Menopause and type 2 diabetes

juliekem

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just been looking through some old posts and found some on the menopause. I wonder if anyone else was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes within 2 months of having their last menstruation like me? I have always thought that it was a bit too much of a coincidence. A good thing though was that at the same time as I developed the diabetes (or at least it made itself very manifest by altering my vision) the dreadful migraines that had blighted my life since I started them in my teens STOPPED altogether. Again, probably due to the cessation of periods (which is when my worst attacks occurred.)
Has anyone else had these homonal links?

The relationship is not clear with some research showing increased risk of diabetes and others not.
http://www.nature.com/nrendo/journal/v5/n10/abs/nrendo.2009.166.html

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a male you have my sympathy!

I've a mum going through this now,
Cinnamon is well touted as good for type 2 Diabetes and particularly in research in the far east also proved effective at easing manopause symptoms,
Alternatively there's also this :

Black Cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosa)

This is traditionally known as the menopause herb and is one that Prevention considers a hormonal treasure chest. It's been shown to be effective at reducing the severity of hot flashes, memory loss, depression, and mood swings and to improve the thickness and elasticity of vaginal tissues. Even The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) in Washington, DC, agrees that black cohosh may be an alternative for women who choose not to take HRT.

Best of luck ladies :D

juliekem

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Pat, I had a look at the site and as you say, the results are inconclusive! Interesting, though as the other strange thing for me is that I have only one known relative who ever was diagnosed with type 2 and that was a great-aunt, so not close AND she was in her late 90s when diagnosed despite being fat for all the time I knew her! Other relatives were well over 80 when they died (including both my parents.) I have owned dogs throughout my 32 year marriage (except for a six month period) so have always walked daily (except in exceptionally bad weather lol) but I have been on permanent (low-fat) diets virtually since I married. Depsite this, my weight has risen slowly but surely untill I came to believe that I cannot lose weight, but have to diet to stay the same. It is interesting that I exhibited a high FBG whilst I was pregnant the last time of which was 25 years ago now. It was not pursued at the time because I was unable to go for so long without food due to feeling sick etc (otherwise the GP wanted me to do a Glucose tolerance test.) Also, fasting for more than 12 hours over night used to bring on Migraines.
I do wonder if apart from hormones triggering diabetes, being probably pre-diabetic for many years prevented weight loss.
When I asked the consultant about this he surprised me by saying that they knew that there was a relationship between obesity and type 2 diabetes but they didn't really know which way round it was! (He was a researcher to whom I had been referred as they wanted me to take part in a clinical trial.)
I love to read up on the research, it gives me a feeling of having some control at least - thanks again for the link.
ps - I do low carb dieting now, but find it hard to totally avoid bread!

World Hereafter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Please, don't ever use Black Cohosh unless you have been properly/professionally assessed by qualified herbalist or Medic, as it can have serious side-effects for some MenoP women - extremely heavy bleeding for example. I'm sure you meant well suggesting this remedy, but it is NOT recommended for many women, and can even be dangerous in some cases.
There are many other herbs which are safer and more effective for MenoP - e.g. Borage, Agnus Castus, etc.
Please, get assessed properly before taking Cohosh!

:thumbup:

MCMLXXIII said:
As a male you have my sympathy!

I've a mum going through this now,
Cinnamon is well touted as good for type 2 Diabetes and particularly in research in the far east also proved effective at easing manopause symptoms,
Alternatively there's also this :

Black Cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosa)

This is traditionally known as the menopause herb and is one that Prevention considers a hormonal treasure chest. It's been shown to be effective at reducing the severity of hot flashes, memory loss, depression, and mood swings and to improve the thickness and elasticity of vaginal tissues. Even The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) in Washington, DC, agrees that black cohosh may be an alternative for women who choose not to take HRT.

Best of luck ladies :D

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If in doubt don't take it of course, I'm simply offering a suggestion for further investigation should you feel inclined.
There's always the possibility of adverse side effects, a friend of mine went haywire on commonly used ginseng.
A "safer" remedy is lots of asparagus!:grin:

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app