Have you had trouble getting test strips?

Have you ever had trouble getting test strips?

• Yes

Votes: 96 56.1%
  • No

Votes: 75 43.9%

• Total voters

Sabina81

Im a type 1 diabetic who also works within healthcare so I am aware of the difficulties the NHS faces,however I recently gave birth and whilst I was pregnant as expected I needed to check more frequently&I refused extra test strips.I complained to my GP & he stated that he was set targets by the local PCT.I was disgusted that someone cares more about targets than their actual patient.I was told the only way they would give me more was if a diabetic consultant would confirm that I needed to test my blood glucose more.My diabetic do.Buy.ctor& nurse were also shocked &disgusted.Buy having this attitude the NHS loses because no.blood glucose strips lead to less stable HbA1c's ,more complications& therefore more medications&proceedures beong carried out!

DylansDad

Dislikes
diabetes
At my initial T2 diagnosis appointment I was told not to bother buying a meter as I wouldnt get test strips. I have pursued this to the pct and still cannot get them.
At a recent review I expressed frustration at the fact that hba1c only really looks back over 3 months. As I was on 6 monthly checks I wasn't happy to be unmonitored for half of the year.
Am now on 3 monthly hba1c plus metformin & statins
dd

Tracyst68

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been cut from 2 boxes per month down to 1. I usually test 2x daily but unfortunately because of the reduction one box will only last 2 weeks. I have had Type 1 diabetes for 28 years and have never abused what I asked for, it was for a reason. Significantly my diabetes is being affected as I now find my readings are all over the place. I work within the general practice area where we are told that diabetes is on the increase. As a diabetic we are told to take care of ourselves by watching what we eat and what signs we need to look out for but this reduction is going to have a knock on effect on the overall health of diabetics and will end up costing more due to the complications that we can face :!: At the surgery where I work our medicines management team have struck a deal with a company for a 'preferred glucose testing machine and test strips' but whether this will in turn increase the amount of test strips a patient can have we will have to wait and see. :thumbdown:

liz7859

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello People, I was diagnosed type 2 in December just gone. My DN gave me the test monitor and repeat prescription for strips from day one, I just hope they dont decide to take it away from me as I find it very useful. Im gobsmacked to read about people who have never been given monitors at all particularly type 1 people. :crazy:

Riversidegirl

Dislikes
Scare stories!
Apparently I would become paranoid if I was given a monitor and strips. :crazy: I find this view patronising as I like to be in as much control as possible with my medical issues.

It just doesn't add up that diabetics are being denied the tools they need to prevent their condition getting significantly worse and costing the NHS more later.

As a previous poster said; why are they so freely offering metformin? Are they sponsored by drug companies :?:

duranton1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I too am having problems getting test strips. I am type 1 Diabetic taking insulin 5 times a day. I have been a Diabetic for 46 years and the frustration of trying to obtain strips which enable me to control my diabetes drives me crazy. It is bad enough having diabetes without the added tress of getting what is an essential part of a diabetics lifestyle. Bear in mind if I do have a problem due to bad control it will be put down as my fault and inability to control my diabetes and not lack to strips available.

karen13

Oh yes, i have to buy my own . £27 for 50 strips , its so not fair :( ps, doc says you don't want sore fingers do you (no ) i would like to keep my fingers its a joke really , im sure its all about the money

James12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yes, there are a load of other threads about this, its a serious problem.

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Stormylady said:
I'm type 2, and was refused any test strips. At the moment I just cannot afford any more, I've run out, and I do keep getting hypo's. I'm on metformin. So of course I cannot keep any record of what is happening to me, but hey, as we say, when I have complications it'll cost the NHS more in the long run. I will buy some more strips as soon as I can afford them by the way. :roll:

I'm finding this hard to believe as Metformin is not a hypoglycemic drug

tommo1968

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Recently yes. I got a letter from my GP stating that the latest recommended testing frequency was to test once daily or as directed by your GP/Nurse.

I wrote back stating that that according to DAFNE I need to test before every meal and before driving and exercise.

They have written back stating that the guideline states '..or as directed by your GP/Nurse'

Personally I don't believe the rubbish the Purfleet Care Centre wrote back with and all I can say is that since 1984 when I was diagnosed the treatment of diabetes has constantly got worse. GPs and Clinic visits are the worst areas.
I thought that going on the DAFNE course would make things improve, but since the GP Surgeries are only interested in money rather than patient care it will be an ongoing problem.

maggy

happycat said:
I was diagnosed as type 2 in September and have been soundly "ticked off" for daring to home test and keep a food diary. Apparently this is obsessive behaviour and is very harmful. I was also told that I cannot have a prescription for strips as they are not necessary as the only test that counts is the annual HbA1c. The fact that I have lowered my BG reading from 85 to 46 does not count at all. I don't think that I could have done it without testing and will continue to do so, although I will no longer talk about what I do with either the doctor or the nurse. I have paid for my meter and strips and will continue to do so. I have been offered Metformin, anti-depressants and statins. Are they free to the doctors? :crazy:
Thank you for this posting I feel the same about the prolific handing out with these drugs .
I know in my case loss of weight and increase in activity would be more beneficial :D

Johncom

I was using a BG Star machine sent to me via diabetes.co.uk but have been told I must now use a machine provided my by local PCT as the testing strips are cheaper.

bpitbladdo

I live in Scotland and I've been Type 2 for a year and a half now and been able to keep control through diet. I like to self test maybe once or twice a week just to keep an eye on how I'm doing. My average result is 7.9 mmol/L. The Doctor refused test strips and lancets and the Diabetes Nurse tells me that self testing blood sugar is "irrelavent and a total waste of time" (accompanied with a wave of the hand) and flatly refuses to discuss it. I do understand that the HbA1/c blood test taken by the nurse is much more acurate and reliable but is only done every six months or yearly. Surely there is nothing wrong with self monitoring that would show, for instance, a sudden increase or decrease in blood suger out of your 'usual' range. I could argue that monitoring myself and adjusting my diet if there was say, a sudden increase (addicted to Liquorice Allsorts) is keeping me away from the GP or Hospital consequently saving the NHS vast sums. I'm a person in mid sixties, on a fixed income and the strips are expensive to buy.

Bryan P.

ykcool

From what ive read it sounds like its down to individual nhs areas, as Ive never had a problem getting strips and lancets ( Im type 2 ). I have heard from some people that they dont get them off their GP. It must be down to the " nhs postcode lottery "

Sent from my GT-N7000 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Wenan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am type 2 diagnosed Nov 2011 and was told on my Desmond course I didn't need them and that testing should be left to the medical profession, so I have never mentioned it to my nurse or GP. I bought a meter online and buy my strips from ebay! On my last hba1c the GP didn't tell me the numbers but said I was in the non diabetic range. I usually test once a day first thing in the morning and am usually in the 6. range.

Leeroy1303

Yes I've had trouble in the past getting strips I've been type 1 for 27 years and test 4 times a day I was once refused strips by a doctors receptionist as ihad only had my prescription two weeks earlier and she told me I should only be testing once or twice a week ! That soon changed when I got my DSN to ring the surgery on my behalf

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

helen777

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I would say as type 2 I expected difficulties in getting testing strips but have not yet experienced any problems yet.

The main problem was getting a meter in the first place!

I have tried several different medications which I have reacted against, eventually the gp referred me to hospital consultant who I saw for the first time last October.I had refused to take any meds after taking gliclazide, within 2 hours I was incapable of sitting up without passing out, gp said it was a virus, funny it wore off in less than 12 hours after taking tablet. No meter at that time. If a med can alter your blood sugars so that you cant function you need to be able to self test. The consultant recommended that I have a meter to gp and they have not queried anything since.

My reasoning for using a meter is if I am taking medication that lowers my blood sugar then I should be able to monitor it. A detailed picture is built up of how my body reacts to any meds, illnesses, different foods, stress factors and anything else that I can add to the complete picture. It has given me a form of awareness and some peace of mind knowing that I am involved in the care of me.

All too often we are told to take charge, its your body. Well give us the right tools to do that!

Also look at the cost, if I have a hypo or hyper due to not being able to monitor and take action for myself then the nhs will incur the expense of paramedics being called, hospital bed being occupied, etc when there maybe others in more need of the assistance.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I didn't vote, but just out of interest, I get 400 a year. I live in Switzerland and am T2.

wchrisuk

I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago tomorrow, the first appointment with the diabetic nurse was ok but told to test only 3 Times a day, when I went back last week was told off for doing it on occasions 4 times and now told to only test maximum of twice a day otherwise i won't be able to get more strips,

I was on the understanding as a newly diagnosed you are ment to Test regula?