WHO'S ON STATINS

ALLISON462

I went to see my GP today and she said that all type 1s should automatically be put on statins. This is not something that I've heard of before. Is everybody else on them (because they are diabetic rather than have high cholesterol).

misslotty1

My doctor decided I needed to be put on statins as my levels were slightly above "limits" so I agreed and picked them up from the pharmacy. When I got home and read the leaflet they had given 40mg ? That is recommended for people with heart disease. Once I read the side effects I decided they were not for me just yet. I am attempting to get it down with diet, which I would have thought the doctors should be encouraging first ???

Sent from my GT-P3110 using DCUK Forum mobile app

MAMA2X

Hi,
Just like misslottie1 I was put on statins 40mg by the doctor who said all diabetics are put on statins as a standard because of the risk of complications. I had terrible side effects aching joints and chest pain I felt very old and even found it hard to walk without pain and had previously had no problems at all with mobility I am not yet 50. When I told him of he problems he just said I will reduce the dose but keep taking them. Same thing happened so I just stopped taking them and miraculously all the pain went away. My colesterol is 4.5 which is ok in my books and the mix of good and bad is ok too. I understand we are more at risk but while I can still move and take exercise and my colesterol is ok I will resist taking them. I follow a low carb diet with some fat in meat butter cheese etc and this way of eating seems to suit me and my BG. :crazy:

mish1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Prevastatin 10mg per day .. type 2 but I had a stroke last year

juliekem

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
They put me on symvastatin because when I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes I had cholesterol readings of 23 and 24.5 (they did a second one because they thought the first might have been a lab error.) After my cholesterol went right down I got the dose halved from 40 mg to 20 mg and I have stayed on that. I had to stand up to my GP though - not pleasant if you are a person who does not like conflict. My cholesterol is now about 3. (I have a syndrome whereby my cholesterol level is linked to my blood sugar level.)
Statins appear to be the modern "wonder drug" if you read the articles in the press. I think that all people are going to put on them eventually, especially older people. For example, My Aunt (who is over 90) has much healthier blood pressure than me - less than 120/70 yet she has been put on a blood pressure tablet purely because of her age. It makes her tired but like many elderly patients she won't challenge her GP.
The drugs companies want us all on meds even if we don't need them.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Am type 1 and have had no mention of statins from nurse, doctor or consultant. I would think that u should only have statins to deal with high blood pressure as a non diabetic would.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

ALLISON462

A bit of a mixture of answers! I resisted my GPs advice especially as she doesn't even know my cholesterol levels! Makes you wonder if they get bonuses!!!

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is funny, as I know other people told to go on statins kust necause there type 1. Yet other nurses docs will say no you only get them if u need them. As ever inconsistent advice from the medical professionals!.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
ALLISON462 said:
I went to see my GP today and she said that all type 1s should automatically be put on statins. This is not something that I've heard of before. Is everybody else on them (because they are diabetic rather than have high cholesterol).

It's been mentioned and I have chatted with my Endo and GP about taking statins but have yet to take them, my last cholesterol results were well below the recommended levels so we have decided to review things in a year or two.

It depends who you speak to really as to whether all type 1's should be on statins, it pays to ask around and ask for advice and the British Heart Foundation or Diabetes UK is a good place to start.

I have two family members who take a statins and one has seen a dramatic reduction in their cholesterol levels, both have had no side-effects so far, if my own cholesterol levels were high then I'd have no hesitationin taking a statin to reduce the risks.

iHs

I've just started taking a statin, not because my cholestrol level is dangerously high, its because the current research being done has shown that statins can protect diabetics from getting problems with blood vessels. I flatly refused to take Simvastatin 40mg because of seeing some of my friends take it and have problems with walking (stiffness) so started on 10mg of it and then saw GP who said that 10mg of Simvastatin was as good as useless and prescribed 10mg Artovastatin which as yet hasnt caused me any problems.

Interesting to read online about statins causing rising bg levels as a side effect. Must admit 10mg Simvastatin also caused my bg to rise up a bit and I had to start counting it as a carb in my bolus wizard. Artovastatin hasnt done this as yet.

I think over time, more and more diabetics will find themselves being asked to take a statin even with good cholestrol levels. Even if the cholestrol level is under 4.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep, I take 40mg simvastatin. Im type 1. Tried to bring down my LDL myself, failed, so opted to take them.

Geri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stress and feeling exhausted.
No, I wont take them anymore. Was given prescription and took them for a while but felt so ill and could hardly move so I came off them. Im eating almonds instead now. Get results soon from a cholesterol test and hope they are OK but wont take statins again.

Billyp

I was on Statins a few years ago for a couple or three years. I was getting depressed and weapy and I couldn't understand why as I have always been very 'up' and positive. I stopped taking the Rouvastatin which had been prescribed to me. I informed my GP when I met him for a routine check up and he confirmed to me that depression is one of the side effects of taking Statins for some people. As my cholesterol level was 4. Something I was not at risk. So instead I stopped using butter and other fatty products.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All .
With me - I cant 'tollerate' both statins or fibrates ...
So it is my choice to not take anything .

The nausea and headaches and leg muscle spasm/pains were far too unpleasant .
Plus these made my legs 'swollen' too .

The only one that sort of agreed with me was simvastatin but it didnt help my levels
at all .
This is when they were trying all the rest with me .
Unable to tollerate these other options - the consultant agreed it was better to leave
things be . :thumbup:

Have reduced my levels myself via careful foodplans,homecooking, small portions and diet .
It can be done - if it has to be done .
Takes time and effort but worth it :thumbup:

Anna. :)

Morvan

My partner is on statins. He has a strong family history of stroke and heart attack. Obviously, he's diabetic, but has normal BP and cholesterol. It seems to be preventative in his case.

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Not for all the tea in China !

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My doctor said that it was no good treating the diabetes without treating the blood pressure and the cholesterol so I left there with a bag of pills. At that time Metformin was the only one that seemed in any way linked to diabetes. Simvastatin was the statin at the time. Three other types were tried.

A couple of years on and severe reactions to statins means that I am now classed as intolerant of them. Goody goody.

In a more general sense I have a bit of difficulty when I am often given advice that is more to do with cholesterol than diabetes. In some instances the two need different foods. If I mention chips ....well I don't dare mention chips but a reasonable portion does not raise my blood sugar much. Buttered scones (real butter) are nice and I can eat them but I can't tell the nurse about it since she says I have only to eat margerine and then only a scrape because of the cholesterol implications.

Neither of the diet sheets I was given had anything to do with diabetes.

No I am no longer on statins.

Rant over.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So easily prescribed they are (Yoda??!)
In a broad sense they only seem to do any good if you're chronically poorly.
I know 2 people who take them, both of them complain of aching all the time.
With the muscles messes it does:lol:
(Try fenugreek instead)