Cholesterol Levels

Topsec

Hi, hope someone can help me :)

My husband is a T2 and we discovered low carb high fat last year and it has been brilliant for his sugars and he is down to an acceptable level although the doc did highlight his cholesterol was a bit high. Anyway my question was for me actually - because I now eat the same stuff as him I have upped my fat level considerably so I went along to Sainsbury's today to have one of their tests. I had one done years and years ago and it was very low so wasn't too concerned. The results were as follows: total 7.00, HDL >2.59 therefore ratio of <2.7.

The 7.00 worries me but the pharmacist said it was OK as my ratio was good. Apparently my HDL was very good and off the scale and should be lower but their machine won't measure it any less??!!

Should I go to the docs and get it checked out properly?

Thanks all :)

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Topsec said:
Hi, hope someone can help me :)

The 7.00 worries me but the pharmacist said it was OK as my ratio was good. Apparently my HDL was very good and off the scale and should be lower but their machine won't measure it any less??!!

Should I go to the docs and get it checked out properly?

Thanks all :)
Topsec, I would get your chol levels checked at doc's. but ask for the full fasting test :D
I note in a prev posting that you spend part of the year in USA, your US doc may be able to arrange a test which analyses the chol make-up better than our UK test which tests total chol, HDL(the "good" stuff),Triglycerides, and estimates the rest and doesn't analyse the LDL at all!