Whats the most annoying thing people say about diabetes?

Tamarit

what annoys me most after my type 1 has been discovered and I have replied 55years on Insulin . My you,ve cost the NHS a lot!!!

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Tamarit said:
what annoys me most after my type 1 has been discovered and I have replied 55years on Insulin . My you,ve cost the NHS a lot!!!

You should reply "Not even half as much as the Saturday night drunks that the NHS seem to have no issues with treating." If there's one thing that incenses me about anyone yelling about 'how much' someone's health problem is costing the NHS ... it's the Friday and Saturday night drunks who are mollycoddled by the Police, Ambulance and A & E services and even thought of as 'funny' by some.

I really do object to hearing that a pregnant diabetic woman couldn't get an ambulance when she was in ketoacidosis and pregnant women in labour are being turned away from hospitals because there isn't enough staff or beds to cope, elderly people are dying of cold and starvation on the wards - yet we're watching programmes on TV about Police, Ambulances and A & E collecting the drunks off the streets every weekend and dealing with their self inflicted accidents and injuries. These drunkards were fit and well enough to get dolled up at the weekend and go and spend their money in whatever pubs and clubs they frequent. They're well enough to find their own way home.

It also incenses me when I hear people blaming 'foreigners' for coming over here to sponge off our NHS when in fact the majority of immigrants come here to work, they work hard often for lower pay, and they pay taxes and they pay into our system of care too, not to mention the number of immigrants who actually STAFF the NHS and work the God awful hours it demands.

Then it's the 'diabetics' who are growing out of all proportion and using up all the NHS resources. It's all propaganda which our Governments spew out and hope the mindless minions will fall for it and sadly, they do. That sort of propaganda sets man against man and it's all done for a reason. While we're all fighting about 'who to blame' for the Global recession, the rise in the cost of living, the debt crisis ... our Government is chuffed to bits we're all occupied arguing and blaming each other instead of focussing on the higher ups who've made off with and are still making off with our money.

Sort the drunks out, fine them if they're found to be drunk and incapable and putting themselves in danger of injury and harm. Charge them for wasting Police, Ambulance and Hospital time - or would that cause some people who actually work for our Police, Ambulance and Hospitals a little embarrassment because they like to 'enjoy' themselves to excess too when they're off duty? Personally, I've been drunk to oblivion twice in my life, neither time was it intentional, I just can't handle alcohol. I was in my late teens both times it happened and I was totally mortified and humiliated by my behaviour, so much so that I just decided alcohol wasn't worth the trouble.

But we now seem to have a sector of society that measures its own worth by how much alcohol it can consume, how rat***** it can get, how stupefied and how it can get away with using police, ambulance and hospital services as taxis and nursemaids. Drunks might be funny. But they're really not THAT funny. But maybe the Government has a soft spot for them, could that possibly be that if it wasn't for the drunks they'd lose a lot of tax revenue? Is that why they don't mind the cost to the NHS whereas diabetics aren't paying enough alcohol tax to merit decent treatment?

When we have a society that can refuse a pregnant woman in labour a hospital bed while we can scrape up the drunks from the street without a problem ... we have a society with it's priorities very, very wrong.

:shh: I'll shut up now :shh:

coco4

No DON'T shut up GraceK you are absolutely right and I agree with you entirely. I dread Fridays and weekends arriving as I know if I need to go to hospital I know what to expect. I was admitted to hospital with ketoacidosis, "luckily" on a Monday evening when staff were in good supply and knew what they were doing, but as the week wore on and Friday arrived the reduction in staff and expertise was so apparent and what staff there were were too busy dealing with the drunks etc. By Sunday morning two wards with a total of 30 patients had a total staff comprising an auxilliary nurse and a trainee nurse. I was new to diabetes so was at a loss to know what to do about hypos, hypers and testing my sugars etc. I was left in a corner, my insulin drip and fluid drip had been removed, but I was still suffering the effects of the ketoacidosis and my mental state was not in good shape. The budget has to be spent somewhere, however us diabetics appear not to be the deserving members of the population.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You cant eat that.

Grrrrr....

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
coco4 said:
No DON'T shut up GraceK you are absolutely right and I agree with you entirely. I dread Fridays and weekends arriving as I know if I need to go to hospital I know what to expect. I was admitted to hospital with ketoacidosis, "luckily" on a Monday evening when staff were in good supply and knew what they were doing, but as the week wore on and Friday arrived the reduction in staff and expertise was so apparent and what staff there were were too busy dealing with the drunks etc. By Sunday morning two wards with a total of 30 patients had a total staff comprising an auxilliary nurse and a trainee nurse. I was new to diabetes so was at a loss to know what to do about hypos, hypers and testing my sugars etc. I was left in a corner, my insulin drip and fluid drip had been removed, but I was still suffering the effects of the ketoacidosis and my mental state was not in good shape. The budget has to be spent somewhere, however us diabetics appear not to be the deserving members of the population.

Thanks for supporting coco4 ... more people need to open their mouths wide and complain loudly. I think diabetics on the whole tend to play down their condition for one reason or another and perhaps we shouldn't be so accommodating when it comes to getting PROPER attention to our needs.

OK so many diabetics don't consider themselve 'ill' and lead very active, trouble free lives and that's great, but some don't.

I don't consider myself 'ill' either, and my diabetes so far hasn't been that troublesome except when it was undiagnosed. But I do consider myself to have a medical condition which can take me by surprise even if I think I have it under control and through which I may become very ill, very quickly and not have a clue what to do. And if I hear anyone saying that I'm costing the NHS a fortune because I'm a fat, lazy b***h, they're likely to get a mouthful of not very nice language from me and a bit of re-education.

Only today for example, I was feeling great, had a good night's sleep, got up and had a breakfast of bacon, black pud and egg and got on with sorting out my finances, making a few essential phone calls, getting my personal paperwork organised and I felt marvellous getting all that done. So I decided to go food shopping. Went to the local mall, popped in a few shops, was walking down one of the aisles when I felt an earthquake beneath my feet and my eyes went all gozzy and I started to get shaky. "Ooops! What could this be? Was that an earthquake or am I having a dizzy spell?" (I have Meniere's too). I walked a bit further and felt dizzier, felt my thoughts going haywire and realised "Poooiiiing! I'm hungry!" I'd been so busy all day that I'd forgotten I had my breakfast at 10am and it was now 4.30pm and I'd had nothing else to eat.

I made for the nearest Greggs and bought a steak pasty and a little bottle of Irn Bru because I really felt like I was going to pass out and needed something quick. I found a bench to sit on beside a woman who was drinking some Coke. We got chatting. Lo and behold, she was a T1 who had felt like she was going to hypo and I was a T2 who thought I was going to hypo too!" We drank our drinks, ate our snacks and chatted until we both felt stable and we had a good laugh about our predicaments and parted company.

My problem is I don't often feel hunger in my stomach, I rarely get hunger pains, so sometimes I forget to eat my snacks or I will miss lunch, more so at weekends when I'm not at work because I'm less likely to notice the time. So I've got to the point a few times when I've felt faint and dizzy because I've been hungry without realising it. So that blows the myth that all diabetics are diabetic because they stuff their faces with food all day long. Even when I'm at work I miss my morning and afternoon snacks mainly because we have to answer the phone within 3 rings and I don't want to get caught with my mouth full! But I'm going to have to do something about that because by 5pm I'm feeling faint.

So there ya go, a day in the life of a newly diagnosed T2 doing her shopping on Saturday. I didn't call an ambulance, I didn't need the Police and I didn't have to go to A & E. Wonder how busy they'll all be tonight? :roll:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Often hear this line -
Do you have to watch ' what you eat ? '

I dont see it as an annoying thing - more of a curious question :)
I always answer honestly with - YES - I ' DO ' have to watch what I eat .

Then use the opportunity to educate folk about its NOT always about 'just sugar'
being avoided etc...
Many ' are suprised ' to hear of the bread,pasta,pastry conversion of carbs into glucose...

Anna.

coco4

Brekkie sounds delicious GraceK. Glad you were ok after treating your hypo. :D and at no cost to the emergency services or the NHS

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
coco4 said:
Brekkie sounds delicious GraceK. Glad you were ok after treating your hypo. :D and at no cost to the emergency services or the NHS

Brekkie was delicious coco ... I love my black pud! Could live on the stuff.

Strange thing is I checked my BS about 2 hours after eating the steak pastie and having a small bottle of sugary Irn Bru, thinking because of the pastry and the sugar that it would have been higher than normal, but it was 4.2 :shock: That's the lowest reading I've ever had so far and I use a Codefree meter which usually shows a point higher than other meters anyway so it means my BS was 3.2.

I've just sat down and eaten a plate of veggies laced with butter and two pieces of plaice also laced with butter and lemon juice and straight after that I'm downing a sandwich of ox tongue, salad cream and salt and vinegar crisps between two small slices of gluten free bread! Yum! I think that's enough for tonight. :think:

Gems85

Mine is when they refer to my Diabetes as a "disease" which really gets my blood boiling, or when my blood sugar is low "do you need your insulin?" hmm yeah if you want me to go into a coma..

andycap789

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been type 1 since 1962, and weigh 9stone, everyone is obsessed with the being over weight and eating too much sugar, well i was born with it and am under weight at 51, was in hospital due to heart attack, Reasonably well controlled , a Nurse in hospital said i had very uncontrolled diabetes because i took a high dose of insulin, and said its not controlled by insulin and carbohydrates and exercise, as all i should be eating is veg and meat and fruit only when i tried to put her right she refused to listen and wouldnt let me eat anything but veg and meat and fish, and she is supposed to know makes you wonder that really annoyed me as she said her husband was type 1 Baffled me thats for sure

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had a serious accident 14yrs ago and now use a wheelchair. I have put on a lot of weight because of this. I hate it when so called health professioaks say that I am type2 without reading my notes. They assume I an because I am Overweight that I must be. Mind you I enjoy their embarrassment when I tell them I was diagnosed in 1960.

Gems85

Oh, when I was expecting my first child, the first 20 weeks was horendous and was constantly having hypos. I unfortunately had a serious one while waiting for a bus. There was a doctor who was there, who did not look at my medical necklace while trying to ask me, while lying on the floor, what substance I had taken. When I came back around in the ambulance with my partner by my side thank goodness that the emergency services was informed that I had taken an overdose of illegal substances. I couldn't believe that someone like a doctor didn't even look for my medical necklace or my medical card which we are advised to get.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just read through this for the first time.
The posts from diabetes51 strike a big chord with me, even though I haven't really had T1 for that long.
The things I hate will change from day to day.
I hate it when my OH suggests that I'm low when I get grumpy and disagree with him (yep sometimes true, but not always)
I hate the idea, sometimes expressed ,that all you need to do is take some insulin to cover the carbs and that will be fine ie it's very easy; it's not, it takes analysis and a bit of 'luck'
I hate it when doctors ask me what my 'dose' of insulin is . I don't have a dose I adjust it from hour to hour, day to day (so I have an average dose but it will vary immensely)

Other things vary according to what I've read.

Yesterday, I read that the starvation treatment for people with Diabetes back in 1916 (ie prior to insulin) was somehow a good thing and we've forgotten about it .
Personally, 'd prefer not to be dead . I wold undoubtedly have lasted longer than the young children who ended up emaciated and in one case eating the budgie food because he was so hungry but stats tell me that 8 years down the line I'd still be dead (and had a thoroughly miserable quality of life prior to death.)
So that's another thing I hate, the idea that insulin is somehow bad.
Thank you very much Banting and Macleod , I quite like my insulin.

grumpygolfer4

Your diabetic because your fat not that I''ve put a load of weight on since being put on insulin lost a lot of weight when I was on byetta non insulin injection thats what annoys me

heidiphillips

For me, as a mum, its the phrase "your daughter, the diabetic". I hate the words "diabetic", "epileptic" etc. My daughter has diabetes, it does not define her.

FrancesB

GraceK said:
Only now is our Government realising that greed has got it absolutely nowhere, because illnesses created by sugar, tobacco and alcohol are costing the nation a fortune in medications, benefits, etc. So they've gained nothing by advertising cigarettes and alcohol at all. Now we have an obesity and diabetes epidemic and the Government is panicking again. What did it expect? Processed foods which have sugar added to make them 'taste better' and sell more - forget that we grow fatter because we eat too much hidden sugars. Forget that our bodies were not built to cope with so much hidden sugar in our food. So long as it sells and our money is circulated, don't worry about the effects. But there is no EFFECT without a CAUSE.

Rant over :D

I'm sorry if this is a little off-topic, but I had to reply to you, GraceK. I agree with what you said in many ways. The obesity/diabetes epidemic is caused by a change in our environment, not in our willpower. Psychology doesn't change - the world does. I don't know if I share your blaming of the government though. The food industry giants have evolved quickly in a time of plenty (after the war), they've changed the way we eat entirely, and then flatly denied any responsibility for the consequences. Governments have also found it's impossible to regulate them properly.
There was a good program all about it a while ago: The Men Who Made Us Fat

Frances x

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
I rarely mention my condition to my family, much less outside the immediate family circle - no point. They are more advisorys from them on the evils of the demon drink ! Don't you just love families !
I drink, probably to excess according to the health police, along with my other issues the Papworth people give me an A* on all tests.

The trouble with people who, either don't know if they have it yet, or will never suffer from diabetes, have on the whole absolutley NO IDEA what it is, they live on myth and untruths perpetuated by ignorance and sleezepapers, so let's be fair and give them the benefit of the doubt, eh ? poor sods......

Let's hope that they don't end up with it !, perhaps they would be more interested in understanding and learing the truth........

Hic Hic Superchip ( Hi Grace ! )

Oh Yes (edit) Grace, your post was spot on, couldn't agree more, especially when you think that if you took all the c**p off of the shelves in your local supermarket there wouldn't be much left ! BUT the masses would be a lot healthier ! TTFN Chips

Nimster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When people ask me when I am either injecting or doing my bloodsugar, 'Does it hurt?'
Also when people watch you and their first instinct is that you are a druggy!

Of course it hurts but hey we are human pin cushions after all :p