is pump best?

Db2013

My daughter is T1 and has been for two years (she's now 15). Her blood glucose readings have been all over the place for the last five months resulting in lots of broken sleep and she's had hypo seizures. I just want to know if an insulin pump might give her better control and what the draw backs might be. Any advice would be appreciated.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
With good management of a pump with extras that are involved they can give better results.
Hypos at night can be better managed, so too with dawn phenomenom..
I believe there is certainly more necessity to manage your blood tests and adjusting settings... But being able to do these adjustments does give that extra better control.
There is also the bonus that you dont have to inject in public, or to repeatedly inject during the day, as the cannulas are changed over every 2-3 days. I disliked injections constantly but don't mind getting my remote control out...
My previous hospital would allow you to see and speak to other patients on pumps pre deciding and a nurse had a pump too. It maybe helpful to ask your diabetic team whether they offer the same.
Patient if child and parent do have to be prepared for an increase in time spent testing and amending dosages and set ups initially.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I think you will have loads of questions... Personally I wish that pumps were available 27+!years agonwhen I was first diagnosed. I really do.

I find it given me loads more work with my pump.. (10 mins a day!!!-lol!!!) but a huge difference in flexibility and my living and my social and work life. I personally never had this with mdi..

However we are all different. Especially under 20's, under 30's - and god help me... Under 50's .. Just.vwe all have different needs, but trying to get a balanced outcome

Spearmint

Hi, my daughter (just turned 13) has been on a pump for 3 months now.

Her/mine/our overall control is better i would say, her Hba1c has never been so low!
During the day she is generally quite stable but unfortunately overnight is not always so.
She does still suffer night hypos but nowhere near as badly or as often as before.

Drawbacks that we've found:
The hassle and time of disconnecting and reconnecting for PE at school although this is more of a problem for the teacher at school than it is for my daughter
The annoyance of air bubbles
It's more time consuming
We have to take more stuff out with us now

But the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks and we'd never choose to not have a pump.