pump insurance?

lexilox

Could other pump users please share some recommendations for insurance on my pump, I got it yesterday and was told to add it to my home insurance or take out a separate insurance policy for it. Thx

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I use insurance4insulinpumps. Not cheap at around £6 + per month but talor made for pumps. They will send one out next day, full cover for a loan pump on holiday etc. I realise that I am probably paying over the odds but for me it's all about peace of mind. I haven't had the need to use them yet mind you so don't know how they respond in reality. They confirm that they will replace the pump on a like for like basis too.

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
I have registered my son James' pump with the same company as Riri.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I too use Insurance4InsulinPumps, long story but tried to put my pump on my household insurance and they told me they could not cover it then cancelled my insurance without telling me - claiming that their terms and conditions would not allow me to have more than one household insurance policy, which of course was rubbish.

So now have a much better household insurance but use a separate one for my pump.

adrianjdowns

Hi,
I have recently been given a pump and told to insure it. I found that NFU Mutual offer a personal policy which basically covers any items you might be carrying on your person like cash, cards, cameras, etc upto the value of £2000 and I was able to specify the insulin pump as an extra item as its value was £3000. I was amazed but the premium was considerably less than the dedicated insulin pump insurers. The only downside is there is an excess but its only £20 and I am happy with that as the premium is well below £7 a month.

skipbifferty

Hi, is everyone talking about insuring their NHS pumps? I ask this because when I was given a pump on the NHS the nurse said that insuring the pump was a 'grey' area because the pump actually belongs to the NHS but is merely 'used' by us diabetics. Is this true? Don't insurers normally ask claimants to provide receipts etc. for what they're claiming for.

In case you haven't guessed, I haven't got round to insuring mine just yet...................

skipbifferty

Ok don't all chip in at once! After a little research and thinking about my own use, I've decided that insuring the pump wouldn't be worth it. I could pay my home insurance a little extra to insure a valuable over £2500 but I've decided that the manufacturer guarantee would cover most problems I think. I think it's very very unlikely that the pump would get stolen because I'd have to be mugged (since the pump is attached to me 99.9% of the time) and I haven't been mugged since I was a teenager (touch wood). It's much more likely that I would accidentally damage the pump but, even then, I think this is very unlikely compared to the chances that something might go wrong with the pump anyway.

If I did want insurance I would probably put in under house insurance rather than insure it specifically because it's much cheaper, less paperwork and, since I'm very unlikely to claim, my insurance premium is very unlikely to be affected.

Ok you can all carry on with your day jobs now....

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Up to each individual - it's the peace of mind knowing that they will replace the pump for me very quickly that swings it for me. Wouldn't like to be stuck without a pump for weeks or pay out £3k if I did accidentally bash it !! :wave:

iHs

Before I got my pump I never bothered with household insurance to cover contents. We just had buildings.

I was advised by my hospital dsn to get the pump insured and so I took out contents insurance with a well known company and got the pump covered as a named item which covers it for accidental damage in the UK but not abroad as the premium would be fairly high. As Ive no intention of going abroad with my pump on holiday and will just use insulin pens instead, the insurance that Ive got suits me ok.

lexilox

Thankyou all for your thoughts I'll get home insurance quotes this wknd with it included as its time to renew that anyway, if the premiums come up drastically more with pump on I'll go for separate policy, but as my building and contents insurance has usually been under £300 for both and separate policy for pumps sounds like being around £80 a year I think including it on home policy may end up being the cheaper option. It's got a 4 year warranty so apart from drastically physically damaging it myself I think the warranty will cover anything else(?) My DSN says I do have to insure it one way or the other.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I know of a teenager that mislaid her remote control and expected a) hospital b) supplier to replace it free of charge... They didn't. Think they are £100 for the remote control, but does go to show that part of a pump can go missing..lost and they wont be replaced.. It is down to us to look after them from such happenings...

Spearmint

I added the pump to my house insurance which works out about £40 for a full year.
I was told to insure for £3,500.
We were actually given a back up pump from the pump company incase of failure.
I am happy to insure it against accidental damage as it can be so easily dropped!

Trina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who don't try, negative thinking
Good morning. I added the pump to my household insurance. It was quite comical really as I don't think the insurance company knew what it was and so it was a bit pie in the sky guess, but to my advantage, thankfully. Hope this helps

insanity

Hi,
I'm just going through my application to re-new my pump for a further 4 years and my consultant has told me that the rules have changed now and the manufacturers will now issue you with a pump if it is lost and stolen as long as you report it to the police and have incident numbers etc. So you no longer need to add it too your house insurance. Personally I do like to play it safe so will probably still keep it on the inurance. Just thought i'd spread the word :D

ingrid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all, I went on the pump last June & was asked by the hospital to insure it. As I'm on benefits I can't afford household insurance, and the only co. which insures pumps separately (mentioned by others, above) was way too expensive for me. I trawled through old posts about pump insurance here and on Insulin Pumpers UK (IPk) group, as well as discussing it with my DSN. My DSN said in all her years as a pump nurse, she'd only ever come across one person who had their pump stolen - a young woman sunbathing..it was ripped from her by the thief who most likely thought it was an electronic music device or similar! I told her I couldn't afford to insure my pump & there's not much the hospital can do about that! They were ok about it. Also, there are quite a few folks on the IPk forum who travel abroad a lot and don't have their pumps insured - I guess it is very unlikely it will get stolen as it's attached to you and the pump co.s all seem to be totally happy to provide replacements/do repairs when people do have accidents with them, and, as is currently being discussed on the IPk, apparently they have a legal obligation to replace a pump under warranty if it malfunctions.

There seem to be a huge range of experiences with household insurance - people have had pumps added on for no added premiums through to refusals to add it on (they basically don't know what an insulin pump is & don't want to risk covering some obscure expensive medical device), and everything in between like reasonable very low extra premiums to very high extra premiums (again, ignorance about what the co. is covering, so treating it like some valuable piece of jewellery worth £3000).

Now as for my mobile phone which has just got water inside & decided to die, and wasn't insured...! I had a protective jelly sleeve on which collected condensation that got inside the phone!!! So much for trying to protect it.

Ingrid

yakudueye1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sandwich and cold foods