Worried mummy!

Helene83

My little boy Sonny is 22 months old and was diagnosed with Type 1 2 months ago. It has been a difficult time, but I have been feeling very positive as his levels have been good and is seems happy and healthy. However, the past week or so his levels have really dropped and he is going below 4 more often. I know the doctors have said that this is due to the honeymoon period but I am just so stressed and worried. It doesn't help that my diabetes team are unavailable at weekends to help me. Today his sugar levels have gone below 4 on 4 seperate occassions and I am honestly scared to go to my bed incase he goes low in the night. I have reduced his slow working insulin from 3 units down to 2 tonight (I have never done this before) and I just don't know what to do for the best. Any advice from anyone who has been in this position would be fantastic :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You have done what I would do.. Either reduce slow acting or see if he will eat more.. Easiest choice is in someways to reduce.. Thats wld be my preferred option in your situ.
Keep a note of times, foods n activitys..

Helene83

Would you? Well the thing is he already eats loads. He has a big appetite. He is only having between 1 and 1 1/2 units of novorapid as it is so not sure how what to do with that. I am supposed to be carb counting on a 1 - 30 ratio but over the last few days I haven't given him any more than 1 unit with each meal to try and keep his levels normal

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
What type of insulin pen have you got? You cant get much smaller doses by pen....And your carb ratios very small too..
I hope reducing insulin last night may have helped and may keep levels a tad higher today.

Would definitely see hosp tomorrow.. Or even consider a&e today if hypo's persisting?

Do you give a biscuit or something after a hypo? A long acting carb? To keep levels up?

jayne15

We were a bit like this when my little girl was diagnosed 4 months ago to the point we are no longer on actrapid and just 2 long acting before bed. At the weekends I can just ring the childrens ward and they get the reg on call to speak to us if there is a problem could this be an option for you ? pre- bed if we are low we make sure she has a low GI snack to get her through the night (we dont carb count just give her what she needs) so usually it will be 2 rounds of brown toast or a bowl of cheerios with milk, always works and she always wakes up with levels between 6-7. She hasn't had any night time lows since reducing long acting and stopping the actrapid. we did this gradually over time, My daughters levels are always different at the weekend so our DSN has suggested weekend doses compared to weekday doses as she does a lot of sport at the weekend. hope you had a better night last night.

Helene83

He is on novorapid with meals and levemir at night. Had a better night. Reduced his Levemir from 3 units down to 2 units and he was 6 when he woke up. He had half a unit with his breakfast. The carb counting is not working as well as it has been just simply because of the honeymoon period I think. I will need to speak to the dietician on monday. Yes, after hypos I always give the glucogel to bring his sugar up and then a starchy carb either biscuit, porridge etc.

We have a wonderful hospital here and the Childrens Unit are fantastic but I find that the doctors seem very reluctant to do anything with doses etc which I do understand and I am lucky that the diabetes team we have are amazing. Just wish I could speak to them at weekend lol I have left a message for them to say I need to see someone tomorrow to dicsuss it all.

:)

Spearmint

You did exactly the right thing reducing his doses :)

It is very daunting when you are left to adjust insulin doses by yourself but in time you will become more confident

smaynard

My daughter was 3 when diagnosed and we experienced a similar situation.....Once the high blood sugars had been treated for a couple of weeks her requirements dropped considerably. For a period of months she only needed small levels of background insulin and no Nova Rapid...for us, carb counting was a pointless exercise at this stage, her body responded very differently from one day to the next and even half a unit of Nova Rapid would typically send her hypo. We therefore moved to the pump 9 months after diagnosis (we've found the granularity of insulin delivery to be invaluable).
In my experience, the ‘honeymoon’ period is a bit of an enigma, our daughter, 4 years since diagnosis, still has days when her insulin requirements drop considerably and even very small amounts of insulin send her hypo....and days when her requirements are comparatively high.
Until quite recently her insulin to carb ratios for lunch and dinner were to 1 unit for every 35 to 40g of carb. Over the past few months we have seen that increase quite substantially for the first time....she now requires c. 1 unit to 22g.
For our daughter, the exception is breakfast....the typical high carb breakfast with items like toast and cereal are a disaster for our daughter....doesn’t matter what I’ve tried to do with manipulating the insulin she will spike into the teens and then crash. We therefore keep carbs to a minimum at breakfast (she will typically have eggs with tomatoes or similar). I also never give her pure carb meals (at any time of day with the exception of low GI items like apple etc.).....I find combining carbs with protein, fibre and fat makes a huge difference to stability. For example, I never give her a plain piece of toast, however, a piece of toast with cheese melted on top and some tomatoes on the side will have minimal impact on the rise and fall of blood sugar (she has CGMS so we can see very clearly the impact different foods have on her body.....not just where she is from the finger prick 2 hours post meal.... it’s been an invaluable tool in the steep learning curve of trying to master how to replicate a working pancreas).
Personally, I totally agree with your decision to reduce insulin. My diabetes team did in the early days try and insist that low levels were due to insufficient carbs. They gave my very petite 3 year old (she weighed 11 kg) a target of 160g of carb a day....with the goal of trying to get her to tolerate 0.5 units of Nova Rapid....with the benefit of experience I kick myself for initially taking this advice at face value....a pump was what she needed to deal with her very low insulin requirements, not a diet full of starchy carbs!
I note you mention using Glucogel to treat lows...I’ve never had the need to use Glucogel (my understanding is that it is for emergency situations when you couldn’t get other fast acting carbs consumed.....I’ve been told it’s rather unpleasant too).....have you tried using juice or similar? This may be an effective alternative which is more pleasant for your little one.
If I can be of any help, please feel free to drop me a line at any time with any questions. Best wishes and good luck.

jayne15

Hi Smaynard I agree with your comment on Glucogel, we have never used this and would probably only use it if she was conscious and below 2,0 (which luckily we haven't had to deal with a BM that low yet) 1 Glucose tablet works really well and they are small and easy to carry (I think they taste ok as well as they come in lots of flavors) If She has a hypo at home I have more control so will give her some fresh juice or a small full fat coke which works a treat. in the early weeks we were chasing BM's and my poor daughter put on loads of weight due to the amount of snacks she was having to have to maintain blood sugars ( she was told she had to lose weight at her first clinic appointment) when we were following the advise and diet that had been suggested and believe me she couldn't exercise more than she was doing (2 hours of sport most nights) What she needed in fact was less Insulin which seems to have done the trick, BM's and weight now stabilized. Oohh I hope we get a pump I am told you have to fight for these though so doing loads of research before our next appointment still drawing up which really is very restricting to my daughter and us !

emmamadi

Hi!
My son was 2 when he was diagnosed 19months ago. The first few months are the worst, but they do get better (ish :crazy: ) one thought I had with your post was the issue of bed time and sleeping, and the worry of going low. Do you check bloods overnight? I know it's a personal thing and some parents do and others don't. But, for me it has proved invaluable and I would worry too much if I didn't. I check Jac 3-4 times overnight between 10pm and 7 am and I have caught many lows that I have then woken him up to treat. I just thought that if you were worried, you could do a quick check to put your mind at rest?
It's hard with little ones, and I was totally lost and down in the first few months, but now a year and a half on while its not easy by any means, it is manageable, kind of. Jac has many fluctuations in bloods and its hard to see him suffer, but we are getting there slowly but surely :)