Question about life.

emcashby

How do you get back to normal life after being newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes? I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago and am a student in college and have missed a lot of work but going back is hard when you have to pretend injecting yourself in the first aid room is normal.

elainechi

well defining normal is a problem in itself.....why aren.t you testing injecting where you eat.....scary at first but that.ll help....when all the questions why you doing that and a few comments ...no one will really notice your diabetic as it becomes part of you and your normal......good luck xxxxx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since I am old I have known a lot of people with medical problems. I have known people wearing colostomy bags, incontinence bags, artificial limbs, people who take many pills each day and even friends in wheelchairs. Somehow they get over it, possibly because there is no alternative, but somehow they get over it.

Hopefully you will also. Actually I think you may be in the majority.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
There's so much to take in following diagnosis and it can become daunting, in time things will fall into place and life will resume pretty much as it did before, don't be afraid to ask for advice as there is help out there but you need to ask first.

If you feel more comfortable injecting in the first aid room when you first go back then go ahead, however your better just injecting as discretely as you can at the table and in time people will accept this is just part of your life, as elaine says they may be a few questions at first out of curiosity.

Good luck with the course!

Ausra

This is all new to you so it feels strange and abnormal doing new things, like injecting. You'll get used to it. I think it took me 2 years to go back somewhere near to my old self, but i am very stubborn and i have trouble accepting anything new in my life. I'm sure you'll get used to it much sooner.
Some healthy people around me finds it cool that i can control my sugars by myself!! :D Like magic...crazy
And a lot of them asked me to test their sugar after seeing me pricking my finger. (Don't forget to change lancet before and after :wink: )
Even my dad, who is really like old-stuff and hardly anything new in life asked me to test him!
I really felt like everyone around me accepted that i'm diabetic 100 times quicker then i accepted it myself!
But that's how it works in life, so don't worry about what others think while you are injecting. Do it like a star and they will be jelous :D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
emcashby said:
How do you get back to normal life after being newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes? I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago and am a student in college and have missed a lot of work but going back is hard when you have to pretend injecting yourself in the first aid room is normal.

Hi and hello :wave:

It can be daunting and scary for some people at first. It might feel like the end of the world, but it isn't, honestly. It may take a liile while to get your head around it, but you'll get there.

You don't have to inject in the first aid room,if you explain to your friends and peers about why you are injecting insulin, then they would have a much better idea of whats going on. Insulin is a life saver, type 1's cannot go without it, it keeps us alive.

Try and read up as much as you can on Type 1 diabetes and the future will seem a little brighter for you.

Just wanted to say my diagnosis happened in a town and a hospital hundreds of miles away from my home, my children were holidaying with there dad, who had left the family home months before and it very was tough, but I got through it :thumbup:

Take care with best wishes RRB