Im hoping not to bore you all but I really need your advice

Hello Everyone.
Im hoping not to bore you all but I really need your advice

I was taking metformin which was advised by my Dr.
At the time I was working a 12 hour shift. i.e 3 days of 12 hours then 3 days off then 3 12 hours shifts and 3 days off etc
I found with this shift pattern I was not eating healthily, getting very little exercise (I work in a contact centre and I am seated for most of the 12 hours)
On the 3 days I was off I was able to eat healthily, exercise, and have 8 hours sleep a night
My levels were all over the place and this was the main reason for the Dr recommending I take metformin.
I was then able to change my shift, I worked 9-5 for one week, 10-6 the next, I was back home in time to prepare a family meal. I did this for over a year and was able to come off metformin.

I have now been informed that our shifts are changing to the 3 on 3 off again
I’ve spoken to Occupational health who recommended that I have more regular breaks
This is of course is not the answer as I feel I need regular eating patterns, with cooked food rather than sandwiches and canteen food and regular exercise, at the time I finish work I am at home for 9.30pm and don’t feel I have time to wind down before its time for bed, this in turn is giving me disturbed sleep. I am then up in the morning for 7am.
The manager who has made the decision for the shift change is not medically trained and has no medical degree.
A fellow colleague has the same condition and actually has a letter from her Dr recommending she does not do the 12 hr shift pattern but this has also been refused
Where Do I stand, can my employers do this?
My employer does not have a union
We have an econ rep that has had meetings with management over this but they are standing firm.
They have advised they will look for other employment within the company which hasn’t happened and I find that I am applying for other positions within the company with no sign of any backup from the econ rep.
This whole thing is really stressing me out and My Yearly appointment is due at my doctors and I know my results are going to be bad
Please can someone help

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Re: Im hoping not to bore you all but I really need your adv

I am really sorry this must be very upsetting for you , I cant advise except to say ask your GP for a letter for the company and the send it to the highest manager in the company .Mark it for the attention of -- .Even though your work mate hasnt had a response from their letter doesnt mean there is no hope
CAROL

Scoop4

I know that this may be too late but what you need to understand is that there is a disability discrimination action to protect you. You can view it on line but it is very boring the gist of it is that your employer need to take your disability into consideration what I would suggest you do is ring ACAS they can advise you on your basic employment rights this would include the disability discrimination act. All your employer needs to do is adjust your job to keep you in work and if anything happens to you and they have not made any changes then they can be in trouble and liable to legal action as the DDA is law. Take a look at the DDA on line as well as the ACAS site hopefully you will get a lot of advice. Don't know if you feel this way be I did I thought that because I had some thing wrong with me and I didn't feel I could work as well as everyone else I felt like I owed my employer more and I shouldn't complain about their treatment of me.

MrsBRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

ButtercupDaisy

You have said exactly what's happening to me !
Worked for a massive mobile phone company in a call centre for over 7 years now & done every shift thrown at me & always had to get letters from my doc to say how the shifts affect me & fight until I get breaks allocated.
Finally over a year ago I was put onto a 9/5 mon/fri shift & i managed to get my blood sugars below 10 regular exercise healthy eating & lost over 1stone in weight. I felt great on this shift.

Then April this year another shift rewrite ( god only knows why this happens at lease once a year ) & I was put on the same shift as you 12hrs 3on3off. I've had really bad hypos at work. 1.7 & I couldn't talk. No one cares. Paramedics should of been called.
I'm sick of fighting again for a shift change. This is affecting me mentally now. I know I need to get back in control but its impossible on this shift. Occupational health have said earlier this year that basically the shift I was on ( office hours ) is perfect so leave me alone. Now they've said the 12hrs have affected my health change it. My doc has sent letters & then an independent doc has said the same.

I've now been offered 1 week early shift & 1 week late shift. How is this regular ? Been told there's lots of diabetics that cope. I've coped but after having type 1 now for nearly 30 years I know this is knocking years off my life I will die from this disease. The docs have sent these letters for me. Not other diabetics.
I'm off work sick at the mo. but I'm sick of being sick. I want to be working & healthy & happy.

There moan over. X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Dabboo

Hi Buttercup Daisey, just joined today and read your post. Did you get the problems of your shift pattens sorted?