How much do you take?

kjw123

This is just a query as to how much insulin do other T1's take in comparison to me....I take 72 units of Lantus every morning and between 12 - 16 units of Novarapid after meals I also test about 5 times daily. (T1 22 years).

Help me out guys please.

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I take 24 units of levemir split into 2 doses, 10 units in the morning and 14 at night. Novorapid varies as I seem to be more sensitive to it as the day goes on, on average 15 units/day....ish

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
6-22 units of Lantus depending on how much exercise I'm doing. 4u Novorapid for each meal.

erinkirby

I'm on 12 units of Lantus before bed, and anywhere between 1 unit of Humalog per 10g of carbs or 1.5 units per 10g of carbs depending on what time of day it is - I seem to need more Humalog as the day goes on, probably because the Lantus is leaving my system the closer I get to bed time. It's a bit of guess work for me most of the time!

nixlou

I take 5-9 units of Novorapid with every meal depending on what I am eating and doing, then 16 units of Levemir at bedtime (about to change to Lantus on the same dose). T1 for 23 yrs.

iHs

kjw123 said:
This is just a query as to how much insulin do other T1's take in comparison to me....I take 72 units of Lantus every morning and between 12 - 16 units of Novarapid after meals I also test about 5 times daily. (T1 22 years).

Help me out guys please.

Am a bit puzzled as to why you are asking the question about how much do you take, What is your concern?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
There's so many factors that influence usage so comparisons serve little purpose IMHO, however as you've asked my TDD is currently 34-36 units...... lantus once a day at 18 units and novorapid at 16 -18 units.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
T1 pump user ... But... Habing the pump has made me realise how much can also be down to qty of foods ate as well as the types of food... And of course our own bodies.
I still dont worry how much I use as long as I keep within my levels.
At xmas when Ibalways eat anything and everything, as well as bolusing extra I also have to turn my pump up to 250% on its increase for my basal rates because my body isnt used to sitting down and eating, eating, eating...
Also if I eat a chinese or indian (rarely) I have to have extra.
I know if I changed my job or did less activity my insulin usage would double.

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
iHs said:
Am a bit puzzled as to why you are asking the question about how much do you take, What is your concern?

general interest? wondering how you compare to other diabetics? being engaged with your medical condition? learning more about diabetes?

----------------

I was taking 80units of Lantus up until recently and 2units of Humalog for every 10g of CHO.

Then 6months ago I started on Victoza and that has reduced my Lantus to around 60units and my Humalog to around 1unit per 10g CHO.

having insulin resistance as well as T1 is a right pain. The high levels of insulin required and everything that goes with that is really not good.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I take 12 units of lantus at bed time and about 2-5 of novorapid with meals (depends on carbs). There are days though i take much more of novorapid. It all depends on carbs intake

dcoppard

Just out of interest I have been taking Lantus for 3 years and Novarapid for 1. It was only a short while ago I realised that 1 unit of insulin is actually 3 units on the pen. Therefore when I inject 60.units of lantus that is only 20 units of insulin.

I just wonder how many people realise this and whether this ever causes any problems. Certainly it was never pointed out to me when I started injecting. :!:

Sent from my HTC Desire C using DCUK Forum mobile app

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just out of interest I have been taking Lantus for 3 years and Novarapid for 1. It was only a short while ago I realised that 1 unit of insulin is actually 3 units on the pen. Therefore when I inject 60.units of lantus that is only 20 units of insulin.

:shock:

kjw123

Mostly out of curiosity to see how my intake of insulin compares (in general) to others. I can see from some of the replies my Lantus is quite high compaired to other people but I'm guessing I have built up some insulin resistance over the years. Hence requiring higher doses.

picklebean said:
iHs said:

general interest? wondering how you compare to other diabetics? being engaged with your medical condition? learning more about diabetes?

----------------

I was taking 80units of Lantus up until recently and 2units of Humalog for every 10g of CHO.

Then 6months ago I started on Victoza and that has reduced my Lantus to around 60units and my Humalog to around 1unit per 10g CHO.

having insulin resistance as well as T1 is a right pain. The high levels of insulin required and everything that goes with that is really not good.

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Btw, I wasn't posing more questions kjw123 - I was suggesting possible reasons why you were asking, haha... just in case you felt I was interogating you!

iHs

kjw123 said:
Mostly out of curiosity to see how my intake of insulin compares (in general) to others. I can see from some of the replies my Lantus is quite high compaired to other people but I'm guessing I have built up some insulin resistance over the years. Hence requiring higher

Hi

In general, someones insulin need is determined a bit on their bodyweight so you might not be as resistant as you think, if you are of normal build for your height.

I'm on 28 units of lantus which i take at 6PM at night (took it from that time since diagnosed) and i vary from 8-14 units of novorapid per meal, diabetic of almost 6years

Ausra

I inject 10 units of Lantus every night and novorapid i adjust to the carbs i eat..usually i need 2-3 units but if i go crazy with sweets i may need up to 10 units ..dafne says you should not take more then 10 units of quick acting at one time.. the rule is 10g carbs=1 unit of quick acting. but there is more calculation to do..for everyone it's different

Geri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stress and feeling exhausted.
Hi, I take 12 units total twice daily Levemir and 2 - 5 units Novorapid with meals depending on carbs taken. (Currently low carbing. Type 1 since 1970.)

JontyW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance & Arrogance.
ewelina said:

:shock:

Eh? What are you talking about? I use a Lantus Solostar pen which contains 3mL in total. The strength is 100u/mL so the pen contains 100 x 3 = 300 units. The graduations marked on the pen are from 300 to 0, so if I dial up 60, that is 60 units and NOT 60/3 or whatever you seem to think it is.

Please explain why you think "1 unit of insulin is actually 3 units on the pen"?

Jonty

JontyW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance & Arrogance.
kjw123 said:

Help me out guys please.
Hi,

I think the key point of interest here is not so much how much insulin you take, since that will depend on your carb input, but the insulin-carb ratio for each meal.

I take 12u Lantus am and then have a quite scary Humalog ratio:-
1) at breakfast:- 12u per 10g carb (so 35g carb needs 42u)
(Note: no lunch carbs or bolus taken)
2) for evening meal:- 3u per 10g carbs (so 50g carb needs 17u)

So TDD is 12 + 42 + 17 = 71, with % Lantus of 12/71 = 17% which is a very low % compared to a suggested typical level of 50% of TDD.

Anyone know why my breakfast ratio is so high and changing? It's strange but 6 months ago (Aug-12) the breakfast ratio was 5u per 10g carb, and it has been reducing steadily reducing over that period. What is it in the body that dictates the insulin-carb ratio .. I really don't understand so any ideas would be welcome.

Jonty (T1 43 years)