Smoking

Ausra

This is the subject i can't find on this forum, and yet it's interesting how many diabetics still smoke.
I am a smoker myself. I have tried giving up ever since i was diagnosed..i managed to give up for a year, but then came back and felt happier smoking again. Now i am considering stopping once again because of the complications facing me in the future.
It's just so hard..
What are your opinions about smoking and managing diabetes?

twinkle1980

No opinion as such but I'm an ex smoker (2years this week!) and manage my nicotine addiction with an e-cig... After failing at stopping umpteen times even with champex I decided not to give up.. well I bought an e-cig for those social occasions where smoking isn't permitted (or those evening's when you run out) and once started I didn't go back!

I know all about the health problems related to smoking, but not only was I addicted I actually enjoyed smoking! Now my body is fooled into believing its still smoking, but I don't have the smells and enjoy my e-cig much more. I'm vaping mint choc chip today - its like inhaling an aftereight, and yesterday's was papaya and mango. Delish.

I'm not going to preach, smoke if you want to just make sure your decision is an informed one either way.

Xx

Sent from my HTC Sensation using DCUK Forum mobile app

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
HI, Ausra :)

Now i am considering stopping once again because of the complications facing me in the future.

I wish you the best of luck in your next attempt to give up the dreaded cig;

I am one of those lucky ones that give up 30 years ago. I wonder if I would be here now If I kept up my addiction for cigarettes.

You have got to find something that will make you happier when going through your non-smoking period.

It is not easy, nevertheless if you did it for a year, you must be strong enough to see sense.

Roy. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi I gave up smoking 3 years ago,on January 23rd 2010. It was one of the best things I ahve ever done and I wish I had done it sooner. The first week was the hardest, my brain was saying' give me a cigarette, you know you want one' but I didn't do it, I was determined to give up, but it was on my own terms. One day I just said,right thats the last packet of cigarettes and just stopped, then I went to a great help clinic and I was given patches. I also had fantastic support from my 9 yr old D and the money I saved went on decorating her bedroom, new carpet, bed, paint etc.

You will need to want to do it and have a lot of self control, willpower and sheer determination. I cant stand someone smoking near me the smell now makes me gag :sick: which I thought I would never say!!!

Honestly, if I can do it, then anyone can, 30 years of smoking :shock: :shock: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Smoking can affects your lungs, eyes, gums,circulation, smelling of cigarettes, smelly breath, the oxygen level is drasically reduced and of course there's cancer and its also seen as anti-social and I didn't want my D to think smoking was an ok past time when you become an adult.

If you can do it, go or it and I wish you lots of luck. There are lots of products out there to help and local Pharmacists often do Quit smoking clinics.

All the best RRB

Ausra

Suddenly i feel guilty for smoking :)
Thanks guys, i appreciate your answers. You have given me motivation and courage to try quit.
I tried patches before and it did help, that's how i stopped for a year. I would like to try e-cig now.. feel a bit sceptic about it but it's worth a try.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ausra said:
Thanks guys, i appreciate your answers. You have given me motivation and courage to try quit.
I tried patches before and it did help, that's how i stopped for a year. I would like to try e-cig now.. feel a bit sceptic about it but it's worth a try.

Best of luck and if ever need to let off steam or finding it hard, then please feel free to pm me. I've been there :lol:

Best wishes RRB

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hate smoking with a passion having lost my father and father-in-law to smoking related cancer, the following is from Diabetes UK that explains the risks associated with smoking whilst diabetic:

Smoking and diabetes

Almost everybody is aware of the dangerous link that smoking has with diseases such as cancer, but are you conscious of its connection with diabetes?

Cigarettes contain more than 4000 chemical compounds and at least 400 toxic substances.

Everyone risks damaging their health through smoking a cigarette, pipe or cigar, but for people with diabetes the risk may be even greater. If you have diabetes you already have an increased chance of developing cardiovascular disease, such as a heart attack, stroke or circulatory problems in the legs. Combine this with smoking (which can also double your risk of complications) and you make the chances of developing these diseases even higher.

Smoking:

when you have diabetes can make it more likely that you will develop neuropathy (nerve damage), nephropathy (kidney damage) and retinopathy (eye damage).
decreases the amount of oxygen reaching the tissues of the body, which can lead to a heart attack or stroke.
increases your LDL (low density 'bad' lipids) cholesterol level and lowers HDL (high density 'good' lipoproteins). This can make blood cells stick together, which can attract cholesterol and fats to stick to the artery walls making it more difficult for blood to circulate. This can damage and constrict (narrow) the blood vessels of the body (known as atherosclerosis) or cause a clot to form and possibly break away to travel round the body leading to a heart attack, stroke, peripheral vascular disease or worsening of foot and leg ulcers.
increases your blood pressure by releasing adrenaline which causes blood vessels to constrict and the heart to beat faster.
raises blood glucose levels. This is probably due to the nicotine and other products involved in smoking which may cause insulin resistance (whereby insulin doesn't work properly) and stimulate stress hormones that can increase glucose levels.
So, like maintaining good blood glucose control, eating well, taking regular exercise and keeping to a healthy weight, giving up smoking is one of the most beneficial things you can do for your future health.

Pack them in Ausra!!!

Neicy0412

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I smoke too! > stands back to avoid the rotten tomatoes being pelted at me < I find you meet some fantastic people when you pop out for a "quickie" but, that's it, I smoke, I don't rob banks, take hard drugs, mug old ladies, vandalise bus shelters or kick dogs!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neicy0412 said:
I smoke too! > stands back to avoid the rotten tomatoes being pelted at me < I find you meet some fantastic people when you pop out for a "quickie" but, that's it, I smoke, I don't rob banks, take hard drugs, mug old ladies, vandalise bus shelters or kick dogs!

I don't smoke now and I don't rob banks, take hard or soft drugs,mug old ladies, vandalise bus shelters or kick dogs or cats :D

At the end of the day, its your life your killing and it's entirely your choice. We all know what smoking does to the body, whether diabetic or not. But if people want to puff their lives away................ :thumbdown: :(

RRB

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
If you have made an informed choice to smoke, you obviously know the risks. If you do smoke, just don't do it around other people, especially children. They may well not have chosen to inhale nsasty substances.
I've not smoked since the few I had at university 45 years ago, but I was never addicted. T1 husband gave up about 30 years ago, having smoked since age 14! Now of course we cannot be certain if it's T1, which has caused his "diabetic complication" or the lifelong T1. Certainly stopping has helped him to stay alive.
Hana

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
602686_10151198681146930_2036236113_n.jpg

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ausra said:

Giving up smoking gave me diabetes. I must have been on the edge but I started eating too many sweets, especially whilst driving or working at a computer, my weight rose and tipped me over. My own fault of course. At least the money I save on cigs goes to pay for the test strips.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ausra said:

The local Smoking Cessation Clinic put me on Champix. It's a course of 12 weeks worth of tablets which suppresses cravings. You actually smoke during the first week and after 4 or 5 days you feel much less need. On my 7th day I only had 6 cigs in the packet in the morning and thought I surely must need to buy some more for my last day. I normally smoked 30. but no, by 6pm I still had three left of which I smoked 2. I never felt the need to smoke after that. It takes about 10 weeks to lose the craving aspect so the 12 week course has a margin.

It stops the craving but you have to still say no to the habit side of things. All the associations are still there, after a meal for example and you know you'd enjoy a cigarette but you have to say, 'best not'. There is none of that feeling of anxiety or panic though, no cravings. You actually break the many associations quickly, after one or two times, but there are many. After a few months I had lost all of them except I got on a ferry and leaned over the ships rail as it unberthed for the crossing. Then I was very much aware that others were smoking and that was something I was used to doing in this situation. Again, no craving, just a feeling of, I know I would like to join in. On the return journey however, the association was gone.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/smoking-cess ... ampix.html

Ausra

Yorksman said:
Ausra said:

Giving up smoking gave me diabetes. I must have been on the edge but I started eating too many sweets, especially whilst driving or working at a computer, my weight rose and tipped me over. My own fault of course. At least the money I save on cigs goes to pay for the test strips.

Interesting..giving up smoking has been in my mind for 3 years and those years were full of try and fail..and i got diabetes too after about 3 attempts to quit. But it must be a coincidence..well maaaaayyybe the stress of giving up might have fastforwarded the diabetes..who knows.

lenipenny

The ecigs are electronic its flavored water vapour with nicotine in. The nicotine isnt harmly just addictive its a good idea especialy for someond like me who genuinly enjoys smoking i pkan on gettin on as soon as i have the.money

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To re-tread an old joke I find it easy to give up smoking, I've done it thousands of times.

Actually there is some truth in that. I gave it up a number of times but the only way that worked was complete cold turkey. No-one else to blame but yourself you see. Also, no gizmos which take away the nicotine but leave the habit.

I finally gave up in 1979 and have not smoked since.

lenipenny

I have given up before and i know i should but at the same time i enjoy it its made harder by the fact my other half smokes we tryed quiting together but he gave in and being aroubd him made me get back on the wagon im fine if im aline but my whole circle of frends smokes too and thr action of smokin is a comfort aswell

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i have been on "vip" ecigs since 1st of october, i find them great, i told the doc and dn they seemed fine about them