Low Carb Success

LesleyAnne2

Wow Anne that's absolutely fantastic.
A big well done from me. What a difference this forum has made to our lives.

Like you I probably overdo the HF part of the LCHF, although from my reading it looks like we should be aiming at getting 80+% of our daily calories from fat and I am pretty sure I do that (from the couple of random counts I have done).

I think maybe my portion control is still a bit out, as I still have the "eat everything in front of me" mindset. I find that the hardest to overcome. And also, I haven't really picked up my exercise yet, it's on the 'to do' list but as yet not done. I think that will become easier in the spring. What would be really nice would be a buddy to go out for walks with in the evening - maybe I should start a thread for that (or do a search and see if anyone else has done one!).

Once again, what fantastic results.. you must be really, really chuffed :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Lesley

annew

A post on another thread recommended myfitnesspal as a good website to use. You put in what you eat each day and it adds up all the different components for you - I really like it. Have never been any good about weighing and writing down but putting it in the computer - well, that's different :D Is certainly showing me that I'm getting far more fat than I thought in my ordinary food and usefully counts the carbs - thought I was under 50 per day (I am) but was never really sure. Very useful and worth a try if you like that sort of thing.

Anne

Madmouse

Hi Lesley, Welldone, how do I get started, I have been diabetic for 25 years and this sounds amazing, I have just gone onto a pump and I think this would also help me to stabilise my levels.
Many thanks
Julz

LesleyAnne2

Hi Julz
Sorry I have been away with work for a few days so didn't see your post until now.
I would suggest that you have a look at Viv's modified Atkins diet thread, and also check out http://www.diet.doctor.com/lchf
I have type 2 diabetes, if you are type 1 then you may need to check with your doctor as your insulin levels will need to be adjusted.
Hope this helps
Lesley

susanmanley

went for my 3month blood tests today and fingers crossed the christmast 'blip' has not done too much damage.
Weight is good so hopeful

When talking to the nurse realised how much low carb diet is now just a way of life for me and no stress. I admit I am not as strict as some but, for example' the sunday raost would have been _ chicken raosted in water with a few raost potatoes, mashed potatoes, roast parsnip, steamed veg such as peas, cabbage,carrots followed by a thick topped crumble.
Had [without thinking about it] _ Chicken roasted in oil with roast veg mix including butternut squash, sweet potao and a quarter of parsnip, steamed beans followed by small ice-cream.

Also I notice the size of portions have unconsciously gone down

A happy bunny!! :D

LesleyAnne2

That's fantastic Susan. It's amazing isn't it how soon we change our thinking...
Do share how you get on :D

I am very strict because I know if I start to slip it could turn into a landslide. I was away with work last week and asked for a low carb meal, they didn't even bother to ask me what I needed just booked me the same meal as everyone else. When the meals were brought out I just turned every course away fully prepared to go without rather than risk the carbs (going without is not the hardship it was when I was a carb addict). One of the waiters though came over and asked me what I could eat and when I said low carb the chef did me the braised steak without all the sauces, and gave me veg without honey. What annoyed me though was that my company had just ignored my request altogether when it was so easy just to get something sorted.

susanmanley

I have been amazed at how helpful waiters/chefs can be. When we had our christmas dinner I had a similar problem but this was immediately rectified be the hotel staff. It really only needed no sauce or dressing, a little extra 'good' veg instead of the potatoes and breast of turkey with no skin.
In fact a neibour said how fresh and nice the plate looked without all the usual 'stuff' :)

gabriele

Hi,
I'm on LCHF for 7 weeks now . So far I'm feeling very good . My BG is absolutly stable now , there are no ups and lows anymore. My weight is still a little bit high , only my opinion. I have started some training and even then I dont get hypos. It is a whole new life for me . In 2-3 months I have a bloodtest but I 'm sure my Hba1c will be around 6 % .
The only thing I can't do is skipping meals , if I dont eat 3 meals a day I start to snack .
My insulin dose is very low now , Insulatart 6 Units in the morning and 6 at night , Novorapid 3 Units for breakfast , 3 Units for dinner.
I dont have any Novo for Lunch because after Lunch I walk my dogs .
I love the diet .

Best
Gabi

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Some really great stories on here. Such a huge travesty that lchf isn't recommended by the nhs.

unigirl

Hi All

This is fantastic to read. Well done to all the successful people posting. As I posted before the NHS told me in no uncertain terms that I should not low carb !!!!! due to risk to kidney's cholestral levels.

I just had a cholestral check and it was total 3.7 ( nurse said this was as near as perfect as she had seen in a long time). I have continued to loss weight despite negativity from GP practice and look forward to my next blood test to confirm what I already now that low carb is the way forward.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Well done
and I bet you didn't find it too hard either!
Hana

LesleyAnne2

That's fantastic news gabriele and unigirl, and yes Sam I totally agree with you.. the NHS should be pushing it for all its worth as it does yield fantastic results. :D

AnnieT

Dislikes
Crowded places
Hi - yes I would be interested if this a diet I could buy and follow. I have found beyond diet on the internet but don't know anyone that has done it so I am a little worried about spending my money on it. Juliencrew I also have an underactive thyroid and I have to take steroids for another condition and now metformin so I am struggling a bit. But I am determined to get both my weight and my diabetes (newly diagnosed) under control.

Wullie

Great thread.

Gone back on this diet with a vengeance. Dabbled in it before after reading Berstein's book but I've found that weighing portions has been a big help.

I use MyPlate at Livestrong.com (yes, I know) and it calculates the exact amount of carbs for the grams of food you're about to eat.

I do get hunger pangs sometimes - can't resist a small handful of peanuts when I arrive home after a hard day at the office.

My weight isn't exactly shifting, however. What are people's thoughts on having a 'blowout' day once a week/fortnight? Eat some carbs (e.g. fish and chips washed down with a pint of lager) - to shock your system?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi there,

This is a great feed and well done anyone doing low carb.

I've also started doing the same, been type 1 for a year, with an under active thyroid and possible Coeliac too ( doctors found on a blood test that I had low iron and calcium levels which could mean not digesting nutrients in my gut = possible Coeliac), oh a little depressed - juggling all that with a full time job in sales and a young child..

I noticed that my BS was swinging high and low and this has lead me to believe that from eating normal carbs inc bread (gluten), rice, potatoes was leaving me with epic highs that I couldnt manage as well as depression, so i've gradually worked this all out from my diet, so now the only carbs I get are from porridge and the odd vegetable, rice cracker, almonds (tiny carbs) and tiny piece of chocolate when I need it or bag of crisps - I average at 80g of carb a day now, I also still take insulin for protein only meals but just 1 or 2ml). My healthcare team was insistent I needed to eat more carbs or else where would I get my energy from, but ignored that and so far am doing ok, just eat salads omelettes with courgettes and feta cheese, mince with some veges or just a curry on it's own from the curry house for a special treat, do have the odd glass of wine or 2 at the weekend. So far i'm managed hypos better, just getting on average one a week, where before was getting 3-5 and keeping BS steady and controlled throughout the day. The only thing affecting BS majorly is periods and stress but at least I know it's that now). Dont know my HBa1c yet but hoping it's an improvement, however long term want to remain healthy and fit so it's work in progress. Havent lost any weight in over 6 months but dont need to for my height etc.

I would absolutely and completely recommend low carb for any diabetic wanting to manage their BS, it's the only way.

Good luck all :clap: