What do you eat to get out of hypos and to stay level

Oliviat1999

A bit bored of dextro tablets and glocose don't know what other things are good.
any suggestions?
Also any carb free snacks you can think of x :?:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Jelly babies work quite fast for me.

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use dextrose gel as dont eat sweets or just water with sugar in.

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
I sometimes have Jam on toast and then the carbs prevent me from having a further hypo later on. If not I stick to the lucozade and maybe some crackers

kezz01489

Dislikes
Judgemental people, everyone is entitled to their opinion but when people don't listen they will never learn. I know that cause that's how I used to be.
thats a fab one jam on toast quick sugar to treat hypo n carbs for later. tasty too. thanks for idea.

Sent from my GT-S5670 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Oliviat1999 said:
A bit bored of dextro tablets and glocose don't know what other things are good.
any suggestions?
Also any carb free snacks you can think of x :?:

What do you eat to get out of hypos and to stay level Hi there, I highlighted the stay level because after having a hypo the BS can shoot up many hours later :( I have found that yogurts are good for me personally, I have tried many things over the years,mainly dextro tablets and the jelly babies, jam, marmalade, or some chocolate etc. Mt BS was 3.7 after dinner last night, so I had an opened tub of Yonken yogurt and had 2 desert spoons, at bedtime I was 7.9 and this morning, at breakfast 9.1 and lunch today, 5.4. so this has kept my BS fairly level without a huge spike afterwards. Now this is something I have started to do and it works for me, because the other quick acting hypos foods send my BS so high I have to take more Insulin to bring it down, but I have to be so careful because I have often gone into hypo again. As I have said this works for me and the 3.7 wasn't a dangerous level, but if it was much lower then I would of had a quick acting sweet food. Its been many, many years of trying and testing different things and I am still learning after 23 years :) I hope you find something that works for you. Best wishes RRB

Jeaniebrock

I was told by my practice nurse that I could not have grapes or banana's,but read somewhere that actually banana's are good at raising BS slowly,so now buy green ones keep them in salad box in fridge and just keep a couple out to ripen,not had any ill effects. Jeanie

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Ref jelly babies..
My dsns insisted I had jelly babies as hypo stoppers.

I stopped the milk and sugar that I had when home, and my favourite which was Lidls mini mars equivalent when I was out..

After doing this for 12 months, my bowel got impacted 3 times in 3 months. Saw a gastroenterolist. Had lots of tests, but he asked me if I had changed anything about my diet... Answer was no, I'm really good at eating fruit and veg and white meat etc.. Then I thought... Jellybabies... I have stopped them totally, and have dolly mixtures or m&s soft mints.. Or roses at christmas..

Since stopping jelly babies my stomach has returned to being normal again. The shapes test the hospital did on me before I stopped the jb said that I had 48 out of 60 shapes still inside my colon after 5 days.. Should have been none .. And I was diagnosed with slow transit colon.

All meds have stopped for my stomach and the jelly babies.. I suspect that the jelly babies somehow afftected the speed of the food processing and moving.. But havent got proof.. Until I either get another blocked bowel in which case I am wrong.

kjw123

Lucozade and a couple of the Go-Ahead bicuits does the trick for me. However I must say I hate how I feel when coming out of a hypo situation when your body gets the sugar rush.......Horrible.

Ausra

When you have hypo you need something acting fast..recomended are jelly babies, gluco tabs,lucozade, cola or orange juice..i go with the juice mostly as i always have it at home and can get it at work easily. But small glass is all i need..i don't want to overdo it and end up too high in sugar. In the supermarkets they have got those small cartons of juice for kids..they are very good.exactly the amount you need. :thumbup:

D

Deleted member 45091

I personally use pure orange juice not the sugar free ones there usually about 20 grams per carton thats if its a fast hypo then about 10/20 grams slow realising stuff like bread or a biscuit..if it seems a slow hypo then a nibble on a boost bar does the trick. I take both out everytime iam out the house.

James12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
enough dextro tablets to raise my blood sugar to a healthy level (4-5), then a small amount of long acting carbs such as one or two rivita

Ausra

DannyH, what is a fast hypo/slow hypo? it's the first time i'm hearing it, asking just out of curiosity :)

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jelly babies make me want to throw up after eating 1 or 2, might be a reaction, anyway, if I don't have glucose tablets handy I eat 2 or 3 chocolate bars, even though they are slow acting, I feel more normal when I have a hypo than having high blood sugar or even normal blood sugar.