carbohydrate"

glass

Another question is around carbohydrate?

In a answer to a previous question someone talked about carbohydrate, yet no one has talked to me about it, so curious how many of them is your target.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Well I havent got any target at all. I eat what I want in moderation most of the time..Some days it can be around 60-100, at xmas i think it would have been closer to 200, as this is the only time I really excess. Hba1c 6.), size 10-12.
Somedays, I'm hungry-sometimes not.
What interests me is whether people count white wine in their carbs. I dont drink it, but often wonder whether people count their alchohol in as their carbs, or coffee / tea with milk?

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I dont have any target either. I eat mainly low carb but there are sometimes meals that are quite high in carbohydrates. i count them of course but its only to know how much insulin i should take.

I count the wine and coffee/tea with milk as well. I need 0.5 unit for tea/coffee despite puting only a little bit of milk (for sure there is less than 5g of carbs and i really dont know why i need so much)

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm T1 and I don't have a target, but I try not to have loads of carbohydrates because I have insulin resistance as well as T1 so my insulin requirements go sky high with a lot of CHO.... and high insulin levels aren't a good idea, especially as I have PCOS as well. :roll:

I never take insulin for milk in tea or coffee... i'd be going hypo left right and centre if I did that - it shows we're all different though and it's best to try things out for yourself and decide what works for you.

As for white wine... hmm, I suppose I take a couple of units but only afterwards if my sugars have raised a lot and only if I'm having something to eat that I'm taking insulin for as well. Alcohol is such a tricky one though with the increase in blood sugar and then the sudden drop at an unspecified time later on.

Glass - I'm shocked you weren't told about carbohydrate! T1 or T2, it doesn't matter, CHO is right at the heart of diabetes whether it's the fact that you need some fast to get out of a hypo or the fact that you need to restrict CHO in your diet. What is happening to diabetes care in some places?!?

glass

Glass - I'm shocked you weren't told about carbohydrate! T1 or T2, it doesn't matter, CHO is right at the heart of diabetes whether it's the fact that you need some fast to get out of a hypo or the fact that you need to restrict CHO in your diet. What is happening to diabetes care in some places?!?[/quote]

The only advice is I got is loose weight, exerciser, bin chocolates :( and biscuits.

How does one start counting carbs?

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glass, your experience is all to common from what I've heard on here and from other type 2's! I wasn't told anything about CHO by my diabetic nurse. Indeed when I told her that I was trying to reduce their intake she told me that I should just steer clear of anything sugary and sweet and that if I ate a normal diet then I'd be fine on Metformin!

Not quite sure that I believe her though! :shock:

SS

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
glass said:
How does one start counting carbs?

A book called The Calorie Carb & Fat Bible 2013 is a good place to start, weigh your food portions out and add together to find the total carbs of your meal.

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why oh why oh why do the NHS continue to fall so far below what is needed for diabetes care?!? It is getting me more and more angry the more I read about it. How can anyone be diagnosed with T2 diabetes and NOT be told about the role of carbohydrates? It's just ludicrous! OF COURSE you need to know about carbohydrates! AAAAAARGH!! :evil:

I hope you manage to learn about CHO counting and what does and doesn't work for you. You can learn a lot from the people on this site. There is a lot of information and discussion in the different sections of the board. Good luck!

jahmoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Horrible People
Re: carbohydrate"

I feel compelled to blame my Doctors for my issues, but in the beginning yes. Told to eat Carbs all day, jacket potatoes and all the **** today we are trying to avoid! This was 15 years ago, now it's all changed. My local surgery told me about DAFNE last year, finding a week for this is difficult at the mo net due to starting new job November. But no one had mentioned this to me up until November!

Just feel sometimes I am the last to know about the changes made. Lucky for me if its not good for me I find out, better now though.

One thing I do need to ask.

If I have 29g of Carb for breakfast how much insulin do I need. I know it's personal, but it won't be much different. If I eat Organic Oats, 40-50g with Whole milk and a cup of green tea and maybe a coffee, I would be looking at around 38g of Carb. I would normally give my self a 10-12 jab 29g when I use Skimmed Milk.

Would I be correct?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
It really depends upon hour carb ratio's..
Some people may be 1-8g some people like me are 1-13g and that actually is quite a significant drop of insulin difference.. From high to low.

You basically need to test yourself before breakfast, eat and inject to your current ratios.
Retest 2hrs later.
If high bg your ratio gave you too little insulin, meaning you need to give more.. Ie if you were 1-10, you would need to change to 1-9g cho.
Or if low bg two hours later you would need to give less bolus injection... Ie change from 1-10 to 1-11g
You need to test for a while at least.. Premeal and after each meal to establish exactly what is happening...
Examples above. -are merely examples... It depends on high or how low your levels will change...

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Folks,
Is anyone out there carb counting while using porcine neutral. I carb counted when I used novorapid but had to change to porcine neutral and isophane in 2012..body wouldn't take novorapid and lantus..it was hell although BGs weren't too bad. However, with porcine now feeling much better, but BGs are much higher than when I suffered using analogue insulins. I was using a 1:4 ratio on novorapid but when I tried to carb count on porcine neutral after 2/3 hours I was so high that the ratios didn't work. Anyway I found out that porcine ..for me..acts after 4-5 hours so all the modern diabetic checks after meals etc don't work for me. My DSN has said to forget about the usual 'meal/food' lists and that I should now only test after about 5 hours after meals etc. I now don't usually inject for lunch 10.30am - 11.00am ish as I deliver on-line groceries and all the heavy lifting causes my blood sugars to drop rapidly. I do test before driving off as required by DVLA and I am usually high even after 2 hours after breakast. I still watch what I eat but 'normal/usual' testing seems meaningless????