Gliclazide

Jan Roberts

Hi all. I have joined this forum this morning. I need to ask how many of you have or had trouble with side effects after taking Gliclazide?
I am on 4 metformin daily. was taking 80mg Gliclazide twice daily until 2 weeks ago when the Doctor doubled the dosage to help bring down my glucose levels which were at 11. I know this is high but stress is too due to doing a degree and having builders in trying to sort out a severe damp problem. The morning I began the higher dosage I had the worst headache ever within an hour and later felt really sick, bad stomach pains, anxiety and my BP went through the roof. Went back to the lower dose that evening and then started at one and a half tablets the next day. Still had a lesser headache and nausea etc but it eased after a week. Took 2 tablets last saturday morning and felt so unwell - same side effects - that I have now gone back to the one and a half again. I take meds for blood pressure, hypothyroidism, arthritis,cholesterol too.
Can anyone help? I can't go to my doctor as I am housebound and they refuse to do home visits except for the once a year glucose/ health checks.
Thanks in advance
Jan

davie0846

hi jan,
I to was told to double my dose of gliclazide and suffered various side effects, instead of 4 tablets i reduced to
2 in the morning and 1 at dinner in the evening for 7 days then in creased to 2 and 2 this sorted the prob.
I am now taking 6 metfoming 4 glicazide and 1pioglitazone per day, i had to have a heart trace before pioglitazone
was prescibed and have to get my bloods checked every 8 weeks for liver function.
Hope this helps.
davie.

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
Hi there Jan, I'd been taking Gliclazide (still am) and Metformin at the same time for
quite a few years, and like prwilson, I never experienced any problems.
I was taken off Metforman when I was prescribed Victoza to inject with my Lantus Solostar.

I'm shocked and saddened to read your doctor refuses you a home visit.
You're housebound for goodness sake, your Doctor should be highly sympathetic to your needs
due to your personal circumstances.
The medical profession is supposed to be a caring profession, you deserve the care you need
without question.

My own doctor allows me to make a phone call appointment when the need arises, would that
be out of the question with your own doctor?

I wish you well, and hope you manage to overcome the symptoms you're experiencing very soon.

WeeWillie.

Just a side issue, I may be daft but I never read any possible side effects of any meds
I''m prescribed,I prefer to wait until I feel there's something's not quite right with me.
Daft or what :)

Mind you, me better half tells me she knows there's something not quite right with me. :lol:

Andrew G

Hi there,

I was put on Gliclazide. Made me dizzy and gave me headaches. On one occasion I nearly passed out. I stopped taking it. The doctor said it was rather rare, in his experience, but put me on Repaglanide instead which has been much better. Perhaps you could discuss trying that instead? Good luck, Andrew G

Sibrose786

Hi
Every time I take gliclazide I end up with high blood pressure headaches in the morning, n now found out my liver function is over 400 wat does that mean and what the next treatments for this as I'm really worried .

helen777

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Gliclazide was the 4th different med my gp tried with me, within an hour hour and half was sick dizzy almost passing out, couldn't sit up. Luckily I have phone by my bed called gp, he told me I had a VIRUS!!! I was crawling to bathroom to be sick as I would have passed out out otherwise and was on my own. Didn't believe it was a virus as by teatime 10 hours later the effects were starting to wear off.

I would go back to and ask for different med. Nobody deserves to feel worse on medication than without it.

I was referred to consultant at hospital and was put on glimepiride. Seem to tolerate this, but metformin appears to be the first and last stop for many gps. We are all individuals and react in our own way to meds.

Good luck with it all :)

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jan,

I was put on Gliclazide briefly when I was misdiagnosed with Type 2 (turned out to be LADA). The first day, the Glic had no effect at all, so nurse doubled the dose. I had the worst headache I'd ever had and was really dizzy - the blood glucose didn't budge. I was so worried I rang the doctor and she took me off them immediately saying they don't suit everyone.

Smidge

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I had a few problems with Gliclazide [not severe by any means], so I stopped it and went low carb Now if my BG goes above 6, I'm furious with myself. I'm only using 2 x 500mg Metformin.
Hana

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Lesley!

Have you been tested for LADA? It is an adult-onset form of Type 1 diabetes. It is frequently misdiagnosed as Type 2, but it either doesn't respond to oral diabetes medicatio or it responds for a short while and then the BGs rise again. Basically if you have LADA you will ultimately need insulin. They can do a couple of tests to try to differentiate Type 2 from LADA. Firstly you need a GAD antibody test - this looks for the presence of antibodies that attack and kill your beta cells - if these antibodies are present, it usually means Type 1/LADA. Secondly you can have a c-peptide test - this checks how much insulin you are producing. Simplistically, high BG and high insulin = Type 2 while high BG and low insulin = LADA/Type 1 (it's more complicated than that, but it will do as a start!). I would post a link on another forum for you to read about LADA and see if it might apply to you, but the mods won't let me link to it. If you want the link, PM me and I'll send it to you.

Take care

Smidge