Should I go on to Metformin

elljay

I have been just using dietry control ( not too good at it ) for about 4 yrs since diagnosed.
My GP once offered me Metformin to help keep my weight under better control I am obese at 15 stone.
Another GP at my medical centre has said I should not start it.
I am desperate not to gain more weight and to lose some if I can ( my life is badly stressful and I admit I do comfort eat ) so I am thinking of asking to try Metformin even tho it is a year since offered.

The main thing that worries me is about my driving license and car insurance...has anyone had problems over it ?

Thanks in advance for any reply.
Elljay

kellster71

You certainly don't have to report to the DVLA if you are taking Metformin, only if you are taking insulin or have a specific complication such as retinopathy or a hypo in the previous 12 months. I think insurance companies are a grey area as I have read differing opinions over whether you should tell them. I would report it as a material fact, but it shouldn't affect your premiums.

goulster

kellster71 said:
You certainly don't have to report to the DVLA if you are taking Metformin, only if you are taking insulin or have a specific complication such as retinopathy or a hypo in the previous 12 months. I think insurance companies are a grey area as I have read differing opinions over whether you should tell them. I would report it as a material fact, but it shouldn't affect your premiums.

Hmmmm - I was explicitly told that I should tell my insurer I was type 2 by my diabetic nurse. When I called them, they took note of medication, but I had no change in premium or at renewal.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello

If you need to lose weight with minimal effort other than drinking lots of water head to the herbalists or vitastore on ebay and get some acai and maqui berry supplement.
Packed with antioxidants and burn fats.
Another noteable one with proven results is green coffee bean extract.
I also cannot recommend enough some cardiovascular exercise on a cross trainer, just 15 mins a day works wonders.

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Acai berry supplements from H&B gave me terrible pain in my stomach and did nothing for weight loss. So if you are going to try them get a small sized package just to try them out.

elljay

Good point Denise, thanks for that. Not all supplements suit all people same as prescription meds.

Shame they did not help with weight loss though...I am desperate to get my weight down but even before I was diabetic it took going down to 500 calories a day to start my weight loss so am losing hope now.
If I dont lose the weight I expect my knees will get worse and my hips too and I feel so guilty moaning about pain in my joints when I am overloading them with all this fat.

Does anyone actually think metformin helps with weight problem please ?

Elljay

Finzi

I think Metformin is supposed to be beneficial to the obese/overweight but I would beware of thinking of it as a "weight loss" drug. Would you be prepared to post some of the things that you eat? I'm wondering whether your diet might be too high in carbs, and that's why it is proving hard to lose weight?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Covlocks

If you are controlling by diet only then I suggest you look at what you eating if you are putting on weight. Ignore the NHS advice of always eating carbs eith every meal and see a proper dietician, not a self taught one in the form of a DSN nurse.