Need a lot of advice from experience!

Jamesmiller94

I was diagnosed with type 1 Feb 2012, haven't taken insulin since last July. This week I have been to doctors to get back on track but I still have a few problems:

- I have lost 2 stone due to not taking insulin, but i want to keep the weight off (now 9st half)
- I am a vegetarian so I need a lot of carbs for energy, but this is obviously bad for type 1 (i eat a lot of pasta, bread etc)
- I have a really bad binging problem, eating nearly 4 meals a day and snacking between, i cannot physically stop myself
- my sugar level has been 35+ for past few months, and even this hasn't prompted me to take action

many thanks

james

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
James, you will die in a few months. Simple as that. Take your insulin.

Why aren't you taking it?

elainechi

if you.re not taking insulin you will be very hungry as all those carbs are just sitting in your blood ....your losing weight as you.re burning fat which causes ketones without insulin around which can cause death.
so why did you stop taking insulin??????????

Jamesmiller94

i had a rough time towards the end of last year, and i just gave up with everything. i understand about the ketone acid thing and everything. Im just struggling as i hate the injecting and to be honest i didnt really care what the diabetes did to me in the end. So last week i just decided to get on with it now as it started to affect the way i functioned day to day.

Also do the injections leave any permanent marks, i can never seem to inject in the right place, it evens swells and bruises on the fatty parts of my stomach?

elainechi

injections may bruise....use small needles and how about other sites.....what regime are you on....can you carb count and all that stuff....x

AMBrennan

What did your doctor say about you not taking any insulin? I'm assuming you are now back to injecting insulin. Go make another appointment with your doctor, tell him about these problems and ask about a psychiatric referral - given the timing, I'd consider depression (you never notice that this isn't like you at all).

- I have lost 2 stone due to not taking insulin, but i want to keep the weight off (now 9st half)
Don't worry about that for now - BMI is overrated, and any benefit from weight loss will be nullified by the damage from sky high BG.

- I am a vegetarian so I need a lot of carbs for energy, but this is obviously bad for type 1 (i eat a lot of pasta, bread etc)
Forget that low-carb nonsense :evil: ; as a T1 diabetic you can eat whatever you want including pasta and bread if you adjust the insulin right..
If you don't know how to do that just ask and people here will gladly help.

- I have a really bad binging problem, eating nearly 4 meals a day and snacking between, i cannot physically stop myself
Tell your GP. Taking your insulin with the meals will go a long way to limit the damage.

Also do the injections leave any permanent marks, i can never seem to inject in the right place, it evens swells and bruises on the fatty parts of my stomach?
You can get bruising if you hit a blood vessel, and insulin injections can result in a build-up of fat lumps close to injection sites (because insulin causes fat cells to store energy) which makes rotation of injection sites necessary.

What needles do you use (length)? This site may help as well. Maybe make an appointment with your DSN to go over injection technique again?

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Jamesmiller94 said:
-
Your binging problem is probably the result of eating an unbalanced high carb diet and not taking your insulin. If you take the insulin and reduce the bread and pasta and eat more meat, eggs, cheese and vegetables instead, you will go a long way to improving this problem. Tell your doctor about the binging, and get psychological help if necessary.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi James!

I am sorry to hear you are having such a bad time. Being diagnosed with Type 1 is a real shock and it takes a while to get your head around it. However, it is not going to go away and you must come to terms with that. In life, things happen and they get us down - everyone feels down sometimes. When feeling down becomes more than that, it is most likely depression. Depression is a serious condition and needs treatment from a doctor/counsellor, just as diabetes does. Please go and seek the help you so clearly need. If you had a broken arm you wouldn't struggle on alone, so be kind to yourself and ask your GP for help.

In terms of the diabetes, you know you must take your insulin. The trouble is, not taking it won't kill you instantly, but it will cause such severe damage to so many parts of your body (eyes, feet, kidneys, heart etc) that when you do feel like living again - and one day you will! - the damage will be with you for the rest of your life and you will regret this period when you have allowed the condition to rule your head.

In terms of your diet, carb makes you feel hungry and crave more carb. For every bit of carb you eat, you will need to inject insulin. If you are worried about putting weight on, insulin does not have to mean increasing weight - but you have to manage it carefully to avoid this. The easiest way is to eat less carb and therefore require less insulin. I know that can be difficult for vegetarians, but it is possible. Do you like eggs? An omellette can make a tasty, nutritious, quick low-carb meal - I only have to inject about 1.5 units rapid-acting for a 2-egg omellette with mushrooms and cheese. How about soya mince? Add that to a vegetable chilli to give yourself some extra protein. Sid Bonkers posted a wonderful Moussaka recipe in the food section of the forum - it is very low-carb, very filling and I am sure you could make it just as well with soya mince. WhitbyJet has posted many brilliant low-carb recipes in the low-carb recipe section - many of these are vegetarian or could be adapted to be so. If you can reduce your carb and increase your protein and good fat intake, you will not feel hungry and you will require less insulin to cover these meals. It is hard for a couple of weeks, but you soon get used to a reduced carb diet. If you really can't bring yourself to cut the sweet and starchy carb, then you will have to inject enough insulin to cover the carb you eat, even if that means putting weight on. Perhaps you could offset this with a little more exercise? You absolutely must make sure your body has sufficient insulin to deal properly with the sugar in your blood. Things might seem hopeless now, but it won't always be that way and one day you will be thankful that you took your insulin appropriately.

Take care and please get the help you need.

Smidge