Do I need to inform my car insurance yet?

AdviceSought

Doctor says I am most likely early stages type 2.

Been told I will be called back in in around 3 months time for another blood test and they will then decide if I need to be put on medication.

So, do I need to inform my car insurance providers yet or should I wait until I know if I require medication or not?

wilkinsonpj

Hi,

As far as I am aware you only need to inform your insurance people and the DVLA if you are on insulin.... I was on oral meds for a few years at first and did not inform them, but once I went on to insulin I was told I had to....

Hope this helps.

Pete.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
mo1905 said:
Does your premium go up once on insulin ?

Being treated with Insulin and possessing a 3 year licence, my insurance costs did not increase. But we always shop around for the best deal before renewal. Currently paying £190 per year for a brand new family car which is £90 cheaper than the car it replaced...

ianjd20

I have been on metformin for 4 years. My insurance company didn't need to know. I recently started on Byetta injections so called them just to check. They said they only need to know if I am on insulin injections, which Byetta isn't. I also contacted the DVLA and they said the same. So I wouldn't worry just yet.

Diane type 2

I was diagnosed with type 2 last week. On my first visit to the diabetic clinic at the surgery in King Edward Road, Northmapton, amongst a lot of leaflets I was given she handed me one and actually said you MUST inform the dvla that you have been diagnosed as type 2. I am not on any medication. I came away from the clinic feeling brow beaten and depressed as she painted such a dark picture including this condition will always get worse never stay stable. As I was so distressed by all this I went and saw my own gp, within the same surgery, who expressed surprise at this also but said oh well if necessary I will give you a letter saying you only have a mild version of it. I now dont who to believe. I have got a further set of blood tests next week including Hb1AC and dread going back to the clinic to see this person as I do not trust her information. I dont know what to do.

julie42

I have just had a look on the dvla and you do not need to inform them unless you are on insulin or have complications. I am going to print it off and keep it.

I never thought of my car insurance, my annual holiday insurance went up £12.50 is about 30%. I will ring my car people tomorrow.

Diane type 2

Thanks to you both for your responses. I went to my gp today who was also surprised that her diabetic nurse had said this. My experience at my first clinic visit was very negative and depressing am going to take my husband in with me next time to make sure I am really hearing correctly what she is saying. She was emphatic I had to tell them straightaway and my insurers. Have to think very carefully if there is any other clinic I can attend where I have more confidence in.

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
you HAVE to inform your insurers when diagnosed as T2, even if only on diet and exercise.

This is because it is a material fact that is relevant to your cover, and failure to tell them may mean that your insurance is null and void in the event of an accident...

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Paul is 100% correct in this respect

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I would check out the accurate regs with Diabetes UK. It's probably on their website.Or even the DVLA website.
Also If I had been warned that I had early stage T2 I would have tried everything possible to see if it were still reversible
Get a blood glucose meter. Direct from a supplier is best/cheapest. They often give them away if you buy strips from them [Abbott Diabetes Care have exellent patient services! and no they are not paying me to advertise. they have served me brilliantly for years.]
then a strict low carb diet and monitoring to keep blood glucose DOWN until you next see the doctor. the Leaflet in the BG meter strips pack tells you what NORMAL BG is.
It would certainly have been worth it to me
Of course you have to make your own mind up on that.
Hana

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Paul and I are referring to MV Insurance Companies not the DVLA

LaserMum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Here's the link to the relevant DVLA guidance:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg ... 067957.pdf

Generally you don't need to inform them if you are treated with non-insulin medication or diet. That is unless you are at risk from hypoglycaemia or have circulatory problems or require laser eye surgery, etc.

You should find that, so long as the DVLA say your OK to drive, then your insurance company will be OK with it.

I had to inform DVLA of Sleep Apnoea and had to stop driving for a while but once I was in treatment they said OK to drive and my insurance premium didn't go up a penny. I can't see why it would be any different for diabetes.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
mo1905 said:
Does your premium go up once on insulin ?

Mine did by £62 - licence changed to a 3year licence also.
DVLA wrote to my GP as well ...
Renewal of my licence is in sept 2014.

Anna.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
As far as the DVLA is concerned, I have always kept them informed and I have never been on insulin and had good control on Metformin and then Exenatide. My license did not change until my diagnosis with Parkinson's when it went to a 3 year license and some of the categories dropped. My license was eventually revoked when diagnosed with sleep apnoea but the silver lining was I automatically qualified goes London Disabled Persons Freedom Pass - fantastic! Free public transport in alloc London and free bus travel nationally. My view is that it is always best to keep insurance companies informed to avoid inadvertently voiding your insurance. It has to be remembered that some diabetes medications, such as gliclazide,can cause hypos

Doug