Can anyone help!!

Mr Campbell

Hi guys,I am really worried about my father-in-law :( he is suffering with severe pain due to Diabetes type 2 and also seems to be suffering with Peripheral neuropathy in his big toe! He has got to the point where he cannot sleep due to the horrific pain worsening at night time. He has been prescribed Gabapentin along with pain killers etc..
We have been looking into different thing that may help i.e Tens machine and now have been recommended 'Revitive V3 Circulation Booster' does anyone here have any experience and/or advice? I worry about using anything electrical when it comes to Nerve damage, the reason I ask this question is because I have also suffered nerve damage due to a Viruis called 'Ramsay Hunt Syndrome' I also took Gabapentin, various people suggested I try the Tens machine and other stimulants to help repair the damaged nerves but then later I was advised this would actually do more damage to the nerves
Sorry for essay!!! but I would apprecicate any knowledge and advice any of you may have!

I wish all of you some sort of relief from your suffering

Many Thanks
Samantha

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a Revitive IX but I don't know anythng about peripheral neuropathy. My toes started to 'tingle' years ago when I started taking some blood pressure related medicine. The consultant said that a side effect was that it restricted the capilliaries but if I could live with it I should. In otherwords, it was blood flow related and nothing to do with nerves.

I did live with it but it became more intense, especially at night, when at rest. Then I started to get intermittent pains which could eb quite bad and I also started to get cramps. The I was diagnosed with diabetes and foot care is must. I got the Revitive IX and have used it for 30 mins every day ever since. The pains have stopped and I am back to the initial small 'tingle' that I used to have.

The electrical circuit is essentially the same as Tens. The footpads each have 4 electrical contacts and with one foot on each, the system send small electrical shocks along various routes and in different patterns. You can feel the muscles twitching in your calves. I guess because the muscles are moving all over your leg, and deep inside your eg, they are gently massaging the veins and capilliaries and helping blood flow. HOwever, I have also lost weight and do leg stretching exercises so they too will be giving some benefit and I don't kow what the situation would be if it were the machine alone.

Having said that, the pains have gone and the cramps too. First thing is check the side effects of any medications, ask the doctor, see if it is a circulation thing, and not nerves, and if it is, try some leg and calf stretching exercises. IN addition, keep the feet warm, wear socks and slippers whilst watching TV and wear bed socks. They made a massive difference too, an almost immediate improvement.

Mr Campbell

Thank you so much for this information! I will pass this on and find out if the Doctor thinks this will be ok for him!

I wish you all the best with your condition and hope it keeps improving! :)

Thanks again
Samantha :thumbup:

Ann Caldwell

I too have neoropathy in both feet, and precribed gabapentin. This did'nt make much of a difference. The doc precribed a cream called Cephalon, there is a small amout of chillies in it, yes it burned for a few days but after that my feet feel a lot better ask your dad to go to doc and ask about this. Hope this helps :)

arkle

I'm a long term t.1. & have had p.n. for nearly 30 years. I originally controlled it with evening primrose oil, (1 x 1000iu a day). Then it got worse in 02/3 so I saw my g.p. about it. "I'll look it up on the internet" she said,without much visible interest. So then she went on hols, without coming back to me. The pain was getting quite bad & 1 night, whilst asleep @ 3a.m. I had a terrific shock run down my leg, which caused me to rugby kick the wall that was adjacent to the bed, as I sleep on my side & it was hot so I was onto of it rather than in it. I woke up in pain, took some parac's & went to see a locum the morning after. He showed NO interest, despite my foot being nearly twice its size. He gave me some anti-inflam's & told me to come back the next week if no improvement. So a repeat of the 1st weeks session & more of the same, with foot barely able to fir into shoe that time. Went to see own g.p. the week after & she arranged an x-ray. That took another week & I was told the results would take another week. That was on a Monday. On the Weds. that week I rang her from work, crawling up the walls with pain & asked if she could jump the queue. she rang back an hr. later saying I had a broken foot & she'd booked me into hosp. Anyway to abbrev. they had to amputate the foot, well 6" b/k actually as it had re-calcified beyond repair. Was put on gabapentyn & although increased the dose over time it seemed to work, along with the e.p.o. However it put a lot more stress on other leg & peroneal tendon disintegrated. So had a "nail" fitted into leg, with numerous screws & within 3 weeks 2 of the main screws broke. Had to have it removed, apart from broken screws as no access to them, & had really horrific p.n a few months after that. Tried all sorts of pain killers, nothing even touched it. It really was off the scale as far as pain is concerned, say a 14/10. Would come on for no reason at any time & if lucky might last a minute. Not so most of the time though, as it often took between 2 & 48 or more hours non-stop. Tried hypnotherapy, didn't really work, & quite a few other things. I use strong magnets to suppress cramp pain, as 300mg of quinine sulphate (the max) often doesn't work for me. By taping them to the area, it confuses the signals going to & from the brain, & this gradually helps, along with the e.p.o, though 2 x 500's work better than 1 x 1000. Sorry for length of post, but it's defiantly worth a try.