changing insulin on saturday 9th feb.

garybev66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi all,im changing over insulins tomorrow,from novomix 30,to levemir and nova rapid.5 jabs a day,did anyone on here who has gone the same route have an problems, as in highs and lows etc.i must say im quite looking forward to it as it sounds like it will make management and day to day life a little bit better.

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
I would also like the answer to this question, as I am doing the same change over in March.

malky

I changed from Nove mix 30 to levemir and novo rapid about 6 years ago then to lantus and novo rapid and now to huamlin I and novo rapid. Like any time changing insulin it will take a bit of getting use to and fine tuning until you can get it right.You will get highs and hypos of course. It is good in the way that, if you are carb counting, it gives more flexability. You can basically eat what you want when you want and adjust or administer insulin when needed. You may ask why my bolus, fast acting, insulin has stayed the same throughout and and my basel, long acting, has change a few times. The reason for this is that although the basel is called a 24 hour insulin different makes behave in different ways some last maybe 20 hours some maybe 26 for example. This is where fine tuning comes in and you and your nurses/doctor will work out what works best for you. I was on one injuction of levemir when i first started and the same with the lantus. Until i was put on the humali I and i was switched to twice a day injections, 12 hours apart, and with more fine tuning it was found that i didnt need the morning injection. Like i said it will be taloired to you there is not one set way of using a MDI (Multi Daily Injection) regime for everyone. Just keep at it and it will work with time.

garybev66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi,thanks for the reply,i am going to start carb counting in the near future,but at the moment dont have a clue about it. :D

malky

Good stuff like I said it give alot more flexablility being on MDI with or without carb counting but its even better when you start carb counting. Just remember it takes time to perfect I started over 6 years ago and its still not perfrect. Take your time try not to get frustrated with it and good luck.

Malky

dafneandjim

Hi once you have got used to the different insulin you will find out better for you I was on velosulin and insultard twice a day for a long time and struggled with the peaks and cross over times with them causing many hypos.Things have changed now I am on nova rapid
and lantus lantus and levumere are similar as they don't have as many peaks and drops which is much better for us .So once you've fine tuned them you should find a big difference it made a big difference for me going from having many severe hypos a week to now having much better hda1cs and very few severe hypos where I've needed help Happy change over :lol:

Sent from my Nexus S using DCUK Forum mobile app