Simvastatin and Amlodipine

swine1

Hi All.
Qick question.
I take simvastatin 40mg and Amlodipine 5mg. My gp has upped my Amlodipine to 10mg. Am getting burning sensation to the front of my shins. Anyone else had this problem or related ??
Best Regard, Bernard.

VickiT11979

If you're on amlodipine the max dose simvastatin you should be on is now 20mg, as any higher dose has increased risk of muscle side effects & muscle damage. It's a fairly new discovery, maybe a few months ago I think. So surgeries may only just be getting around to contacting all patients on both drugs & reducing their doses or changing the meds.

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I know that Amlodipine can cause swollen ankles due to water retention in the legs; this was a problem for me, and when I changed doctors after moving house recently the new doctor immediately took me off Amlodipine and put me on Lercanidipine instead... the problem has improved somewhat, but not gone away. The sensation in your legs could mean that the same thing is beginning to happen to you, so its worth going back to the doctor and asking the question. But remember everyone's different. Although I'm also on Simvastatin (80mg) there's nothing to say that the effect of these two drugs on me is the same as it will be on you! Besides, I'm also on 9 other drugs for various things, and I doubt if your other medications match mine in every respect, so don't draw too many conclusions from the similarities. All I can say is that there are alternatives to Amlodipine available if it doesn't happen to suit you.

swine1

Hello.
Thanks for the reply. I have checked online and the new dosage is for max 20mg Simvastatin and probably 5mg of the Amlodipine. So back to the gp on Monday. Thanks.