Can't seem to control Blood Sugars

magicaldebs

I have been diagnosed wi Type 2 for seven years now, I take the maximum Metformin and Januvia once a day. I have been ill over Christmas, I had flu which seemed to last for around 6 weeks. Since the flu I can't seem to control my Blood Sugars. I begged the GP for strips just to keep a check, now I realise that my BS's are not dropping below double figures. I have tightened up the diet, so I am now on very low carbs but this doesn't seem to be working as it usually does. My BS this morning is 11.8 after three days of very low carbs. In the past when I've taken few carbs I have to watch for low Blood sugars.
I don't know what's happening. I've been pretty much self caring because It's 18 months since I've seen a GP about the Diabetes, they have an Auxiliary Nurse who has been trained to look after Diabetics now, to be honest it's not worth seeing her. I am feeling very tired have a burning sensation in my fingers and toes.
Any advice please? What happens next if the tablets and diets stop working?
Debs

DaveNN

Debs.
I've just come through a similar thing, albeit with lower BG readings.
I, too, have had a rotten chest infection and have been very low calorie and low carbing.
I felt like death yesterday and did have a tortilla followed by strawberries and cream.
I'm now banging in sub 7's again...not perfect but I'm still on 500 mg of metformin.
I would perhaps suggest that you go and have a hba1c test, followed by another in 3 months.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

initforlove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
diabetes
i find that taking over the counter medications for pain will rise blood glucose in some diabetics and will lower blood glucose in some other diabetics

perhaps you could experiment if the paracetamol does less damage to your blood glucose reading than the aspirin?
I think if you take codeine in cold medication the codeine WILL rise blood glucose

so just like we eat by our meter perhaps we should also check over the counter preparations to see which ones agree with our meter better than others?

magicaldebs

I've not been taking over the counter medication for a good few weeks now, I try not to do that. I woke up this morning with a BS of 11.9, took 2 Metformin and 1 Januiva. Had eggs for breakfast and Red Bush tea, went for a swim and a couple of hours later my BS is 10.5.
Debs

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

VickiT11979

You're obviously exercising to help your BGs & your diet does sound good - could it be weight related? Has your weight changed in the last couple of months?
If not, I don't know - maybe you do need another drug for your diabetes. If you're not keen on this you could try a couple more weeks of very low carbing & lots of exercise - maybe try a version of the Newcastle Diet? But if your figures aren't dropping below 9 I'd go see whoever you need to see at your doctor's. If it's only been the last 4-6weeks a HbA1c won't show the full effect of the higher sugars, so if they want one & say it's OK, argue!

londoner

Hello magicaldebs

I had a similar problem. It took weeks to get the blood sugars back to near where they should be. The GP surgery was not too sympathetic and I was told that maybe the virus/infection knocked out more beta cells. That may be the case but my BS levels are improving over 8 weeks later. The virus/infection was really bad and I am convinced that antibiotics would have helped. No definite decision was made as to whether I had a virus or an infection.

Keep up with a lowish carb diet.