MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello

I found this today and frankly I'm not surprised:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... sions.html

I hope some of you find it a beneficial read, it only enforces my opinion that Type 2 Diabetes is on such an incline that surely the **** they've been putting in our food has to take some responsibility for it's widespread increase.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Filtered H2o.
Green tea
Redbush or african roobios tea.
Any fruit drinks sweetened with stevia such as tropicana 50
Just a few suggestions.
Sugar gets a bad rap. In moderation why not?
Its the artificial beggars that have weened their way into the foodchain that's causing more harm than good.
Take walkers crisps, their sensations variety proudly claims no msg whereas all their other range has it.
Naughty naughty...

SWFC John

I reckon high fructose corn syrup has more a direct link to diabetes than sweeteners so the people trying to avoid joining our club are between a rock and a hard place.

tolsn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
well all i drink is pepsi cola i dont like anything else so if i stopped drinking it then i would be dehydrated or worse :?
i drank normal stuff but then i changed to diet when i was diagnosed with type 2 last march and the dr said it was better but i have read so much about diet been bad :/

Dunkels King

Up until last week when I was told I was Type 2, for the last 4 years I only ever drank Pepsi Light and Cola Zero (as opposed to the normal variants). My Doctor specifically told me that these drinks are really not a good idea and could have contributed to my becoming diabetic. My Sons Father-in-law is an Oncologist and Professor here in Germany. He won't touch these type of drinks and infact believes they are a contributing factor to an increase in cancer.

Susiebabs

I used to be a bit of a diet coke addict - drinking about 1 litre a day (if not more - in the form of the 500ml bottles). I decided 6 months ago to switch to water and have pretty much stuck to that. It was tough the first few weeks I won't deny that, but on the few occasions since then when I've had a diet coke it actually tastes rank to me! Not only that but the caffeine has had a huge effect too - just didn't realise how much I was consuming because I don't drink coffee or normal tea.

I've now added peppermint tea into my drinks mix and between the two I have really found things that my body likes and can use effectively without any nasty additives.

I KNOW how hard it can be to step away from the convenience of a bottle or can that can be kept nice and cool in the fridge but I believe it's SO worth it! Put it this way, the syrup form of these drinks (before being added to fizzy water) would make you very ill indeed - which really says to me that diluting it and drinking it isn't a great idea. I bought myself a couple of really snazzy water bottles to carry round to help the transition. :)

Madmouse

Sharon68 said:
Reminds me I should check sugar free ribena
After a recent stint in hospital I was brought some Ribbena and could not understand my increase in sugar levels after drinking it, until I read the sugar content on the label, I haven't touched it since.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I remember a couple of years ago coke tried a less gassy natural ingrdients based version as they trialled it at harvey nichols.
It tasted great too, but sadly can't find it now.
I had a carbonated drink in a can yesterday called rio which was just a few tropical fruits with carbonated spring water, it tasted great and I don't recall any nasties present when I read the label.
Meanwhile, my water of choice is buxton spring, I prefer the taste.

C

chris lowe

Well, I suppose I could always change my drink of choice to Chardonneigh to go with my Findus Nagsagne :lol:

de130770

if the hospital new that a type 1 was haveing sugered coke theyed hit the roof.
i all ways get diabetices art to have any suger i keep on telling them that i carnt have any bread as that has suger.
i have diet coke, coffee black and 2l water a day

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes.
And judging by the evidence I would lay off the diet coke personally and find an alternative that is naturally sweetened if not at all.

susanmanley

Everyone thinks I am nuerotic because I will not use sweeteners or consume sugar free foodstuffs if I can help it
I would rather just not have sugar or sweet things than fill myself with chemicals

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think that's neurotic at all.

I'm in the same boat, and refuse to eat ****!x

elviscole

noticed this posted underneath

For nearly twenty years I've tried to educate friends and family on the dangers of artificial sweeteners. Over the years I've contacted Diabetes UK warning them that artificial sweeteners will cause diabetes yet Diabetes UK ignore me, why? Because they're sponsored by companies that make and use artificial sweeteners!!! Obviously getting money from their artificial sweetener sponsors is more important than warning people that artificial sweeteners cause diabetes! Conflict of interest??
- MovieFan , Tyne and Wear, 10/2/2013 19:39
Click to rate Rating 9

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... z2L4rPsIwE
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Sketcher

Dislikes
Other people's cats in my garden
Re: Think twice about "Sugar Free" Drinks.

I share people's concerns about ingesting chemicals, although my BG meter makes it clear to me that diet drinks are better for my health than sugar-packed or fruit juice based drinks. We may well find out that the artificial sweeteners are not good for us, but the Daily Mail article does not convince me that sweeteners cause diabetes: there is no indication that the study controlled for variables such as the weight and eating habits of the participants, who could well have been compensating (in their minds) for eating unhealthy foods. McDonalds sell a lot of diet cola.......speaks for itself!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Frosty66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snow
Re: Think twice about "Sugar Free" Drinks.

Yes or No
Can i drink carbonated water. Not the flavoured on just the plain fizzy one like tescos or aldis own

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App