Sugar/carbs

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is not really a limit. Also carbs and sugar are the same. The higher the carbs are the more sugar in them. The label then says of which sugars. The of which sugar is how quick your body will absorb it in reference to the gi index. The lower the of which sugars are the better. So if a label says per 100g , 30 carbs of which sugar 15g, the 30 carbs would be absorbed very quickly by the body and have a quick impact on sugar levels. Always look for a low of which sugar level in comparison to total carbs. Hope this helps.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you type 1 or 2 samantha?, and what if any meds do you use

samantha13

I'm type one. Take novo rapid and levimer. Diagnosed 2years ago but to be honest have been eating as I was pre diabetes. My bg 9-14 on average. Jus wanting to really tighten my control

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok, have you done dafne or another carb counting course. Do you know your insulin to carb ratios and do you now your basal is correct. Alot of questions sorry

samantha13

Dafne is not available in my area and tbh the health care professionals I have seen no little about carb counting and advise a set dose with each meal which obviously doesn't work as my carb intake varies day to day meal to meal. Most of the time I'm guessing

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
samantha13 said:
Dafne is not available in my area and tbh the health care professionals I have seen no little about carb counting and advise a set dose with each meal which obviously doesn't work as my carb intake varies day to day meal to meal. Most of the time I'm guessing

There's an on-line carb counting course similar to DAFNE, you do need to register first:

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thats awfull :( set doses is very restrictive. What will help you is keeping a weekly diary of before meal readings, total carbs eaten, levels 2 hours after food. Before bed level and morning levels and log how much basal you are using. I downloaded the diary on this site. So if you east 50 carbs for a meal and put 5 units in that would be a 1 to ten ratio. If you are above 9, 2 hours after food try a 1 to 9 ratio for that meal next time. If you hypo try a 1 to 12 ratio next time and so on. Important before doing this is to get your base correct. So have tea as usual one evening and then fast till breakfast. Use your usual dose of long acting. Ideally you want to be within 2 of your night time reading in the morning. Really try talking to your dsn/ consultant about a course. Hope this helps and not confused you.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad it helped :), I was a bit lost when I started carb counting and given too much info at once to take in. good luck :)

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi sam, how are you getting on adjusting your doses?

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
:) keep it up, well done

Diane type 2

samantha13 said:
How many grams of sugar and grams of carbs is the limit per 100grams?
If you divide the sugar figure by 4 that will tell you how many equivalent of a teaspoon of sugar that is. ie. 15g of sugar will be nearly 4 teasp of sugar. I believe the recommended limit for women is 6 teasp a day of equivalent of teasp of sugar. Clearly the lower the sugar value of a product the better.

candiloo

Hi - I have Lantas soloStar for the long acting one, and I take 30 units of this at 7pm every day. For the carb counting part, my ratio works out at 15g carbs = 3 units of Novorapid. So if I have 2 boiled eggs for breakfast with Danish bread that has less carbs, that's all I need to have - 3 units. I actually don't often bother as the long acting one usually takes care of it for me whilst I sleep, which I do after breakfast as I work nights. I try not to go over 50g of carbs a day as they are not my friends. Obviously we need to make sure we don't hypo when asleep, but on the other hand, not too many carbs sitting there or they will go straight to fat. Also, the eggs are quite filling, so I don't get hungry when I go to sleep.Now if I was to have cornflakes and a banana, which is my absolute favourite breakfast, there are so many carbs there, it is not filling, and I would get hungry in my sleep and I would put weight on as I am not using the carbs. I would also need about 30 units of insulin to get rid of all the sugar! I think in the long run the carb counting course should be available for anyone because it will help us all healthwise and weightwise and mean we do not cost the NHS so much in the long term. I also want to say, when I was first diagnosed Jan 2011, the diabetic nurse told me I would have to eat lots of carbs now and the cornflakes and banana was her suggestion, although it has always been my favourite. However, I could see even then that if I have something with that amount of carbs before sleep it would not be good and fought it and Atkinsed. The old GI gets triggered too and within 90 minutes once, out with my mum, we had to stop for something as I had a hypo!