Loosing to much weight

maddiemo

Although I'm feeling well I'm losing to much weight. Not only that I think I'm getting obsessed with carbs. My husband is getting worried and keeps saying I'm not eating enough, he drives me mad. When I say I have to keep an eye on my carbs he says I don't have too, only have to do that when you have diabetes :eh: I'm pred-diabetic he bought me some M&M and a cake today. I just feel like not bothering I don't get any support from anyone.
I had a kidney transplant eight years ago and want to keep it, and having diabetes is very bad for me. Feeling very upset today and on the verge of crying all the time.

I take my blood about 3-4 times a day but I have to take it in secret. Do I sound obsessive about it?

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
You sound as if you might be getting a touch obsessive about it, Maddiemo! Also as if you're getting a bit depressed.

I have 3 questions for you: 1) just what are you eating? 2) when do you do blood tests, and what are your results? and 3) have you discussed this with either your doctor or your practice nurse?

Oh - and the 4th question: how tall are you and how much do you weigh? in effect, what is your Body Mass Index?

More questions - when were you diagnosed as pre-diabetic, and how much weight have you lost since then?

I can understand how worried you are about doing anything that might damage your transplanted kidney, and that you desperately want to avoid diabetes. However, there are more ways to do damage than by becoming diabetic. My kidney function is fine, and I've been Type 2 for 3 years now - possibly a little bit more. Diabetes doesn't necessarily mean kidney disease, if you control it properly :D .

How nice that you have a concerned husband! Can you talk things through with him, and explain what your fears are? Also let him know (gently!) that a nice wholemeal chicken salad sandwich would be better for you than cake and chocolates :lol:

After your operation, did you have a talk with a dietitian about what you should and should not be eating to keep your kidney healthy? If not, ask to see one now, and explain that you want to control your carbohydrate intake to avoid becoming fully diabetic.

Think over the questions I've asked you. Try to pull back and think what you'd be saying to a friend in your position. And go and see your GP. If necessary, print out your original post and give it to the doctor to read. You need some support, as you've said - try to be stubborn and make sure they give it to you :D .

Let us know how you get on.

Viv 8)

sw11bloke

Maddiemo

Are you losing too much weight because your blood sugars are running too high or are you losing weight because youre not eating many carbs?

Or is the stress of all this causing you to lose weight? Stress can also cause your sugars to run high.

Anything in moderation is fine...even M&M's or cake. Perhaps you are being a bit obsessive and perhaps you need to have a think of what is really getting you down. Have you had a talk to somebody professional?

Perhaps doing a DAFNE (or similar) course may give you more insight to eating carbs?

maddiemo

Thanks for reply. I eat off a smaller plate so don't eat so much now, I eat veg meat maybe a couple potatos. eggs, bacon, cheese, cream , fish, no fruit. Plain chocolate and a couple of wheat free oat cakes a day with butter.
I weigh 8st 10 I used to weigh 9st 6 I'm 5ft 0.
I don't ask for any advise from my Dr he doesent seem to be worried about it as it Pre-diabetes. My BS is between 5-7 and 12. I take my BS two hours after eating.

sw11bloke

i think youre doing just fine. By your weight and height, you seem to be within your BMI.
You know youre body better than anyone so perhaps its time to stop worrying what others say or think. Youre not diabetic. You seem to be eating the correct foods. Perhaps a bit of cardio will help you to feel better and destress. Excercise releases endorphins which will make you feel good and healthy.

You BS readings appear to be just fine so perhaps you dont need to test so often. Try and relax. Enjoy life and enjoy your good health

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Sorry to disagree, SW11bloke, but a BG reading of 12, two hours after eating, is too high for a pre-diabetic, and even a Type 2. Non-diabetic levels should be withing the range:

3.5 - 5.5 before meals/fasting;
less than 8, 2 hours after eating.

And for a diagnosed Type 2:

4 - 7 before meals/fasting;
less than 8.5, 2 hours after eating.

I know Type 1s are recommended to run a bit higher, but for a non-insulin dependent Type 2, the second figures are recommended.

Maddiemo, I don't think you should be worried about your weight at the moment, and your diet does seem to be okay, as long as you are eating enough. Something is obviously spiking you to those 12s - keep a food diary for a while, and see what sends you highest.

When were you diagnosed as Pre-diabetes? It might be worth going to your GP and asking for an HbA1c, to see how your levels are averaging now.

You are very sensible to bear the possibility of diabetes in mind, but please don't get obsessed with it. Stress can and does put up your blood glucose. Stick to your way of eating, and try to enjoy life.

Let us know how you get on.

Viv 8)

PS. How much plain chocolate ? :wink: The darker the better - try 85% proof, just a couple of squares a day.

sw11bloke

just to clarify...i was referring to BG between 5and 7. 12 on the odd occasion does happen depending on what you have eaten and should really be avoided. Everything re weight etc.... i believe is fine. apologies for the misunderstanding

maddiemo

Thanks for the advise I know I worry far to much. I'm now going to try and relax a bit more, only take my BG if I think I have eaten the wrong food for me.
I only have a tiny bar of plain chocolate now and again over 70%. I feel less stressed about it all now. My BS only goes to twelve when I know I have eaten the wrong thing.
Thanks again

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If your BS does occasionally go up to 12 then I suspect you may be more than pre-diabetic? As viviennem says do discuss having an HBa1c blood test with your doc as this is a good test to judge your current level of diabetes. You appear to be having a good diet in general. If an HBa1c shows you are now diabetic then if diet doesn't get you to the right level then a med such as Metformin can help and is a very safe good drug if the doc thinks it's needed, but obviously the doc would take account of your transplant. Don't forget fats aren't the big enemy for diabetics; keep them good fats where you can. This means there are many foods you can have as a diabetic, whilst keeping the carbs down and low-GI. I think you need to reduce your blood testing; just test 2 hours after a meal occasionally to check what affects you and to flag up if the sugars are rising. A reading between 5-7 is very good, so don't worry. I'd love to have readings anywhere near that!