diabetes and sympathy?

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all,

Just been thinking.. It's always nice to get a bit of sympathy from people when theres something wrong like diabetes, I suppose it's because they are understanding the hardships we go through every day, yet while it is welcomed from other people and friends, I hate my parents or family showing that they feel sorry for me or whatever, and Im not sure why?

Do any of you feel like that? I always want to appear strong to them, and make it not seem like a big deal.. does anyone have any ideas why this might be? I have no clue!

J x

EllieLou

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel exactly the same.
normally I can talk to my mum about anything but I cant bring myself to tell her how im really feeling at the moment.
I have no idea why :s

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
We all want to appear strong in front of family and friends. That's why forums like this are great. You can sign in, have a rant or bare your soul to complete strangers and get a genuine response. You have no affinity with these people which is why it's easy to open up. I actually think you are having very normal thoughts similar to most people here. It's a bit like the Samaritans but better lol !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My parents feel guilty for passing on bad genes and they like me were told I would have complications, would have to have a caesarian if I had kids, would die early from diabetes. Difficultys with life insurance and car insurance in those days too...
Friends can be closer than family too.
Think it is a natural reaction from anybody... Doesnt matter what you do to put brave face on to others, it is a natural thing.
I have a friend with MS in a wheelchair and I have the same thoughts toward her..
I just wish I could do something to help her, and yes I have gone home from walking my dogs in the rain, i just had to have my long coat on... She had to have a less nice looking cape thing put over her and her wheelchair..
My thoughts were always... Poor xxx, but then I so admired her too as she always took her dog out and pushed herself every single day.
I think people do feel sorry that we have to look after ourselves different to non diabetics... But they also admire the strength in our minds and bodies to cope.
I think also, people also know of people that have had complications and expect that you will get the same. Another friend has a type 1 sister who hasnt worked in her life, claims full dla, has had laser treatment within last 2 years. As soon as he knew me, he felt sorry for me based on his sister... But straight away it turned to admiration when he knew what I had done during my life.
But he does feel sorry for me because he knows all about hypos and hypers and just wishes that nobody had the disease... Not just me.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I feel like that, but I know how much I'm loved and how much everybody cares for me.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
WhatNotToEat said:
I'm the opposite. No one cares that I have diabetes let alone feeling like a burden.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Hi, I care and I'm sure there are others that do too, AND you are not a burden either :wave:

My D cares, but she is a child and I dont want to burden her,it would be nice to have a partner to ask how I am how's your BS today, or just to have a big diabetic cuddle....................... :D

Take care RRB

coco4

Hi Robinredbreast sending you a big big diabetic cuddle :lol: hope that helps on this cold and snowy February afternoon, Coco4 :wave:

Susiebabs

I find it most difficult when sympathy is tied to a lack of understanding. Like when I refuse a big slice of cake....lots of 'awww you can't have that can you'....which makes me want to say that 'yes I could if I'd balanced out for it but I don't actually want to have it and compromise my blood sugars'....or 'if you know I can't have it why are you actually holding a heaped plate out to me before making an obvious statement in front of everyone else about my diabetes'.

On the flip side my daughter really feels for me, she's 24, and I find her concern and compassion quite hard to bear (though very sweet) because in the great scheme of things it's my job to protect her not the other way round - no matter how irrational that is now she's an adult.

I don't generally feel down about it as I haven't had many complications arising from it and problems have been in other areas, but just now and then someone to say 'it sucks doesn't it' and give a hug....yeah....that would be welcome! Or not having to either explain or work round food choices at events.... :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
coco4 said:
Hi Robinredbreast sending you a big big diabetic cuddle :lol: hope that helps on this cold and snowy February afternoon, Coco4 :wave:

Aaawwww thank you coco4, :D what a lovely gesture, bless you :angel:

All the best RRB

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Ok it's only been 4 days since diagnosis but the wife is treating me like I'm totally helpless.... It's fantastic, I just have to find a way of milking it (semi skimmed of course)

Sharon68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Andy12345 said:
Ok it's only been 4 days since diagnosis but the wife is treating me like I'm totally helpless.... It's fantastic, I just have to find a way of milking it (semi skimmed of course)

rofl Andy, make the most of it, it wont last!! :lol: Get her on here, we'll soon put her straight :thumbup: