What BG meter

maddiemo

At the moment Im using accu chec compact plus meter but the test strips are so expensive so I think I will change it.
Can anyone give me any advise on a good meter with cheaper test strips?
Thanks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The general consensus is that the SD Codefree is the cheapest to run but it also reads higher than many other meters which bothers some people.

I often use a SD Codefree and knock one point off the reading and then it conforms to what I would get if I had used my Freestyle. This technique means that the readings are like the ones my nurse would get if she uses her Freestyle on me and yet the test strips are a fraction of the price.

milehouse

Hi Maddiemo.
This is the question that I asked but as yet have not received a response. Hope you get more interest than I have from this forum! :eh: :thumbdown:

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are several different threads suggesting that the Codefree is the cheapest meter to have if you are funding the testing yourself as the strips are the cheapest. It is available from Ebay and Amazon and direct from http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/bl ... esting.htm

According to people who use it, it does read high, but this doesn't matter if you are using it to find out what food you can tolerate and don't send your blood sugar too high.

I use a OneTouch Ultra2 because I get a limited amount of strips for this on prescription and usually top this up with ones I buy from ebay (these are usually sold by people who have had them on prescription - it is up to you if you go down this route).

You can buy meters and strips from Boots online and they have a part of the checkout that you state that you have diabetes and as such you don't have to pay the VAT. Buying from Boots can be expensive but if they have a 3 for 2 offer on along with the VAT refund this can work out at better value, but still more expensive than the Codefree.

Hope this helps.

milehouse

Denise.
Thank you for that information. I will check up on the Codefree .. This option seems to be the most convenient for me as I just want to find out what food I can tolerate without my readings going too high. From your readings you look to be winning ...good luck to you..
Thanks Liz

charmasters

I use the WaveSense Jazz BG meter and can't fault it! It holds 1,865 tests (great for drivers), I did my research and it seems to be the most accurate and quite simply it is fantastic and even better that the strips are of the cheapest around! It seems that a lot of people are moving over to the Jazz meter. It's worth asking your nurse about :D :thumbup:

hazel3344

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi
I bought a supercheck2 direct from the maker and the strips are only £8.99 Its in a nice plastic carry box and you can buy the cable to download onto the computer.It is more accurate than the codefree

BabyFoXi_666

I have been told by My Doctor's Surgery . That if I don't use the monitor that They issue .. That I will have to buy My own strips and needles . Don't think that is Right But who can afford to do that .. Not Pleased about this as it is properly a job lot of monitors. LoL . XxX ..

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hazel3344 said:
hi
I bought a supercheck2 direct from the maker and the strips are only £8.99 Its in a nice plastic carry box and you can buy the cable to download onto the computer.It is more accurate than the codefree

I spoke to the supercheck company today and the person who I spoke to was really helpfull, and got talking generally about my diabetes and the highs and lows I am getting and he was more concered about my control than the doctor has shown for the past few months.

He seams to know his stuff about diabetes, and I should receive a meter by Friday. The test strips were cost effective compared to others, cant exactly remember the exact prices he quoted but were around what is shown above.If my GP stops me ordering any more, as I have gone through around a hundred strips in 2 to 3 weeks which is normally what I get through a year.

Will be comparing results with my current meter, I know you should not as which meter is the more correct. Just want to see if there is a little or big difference between the 2, and will more than likely switch over to the supercheck2 system, and then order the data cable.

g0mrl

My local diabetes clinic recently gave me a meter (when I moved onto injecting as well as pills), and when my finger pricker packed up, I rang Bayer, and they sent me a meter and pricker for free - so now I have 3 meters! I get the Accuchek strips on prescription; I do about one test a day, just to keep an eye on things, sometimes doing more for a period if I think something may be wrong. I know some doctors, or perhaps health authorities, are less generous than others. A friend of mine in Stockport cannot get test strips on prescription, even though I gave him my old meter for which I could get prescription strips.

I have tried a friend's Bayer Contour meter, and found it gives higher results than my Accu-Chek Aviva. I really think it's unacceptable that various meters give higher or lower results, although if you do a test, and straight away another test, the results are unlikely to be the same. Any scientific instrument worth its salt should be better than this.

Having said that, I am reasonably happy with my Accu-Chek Aviva.

Cynthia6

I have the buyer contour meter and I think it is very good and if you have to buy your strips like I have you can buy them half price on eBay.
Hope this helps,
Also this website is giving away gayer contor xt meters at the moment

sue cope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Why can't you have a free meter (most companies offer them) and get test strips on prescription ? Is it because you aren't on Insulin ? I have always had a free meter (from Accu Chek) which replace it if broken, or a new model is available, and supply free batteries, record books and test solution. My GP has never queried prescribing me test strips. Maybe I am just lucky?