Will I ever cope?

taffy_63

Hi
I was diagnosed nearly 40 years ago the week before my tenth birthday. I am the eldest of three girls and we all learnt together! When I look back I don't know how we coped - but we did. My mum and dad were brilliant and I never suspected that they were ever phased by it, but I'm sure they were devastated as I am the only diabetic before or since. We knew nothing and there were only a few leaflets to read at that time. I can remember hitting my teens and thinking that nobody would ever want to be with a diabetic, but here I am with 2 grownup sons, a beautiful grandson and celebrating my silver wedding anniversary last year. Then about 4 years ago I was doing a carb counting course and the DSN there (whose husband was T1, and who was the best DSN I have ever met) told us all that diabetes was a lonely journey - and she was right. It was the first time I had sat in a room full of diabetics where we actually interacted with each other. Let's face it, we all sit in clinics but we don't go every week and see the same people and chat about how we are to people who have had similar experiences and who understand. So the best piece of advice I can give to anyone with a new diagnosis is to get together with other diabetics and see how they manage. Allow your youngsters to see grownups doing their bloods and their injections in public places, working out their carbs and offering advice on coping with hypos etc. It's the one thing that I missed as a child, and most if not all children want to fit in and be the same as everyone else. And you know at 45 I felt as if was the same as everybody in that room and that was amazing.
Now my diabetes has never stopped me doing anything, and I would be offended if anyone described my diabetes as a disability because it's a condition, but to be in a room of like-minded people with similar experiences was pretty liberating!
Children can and do cope with diabetes and because they do, so do their parents, but build up a support network so you can feel confident and your youngster don't feel different.
I hope I don't sound patronising and I apologise if that's the case, but I have friends with diabetic children and just talking to someone who's been there, done that, got the t-shirt and shrunk it in the washing machine has helped!!

maxies-mom

You are already coping! You are the perfect mum for your little one and you are already doing everything right. As a new SugarMommy (3 weeks into this) I hear you and I hear your heart. I have cried a river. I have cried until my throat was actually bleeding - privately of course - and I also doubted if I could carry this load. But once I realised that it is a series of protocols, rules, nothing more and nothing less, and that I didn't cause it and cannot cure it and have no straight answers, I just let go and gave into the reality of it. I accepted it as something totally out of my control to change but perfectly within my control to manage. And realised I was already coping. The grief is still there, and if I could rip our my own pancreas and give it to my son I would, but if wishes were horses....
I found myself wanting to smack stupid people who said "lucky he got it so young" and "lucky you caught it early". And realised that for everyone, T1 is a terrible shock and what do you say really? So we do our thing without apology. Max is back at school and we have made discovering T1 an adventure for his classmates. They all went home with lacerated fingers and perfect blood sugar results, but they now empathise a little and understand more. His teachers were each given saline pens and a teddy and we all practiced injections or "injeckshuns" as one little chap wrote to Max, until all of us were comfortable and confident.
There are going to be great days and good days and there are going to be horrible days and nightmares. But we aren't going to fear this thing. Respect it yes, but not fear it.
You are a perfect mum. You are already coping.
Message me anytime you like. I am as new to the technicalities as you are but I sure can listen and girl I can make a rainy day bright with attitude.
Philly. xxxxx

jayne15

loved your comment maxies-mom sat here with tears in my eyes what an inspirational person you are and give hope to us who are feeling a bit down. Thankyou x

maxies-mom

I am here always. It is in giving we receive and this forum and all of you are utterly amazing. I don't know how the messaging works on the forum, being blonde and rather technically challenged (you should have seen me wrestling with Maxes Clic-pen, I almost bled to death) but I am here, and with you, and we are all in this ghastly bloody canoe together, so we may as well shore each other up, learn to give great hug and enjoy what we can of the ride and the scenery. It is a beautiful day in Ramsgate. Sunny and mild. But I used my day to stay in my pyjamas and sleep. What a luxury.
Max and Joe have gone ballistic all afternoon on the trampoline and in the garden. A perfect average 6.3 week has just been shot to hell with valentines chocolates smuggled into the playroom and a cracking 10.9 on the richter scale. Not the end of the world but we have a yoyo night ahead as we get things back to "normal". So glad I got some shut eye in.
What did the rest of you get up to?
Much love Philly

Very lost 101212

All you above are a true inspiration. I hope one day I can turn around and say ...yes I can do this. I know I am getting there...but my progress is so terribly slow it's embarrassing. A deeply heartfelt thank you to all above.

My first weekend in 9 weeks where I relaxed and watched total trash on the Telly! X