Is there anybody out there that is happy to have diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bodybuilder type1

Hello my name is Peter I am a diabetic type1 and have been since I was 11 I'm 25 now and just wondered if there was any other diabetics that are happy to have diabetes as I am
I actually like the routeine
I like the free medical card
I like the free nutritionist
I like that I can manipulate insulin and use it to my advantage
I like explaining to people that I have diabetes and how it all works
I used it as a chat up line on many occasions and it gets a rely good conversation going
I like how it makes you disciplined and keeps you head I focus with reality I also enjoyed it during party years whenever I felt sick or bad but as long as my sugars are right I'm ok just like in the gym if I feel low in energy ill test my sugar but if its not my sugar and its just me feeling tired then I know it's ok to push even harder its like a little man saying well your ok here man but stop ****** about and get back into it
Just wondering if anybody else was happy with diabetes because diabetics give diabetes such a hard time sometimes if you want to live strong and healthy you must except you diabetes and be friend him , :) I prob sound like a nut case to some people here but sure how and ever :-D

erinkirby

Re: Is there anybody out there that is happy to have diabete

I kind of get where you're coming from. I'm Type 1 and have had it for about 31 years now (diagnosed at 10) and although I wouldn't turn down the offer of a miracle cure, I honestly think I would feel very lost without it if they were to find a cure. It's such a huge part of my life now and has formed the person I am today - who I quite like lol! If it was suddenly removed (and don't get me wrong, I sincerely hope they do find a cure and I'll be first to try and get on the waiting list when they do!) then it would take a huge amount of re-adjustment on my part.

I'm proud of being diabetic and being able to control how it affects me - long may we live!! :thumbup:

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!

I'm certainly not happy to have diabetes, I'd love to go back to eating chocolate everyday.

DaveNN

I sort of understand why someone would be happy to be a diabetic, though I would probably suggest that you are just very comfortable with the condition and possibly a confident and happy individual by nature in the first place.

I'm a new type 2 and not over the moon about it..but it's not a ball ache as such.

NOW..what I don't understand is deaf people who are happy to be deaf..to the extent where there openly criticise those who have had cochlea implants or wish that their own kiddies are born deaf too.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

Never...

andywright

There will definately be smiles on my face when they find a cure :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

You're only 25 and far less years in life amd diagnosis... I hope for you... That you saying that when your years on both are doubled...
I certainly won't be here to get your posting then!!

Sounds negative... But I'm realistic type 1... Always will andhave been.... Got told too much bad info when I was diagnosed 27+ years ago.... I hope you continue to be happy with your diagnosis and life... I really, really do.. It is nice to hear ++++'s for people.

Me, I'm too honest.... To be honest.... People use the expression... 'I wouldnt wish on my worst enemy'...
Me...... Yes I would if I had an Alladin Genie to take D fro me... To absolute enemy.... Pistols or D... I'd give them D... Too bad a shot with a pistol....!!

Hoping that you really do get more encouraging replies... And you can still say that 30 years later..... Look after your D.....

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!

Bodybuilder type1 said:
Hay ya Sarah 69 why can't u eat chocolate you must b type 2then yeah ?

I'm type 2 on insulin, I can't eat chocolate in the quantities I used to!

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

No way

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

No!

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I cant say im happy to have diabetes but Ive fully accepted it. Diabetes and me is one person now. Its a huge part of my life but i like my life so i would say I like my diabetes. I have no choice anyway so its better to like than hate it

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity

I'm not happy to have diabetes, but I'm happIER to have a proper diagnosis rather than being treated individually for a bunch of life threatening symptoms such as chronic asthma and bronchitis, gastritis, IBS, Meniere's Disease, angioedema, anaphylactic shock. I had all those medical conditions for years, nearly lost my life 3 times with anaphylactic shock and angioedema and was on the verge of jumping off the nearest bridge just before I was diagnosed with so called 'simple' T2 Diabetes.

Three weeks later my world had begun turning around. The asthma was disappearing by the day, the gastric problems, fullness and bloating, reflux etc receded, the itching skin (which drove me to the point of insanity, never understimate the power of an itch) and the swelling of my skin and internal organs began to recede. I can't tell you what it means to be struggling to walk, breathe and talk, using sticks and 6 weeks later to be breathing normally, walking normally and able to talk and walk at the same time.

There's an element of Stockholme Syndrome involved for me. I've been held 'hostage' by diabetes for over 20 years, I was diagnosed as borderline 33 years ago after my second child was born. Nothing has shown up since, I've been borderline but the damage was being done slowly and gradually. When the diagnosis came along it was like the 'hostager' was also my 'saviour' and I was grateful to it for revealing itself. But really, I'd prefer not to have diabetes, but if I DO have it, I want to KNOW what I'm dealing with.

I don't think of it as the enemy, it's a condition, it doesn't have an agenda, it just is what it is, I have to understand that and work with it as best I can. I could hate it for doing so much damage without revealing itself for so many years, I could hate the medical profession for not having better diagnostic criteria and for inventing that stupid 'borderline diabetes' threshold that is so dangerous. But what's the point?

My priority is me getting well. So that's what the diagnosis did for me, it identified the true problem, it allowed the proper treatment and diet to be made, it removed those other 'illnesses' I'd been diagnosed with, it removed most of the pills and inhalers I was taking and gave me some energy, enthusiasm, quality of life and my sense of humour back. If I could get rid of diabetes I would. But if I can't, then at least I know what I'm dealing with. :D

It's Saturday morning, I'm 59 years of age, I've been up since 6am, I've done some washing, mopped the kitchen floor, vacuumed, thrown out some rubbish, am now going to do more washing and have a re-arrange of furniture. This time last year I didn't even have the energy to THINK of doing all that, never mind DO it. It took me all my energy to get out of bed, make tea and get back into the chair. And I HATED that. I hated feeling lazy and tired. I'm an active person and I'd changed over time into a slug. And I was my own worst enemy, because every day I called myself for everything for being UNABLE to drum up the energy to do something. Chronic fatigue and depression have to be the worst conditions ever because they're stupid. They make no sense. We see no reason for them. We feel stupid when we have them. We believe they're all in the mind and we can snap out of them if only we try hard enough.

We can't. There are ALWAYS underlying reasons for them and those reasons are often as not, NEVER DISCOVERED. I think may people diagnosed with mental illnesses may also be suffering from undiagnosed diabetes. Swinging blood sugars means swinging moods. Swinging moods = bipolar = strong meds.

My heartfelt wish is for whoever is responsible in the medical profession - WHO - to review the diagnostic criteria for diabetes so that it's caught earlier, that 'borderline' becomes more than a cliche, but becomes a condition that warrants treatment, doing something about BEFORE it gets too far and before other complications mask the true problem.

Over and Out :thumbup:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Bodybuilder type1 said:
'' Just wondering if anybody else was happy with diabetes'' because diabetics give diabetes such a hard time sometimes if you want to live strong and healthy you must except you diabetes and be friend him , :) I prob sound like a nut case to some people here but sure how and ever :-D

Peter, it was only after reading this part of your post that I began to realize what you are saying, your not asking if people are happy to have been diagnosed with diabetes but your asking if there's people out there who accept it and find some positives from living with this life-long condition.........please correct me if I'm wrong!!!

If that's the case then then the answer is YES. By far the negatives outnumber the positives and I wouldn't wish diabetes on my worst enemies, however when I look back on my life with diabetes there's not much I would have done with my life had I not had this condition, the daily injections, bg testing and the worry of hypo's and hypo's together with the prospect of future complications can become overwhelming at times, however there are some positives which I can find.

Regular diabetes health checks gives me the reassurance that all is well and I hope that by the taking of bloods and urine samples they can spot any other health threatening condition that may develop.

Was it not for diabetes I'm not sure how healthy my diet would be or would I see it as vitally important to long-term health, yes we are taught from an early age the importance of a well balanced diet but whether we would put it into practice were it not for diabetes is a different thing.

Exercise and weight management. Without doubt we all know the importance of these two and how it can help in our daily fight, again I'm not too sure if I'd be bothered as much to take the dog out in the rain for a long walk or to cycle those few extra miles were it not for diabetes.

As I say the negatives far outweigh the positives by a million miles, I curse the day I found out I had diabetes but I don't let it beat me up as much as it did say 15-20 years ago.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying

Hi All.

I am not happy to have diabetes.
But - I am grateful that something made me take things more seriously .
And less for granted ...
Always been a real skinny minnie and got very cocky with it too .
Used to often skip real meals and head off to the newsagents at lunchtimes instead :thumbdown:

So I am grateful that something came along and taught me to do things 'properly'
for my own sake , health and future ...
Hard to put this into words - but yep think this is how I really 'do' feel.

At the time I was blazing mad angry :evil:
As had fought pneumonia and septis infections off and it took me 10months
to recover - then 'D' day arrived :shock:
Now I see things soooo differently :)

Anna.

AMBrennan

I agree that diabetes does force you to look out for your health and watch what you eat (cf people in town casually drinking Lucozade) but... To be honest, it sounds like you could do most of those things without diabetes.
I like that I can manipulate insulin and use it to my advantage
That seems about the only real benefit - access (for free) and carte blanche to use performance enhancing drugs normally banned in athletic competitions :twisted:

Bodybuilder type1

If someone offered me a pill to get rid of my diabetes I'm not sure i would take it diabetes has never held me back I'm a drummer and have played festivals I excersise 3 days a week every week for the last 5years I also rock climb every Tuesday and am considering doing some natural bodybuilding shows I eat whenever I want and never let diabetes get me down I don't think diabetes is that bad at all once you educate your self to know your self . Sure I have mates with mental illnesses and I would pick diabetes over that any day my other friend has cancer and another mate who has to get blood transfusions every month I would way rather diabetes than there life style hands down . I'm not saying diabetes is easy but a positive attitude will make u have better bloods and I plan to live a long and healthy life until I'm 90 years old with no complications and ill do it :)

maxies-mom

BodyBuilder Type 1, I want my son to know you! You are exactly the kind of influence he needs in his life having been diagnosed T1 at 8 years old just 3 weeks ago. Although saying that, he came tearing past me the other day, screeched to a halt and said, MOM, the best thing about diabetes is I get to have you home every day after school. A sob caught in my throat because so much has changed, and I hang my head in shame to admit that it is all change for the better.
A cure would be wonderful but and this is a big but, I don't want to "cure" what this disease has done for our family. We are closer, kinder, eat better and together, I work smarter and not the insane hours I used to, and we appreciate every little thing as a result. Life is lived now as it should be and it gets easier and better one day at a time. I don't want to "cure" that.
Attitude is everything we have rapidly discovered, and acceptance is key.
I salute you, what an incredibly love filled person you are!
Blessings and a giant SugarMomma hug all the way from South Africa
Philly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Is there anyone out there that is happy to have Diabetes?

I have been looking at this post and only now I have decided to reply. Type 1 for nearly 24 years, recentlyhad lots of ups and downs and now been diagnosed with yet another medical condition and more blood tests next week.

Am I happy, content, pleased, euphoric,glad etc whatever the wording is, my answer is NO. I know it has been a huge wake up call for many type 2's who have posted on this forum, but the constant injections, finger pricking, hypo's, hypers, injection sites, even going into a diabetic coma and all the other auto- immune medical conditions that are asscociated with Diabetes, then................

NO

Have you seen a child fighting for their life in hospital? if not, then I pray you never will.

That's how I really feel :(

RRB

Status
Not open for further replies.