type2 and "hypos "

ceegee52

please help, im type2 diet controled.
Lately iv had what i call " funny turns " where my vision is very distorted, light headed where i think im going to pass out.
Then i shake after a bit. Can anyone tell me what this means ??
After these occur iv taken a blood sample, my reading are either around 9.7 or 2.8 or there abouts.
On new years eve i spoke to my doc as i thought these were hypos. He told me that type2 diabetics cant take hypos.
My brother who is type1 and insuline dependent say they are hypos.
Who's right ???
Im so confussed by conflicing information.

cath

tizzy

hi my daughter is not diabetic although its in the family she asked me to test her blood because she felt so awfull it was 3.9 she had not eaten for hours so her body was telling her she needed food i supose the difference is she would not go into a coma like someone on meds or insulin but still had effects of low blood sugar hope this helps

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Cath
I felt slightly shaky after having lunches of whole meal/white bread plus a banana.
(C.160 grams of bread) It came on 4.5 to 5.5 hours after lunch and I also found my blood glucose was under 4 mmol/L on my meter at times..

I now have less bread for lunch (c.80grms) and have c.300 grms of fruit instead (but not bananas).
Part orange, part pear, plums and straws.
The lower GI food keeps the glucose feeding into my system longer and hopefully will 'iron out' the peaks and troughs of glucose. I certainly don't feel shaky now before my evening meal.
regards
Derek

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Your doctor is wrong - anyone can have a hypo, they are not reserved for diabetics.

In my heavy-drinking days, pre-diabetes, I used to wake up in the small hours, sweating, heart pounding, shaking - it was only after I had been diagnosed Type 2 that I read up on hypos and realised that that was what I'd been having. Haven't had one since.

I have a friend who swears she is Type 2 and yet has often gone funny with a hypo and collapsed in the street, necessitating paramedics. Mind you, in her place I'd be asking for a review . . .

Your 9.7 reading suggests you may be getting the odd hyper as well. Unfortunately I believe the symptoms are the same!

Why not keep a detailed food diary and see if you can work out what you are eating that may be triggering either?

As far as treating hypos goes - carry glucose tablets with you at all times. When you feel funny - test your levels. If you are low, crunch up a couple of glucose tabs and test again after 15 minutes. If still too low ("4 is the floor") have another glucose tab. Then eat something carby but slow release (oatcakes are good) to help stabilise you.

If your BGs are high - don't try the glucose tabs :shock: . I've never had a hyper - you need advice from someone who knows about them.

Hope this helps

Viv 8)

tisme

ceegee52 said:
please help, im type2 diet controled.
Lately iv had what i call " funny turns " where my vision is very distorted, light headed where i think im going to pass out.
Then i shake after a bit. Can anyone tell me what this means ??
After these occur iv taken a blood sample, my reading are either around 9.7 or 2.8 or there abouts.
On new years eve i spoke to my doc as i thought these were hypos. He told me that type2 diabetics cant take hypos.
My brother who is type1 and insuline dependent say they are hypos.
Who's right ???
Im so confussed by conflicing information.

cath
oh yes you can have hypos I an type 2 depends sometimes on the type of medicine you are taking glicazide is the worst culprit i have had quite a few .some medicines you are less likely like junivia

Re: type2 and "hypos "

When my blood was high, before & just after I was diagnosed, I was constantly feeling dizzy & lightheaded, to the point where it felt like my head/eyes were constantly spinning. I mentioned this to the gentleman who was carrying out my retinopathy and he wasn't surprised, he said it was because my blood was like treacle! It has now stopped.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

daisy3174

Yes<I agree the doctor is wrong,I am Type 2?MODY? and it was Hypos that led to diagnosis,I have gone as low as 2.2 (no diabetic medication) with all of your symptoms, I also get similar if my sugar is above 12mmol but not as bad.The key is keeping your levels as stable as you can so your not going high/low, low/high.And always carry Lucozade/glucotabs especially in the car.Hope you feel better soon x

Lesley r

Re: type2 and "hypos "

I have recently had pancreatitis and am type 2 my sugars went up into the 20's they first increased metformin to 4 a day then added glyclazide after a week yesterday they gave me januvia this morning my sugars were 4 I felt really weird never had hypo before. Do I carry on taking all these tablets for the weekend?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi Lesleyr

If you have been running high blood glucose levels for some time you will sometimes get hypo feelings at a level (eg 4) that is not technically a hypo.

My advice (though I am no expert, as I only take Metformin) is to get a 6-pack of small bottles of Lucozade and also to get some glucose tablets - most chemists and sweet shops have them. I have 3 packets - bedside, handbag, car. I'd keep the Lucozade in the same places.

Then if you start to feel strange, test your BGs and take the Lucozade or glucose accordingly. Make sure that you don't push your readings too high by taking too much. Test after 15 minutes and if still too low, take a bit more. Then eat oatcakes or similar, slowly - carry those with you, too!

Don't be afraid to call for help if you need it - NHS Direct, or even an ambulance. :D

I think if I was in your place I'd be looking to keep my blood glucose levels between the high 5s and low 7s at the moment. As your body gets more used to lower levels you'll not get hypo feelings and will be able to lower your BGs gradually by controlling your carb intake.

If you start low-carbing, be very strict with your testing. I think both gliclizade and januvia can cause hypos, and your doses of both will need to be adjusted as your body gets used to lower blood glucose.

Keep a record of your blood tests results so that you can keep an eye out for trends, and so that you have something to show your GP when you discuss drug doses.

Hope you're better soon :D . Let us know how you get on.

Viv 8)