starting insulin on monday

foxyccc

After an unsuccessful trial with bydureon (caused severe sickness and nausea) the GP has decided that I will now have to start insulin as my HBAIc is too high at 8.4 and my morning glucose levels are in the 9 and 10s.

I am on maximum tablets (metformin, januvia, glicizide) and as I have chronic fatigue syndrome (~which means I suffer severe fatigue and cannot do the recommended exercise) I have no other options left to me but insulin.

The nurse says she will probably prescribe either humolog or Insulatard 10ml to be injected at bedtime once a day.

I am very nervous about starting this regime as I had such a bad experience with Bydureon.

As I have the Chronic Fatigue my body doesnt seem to be able to cope with normal doses of drugs that are given to me, so the nurse assures me that we can go slowly and increase the doses slowly and over a longer period of time.

Knowing nothing about insulin I assumed that you had the injections instead of the tablets but I have been told that I still have to take the tablets (they might lower the glicizide) I rattle around already - 7 tablets a day plus a statin!

Has anyone any experience of starting insulin and give me some re assurance. Are there any side effects apart from the risk of hypos?

Thanks for any advice Regards

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I too had to stop Bydureon after a few weeks but for a different reason.

I start daily insulin injection on monday too. :)

I've to keep taking Metformin and reduced amount of Gliclazide but they stopped the Januvia.

Sickness and nausea are known side effects of Bydureon but you should be fine with Insulin. Side effects are rare apart from possible allergic reactions. Have a look at this page on the main site http://www.diabetes.co.uk/insulin/insulin-side-effects.html it should help to reassure you.

They'll start you on a low dose and gradually increase so the risk of hypo should be low. Providing you are testing you should be fine.

Good luck :)

prwilson

Good luck to both of you on Monday.

I know starting on insulin can be pretty scary, but it's really no problem once you get used to it and into the rhythm.

I was badly needle phobic, I used to pass out whenever I had to have an injection, but I've been on insulin now for a couple of years and it's no problem at all. I find injecting much less painful than blood tests.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Insulin is ok.... Please makesure that you try and ensure even more so now that you can blood test test yourself and ALWAYS before driving

Side effects of insulin are really minimal than comparison to tablets..best idea.. Dont read side effects info and see if you do actually feel different at 8 hrs, 24, 48 or 96 htrs later...

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I cant see any sides effects apart from hypos. At the beginning quite a lot but now rarely. you will need to adjust the dose and you will be fine. maybe my favourite quote will help you :)

Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood. Marie Curie

foxyccc

Thank you all for your replies. It is going to be a nuisance to have to inject myself every night, but I guess it is just something that you get used to. I did manage the bydureon injection myself but I still have a large lump where the injection was, even the nurse was surprised it was so large after five weeks! Will I end up with a big lumpy tummy if it takes so long for the lump to go down!

Fingers crossed that the insulin lowers my blood glucose a little so I can get some more energy!

Good luck Scottish Jim - looks like we are both starting insulin on Monday and neither of us got on with Bydureon!

Will blood test more next week after starting insulin so I can monitor my glucose levels, the nurse wants to get my morning level to 8.00 rather than between 9 and 10 where it is now. I am pleased the nurse says we can go slowly slowly to get used to the insulin. My body seems to blow a gasket at normal drug regimes as I have ME. The Doctor says I have a double whammy as I have two diseases to cope with the Diabetes and the ME. I am hoping to get the Diabetes under better control so my health improves generally.

I like the Marie Curie quote Ewelina. Once I understand the insulin regime and are having injecting myself then the fear will subside I am sure!

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
foxyccc said:
Will I end up with a big lumpy tummy if it takes so long for the lump to go down!

The bumps at the injection site are another known side effect of Bydureon. You shouldn't have the same problem with insulin. Just keep moving the injection site.

foxyccc said:
Good luck Scottish Jim - looks like we are both starting insulin on Monday and neither of us got on with Bydureon!

I've decided to be positive about my daily insulin injection and I'm kind of looking forward to starting and hope I can finally get my blood sugars down. My diabetes nurse has told me to aim for 7.0 as my morning level!
Compared to my current levels that's almost a hypo :shock: :lol:

T2+CFS

I am pleased to say that I started insulin on Monday and did my first injection with the GP practioner nurse, she has started me on Humilin I Kwik Pen. 10 units.The injection doesnt hurt and it was quite simple to do. I did my first injection last night myself (I inject myself at bedtime once a day) and apart from being nervous about getting the needle into the pen and then into me with the correct dose, I managed quite well and was proud that I managed it!

My morning blood glucose readings were between 9 and 10 and we are aiming for morning readings between 8 and 9. I got an 8.4 this morning so it looks like it is down a bit already! Have to go back Friday for a follow up. I have been given lots of information on Insulin and diabetes and have to notify the DVLC now to notify them I am on insulin.

Quite pleased with the initial first two days and am looking forward to getting more energy once the blood glucose levels go down. :D

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
T2+CFS said:
I am pleased to say that I started insulin on Monday

Well done on starting injecting yourself. :thumbup:
You're right it is pretty painless and easy to do. It will soon be second nature.
I have started on 10 units too. My diabetes nurse says I've to look for a morning reading of 7. If I don't get it after three days I've to increase the dose by two units and try another three days and so on till I get to 7.

I've just sent my DIAB1 form to DVLA but not heard anything back yet. I got it by going onto the DVLA website and searching "diabetes" then downloaded the PDF file before filling it out and posting it.

I like your positive attitude :thumbup:

Good luck

Jim

foxyccc

glad u are getting on well Jim. my nurse is going go slowly with me. my morning levels are in the 8 range now which is where re nurse wanted to aim for first. back tomorrow for another follow up. fingers crossed for our continued success.

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think to go slowly is best. I'm in the eights too.

Turned up my dose to 12 this morning.

It's a bit like a slow game :lol:

Yep, fingers crossed

Good luck

Jim :)

Hez14

Hi I started on insulin yesterday too it's a bit daunting. I was surprised I had a reading of 13.1 this morning but hopefully it will start to come down slowly.

I had woken up at 2am feeling slightly anxious is this normal. I had thought maybe it was a false hypo as my sugars dropped to a lower level quicker than normal.

I often had morning readings of 16.6 :(

Heather

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

foxyccc

Hi Hez. My level dropped from between 9 and 10 to 8s after one day on insulin. I am going back to the GP today to monitor how we are getting on. The only thing I noticed last night that I woke up at 2am starving hungry even though I had a normal dinner, and a small snack before bed. I have a slight metalic taste in my mouth too.
I had a bowl of porridge this morning and already am hungry!

I hope you get your blood glucose reduces. The nurse is going slowly slowly with me, as it took me a long time for my body to adjust to the metformin and glicizide and we are doing the same with the new insulin regime.

I think with the anxiety it is something that we all get when we are are told about all the possible problems we can get including hypos. This is why when I woke up hungry last night I thought am I going hypo are am I just hungry! Before diabetes you would just say" boy am I hungry! " I am certainly more anxious now about hypos and the GP has told me to have a snack (preferably fruit!) between meals. I carry a sweet drink around with me together with a few biscuits incase I need to eat! I nearly went hypo when the GP incrased my meds too high for me. I do recognise the hypo symptoms but it does scare you! I tell myself that if I make sure I eat at regular hours and have a snack between meals I will be fine!

I am not finding it too hard to inject the insulin but I have to get used to a new diabetic regime! At least I have gone from 7 tablets a day down to four!

Hope you get on ok.

Hez14

Hi that's great things are getting better for you. I tried nearly all the oral meds and was unable to tolerate them and my sugars were going up and up.

Glad to say they are down to 11.5 this morning so a step in the right direction.

Think you might be right about the anxiety and the worry of hypos. Slept better last night.

Heather x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi foxyccc, try not to be too stressed about starting insulin, it could be just what you need, If you are started on a low dose of long acting insulin or a mixed insulin once a day there should be little chance of a hypo at least in the early stages until you get much lower levels, just be alert to the fact they can happen and keep a small bottle of lucozade or some glucose tablets close to hand just in case.

Getting tighter control of your bg levels will probably have a good effect on your energy levels as well as running high bg levels is linked to tiredness and lethargy :thumbup:

Good luck with your new regime.

Ps. I was on insulin for a year and was terrified of needles but I got used to it in no time at all and the needles are so small and thin it is relatively pain free, just a slight scratch if you hit a nerve.

To minimise the chance of lumps under the skin keep the needle in and count slowly to five before withdrawing it this ensures all the inslin is injected and then massage the area with your finger tips to help the insulin disperse evenly. Alternate injection sites too. I'm sure all this will be explained to you :thumbup:

foxyccc

Can anyone tell me why I am feeling so hungry after starting insulin. I seem to be permanently hungry even after eating a meal. I woke at 2am the other night, stomach rumbling and feeling ravenous. I had had a normal dinner and even a snack before bedtime. I knew my blod glucose levels shouldnt have been low and were 8.5 in the morning. I had the same ravenous feeling this afternoon and had just eaten a snack of half a tea cake and a small banana. My blood glucose was 10 at this point. The nurse says to take my blood several times a day two hours after eating. My glucose levels are coming down, but I hate this feeling like I have not eaten when I have! Does this feeling go away?

The nurse wants me to take my morning blood gluc levels for four days and if they are over 8 then increase by two units. I have only been on insulin four days, and didnt want to increase straight away. I had a lot of trouble accepting the diabetic drugs and as I have ME (Chronic Fatigue) I know I have to go slowly. I stood my ground and said I would increase when my body felt ok with the insulin dose. She said it was ok to do that. We all know our bodies and sometimes we have to be guided by our intuition. I will increase when I feel by body has adapted to the low glucose readings perhaps after a week not three days!

If anyone can shed some light on the hunger pangs it would put my mind at rest.