Newly Diagnosed and not sure I can do this :-(

elaine77

Hi everyone...

I guess I will start at the start which is to say that I developed gestational diabetes in 2010 while pregnant with my son. There is no family history of diabetes or gestational diabetes at all and during my pregnancy it was easily controlled with Metformin. Six weeks after I had my son they did a GTT test which was completely normal. Over the course of a few months late last year I started getting terrible headaches especially in the morning, I started getting really really thirsty all the time and by the time I started having to get up 3 or 4 times during the night to pee I suspected the diabetes was back.

I visited my GP and told him that I thought the diabetes had returned. He took one look at me and my info on the screen and didn't believe me. I am 26 years old and my BMI is 23.1 so he basically said I wasn't old enough or fat enough to have developed diabetes but to "put my mind at rest" he used a Ketostick on a urine sample right in front of me and funny enough it went bright purple. He still didn't think I fitted the diabetic profile though and so he called the hospital to speak to an endocrine consultant. The consultant was baffled too and said to give me a testing machine and prescribe me Gliclazide and refer me for blood tests. No other advice whether nutritional or otherwise was given and I was sent home. This was a week before Christmas.

I made changes in my diet and took the Gliclazide as prescribed and I was getting results as high as 14.4 mmol post meal and regardless of the time of day my levels were always between 9 and 14 mmol and I felt like rubbish so when those tablets ran out I called my GP and asked to be put on to Metformin as it worked when I was pregnant and the Gliclazide were clearly not helping me. They agreed and prescribed Metformin 500mg twice a day which I have been on ever since. My post meal levels are now usually between 7 and 8.5 mmol which is still slightly high but a massive improvement on the Gliclazide performance. The diabetic nurse had me down as Type 2 diabetic and told me to keep taking the Metformin and only test 2 or 3 times a week.

I then went to the diabetic hospital last week (for the first time since diagnosed) to meet with the consultant about my blood results. When I got there he told me he was baffled. He said that I WAS producing insulin and that the normal levels were 360 - 1400 and i was falling in at 395 so I was right at the bottom end of the scale but it supported type 2 diabetes as there was some insulin production. He then said that my GAD62 result was FOUR TIMES the normal level which indicated type 1 diabetes as my islet (Beta) cells were potentially being destroyed. He then said that the fact the Metformin was controlling the BG also supported type 2 aswell and that one third of type 2 diabetics do have the high GAD62 result. He also said I was on a rather low dose of Metformin again supporting type 2. Then he eventually told me he doesn't know what is going on as I seem to have what they call type 1.5 diabetes and so I have to go back in three months for repeat blood tests to basically see if the rest of my Beta cells are destroyed or not and if they are I will need insulin.

I left the hospital more confused then when I started and the thought of having to take insulin fills me with dread. I hate injections to the point where I even hate having to prick my finger for the BG tests. I honestly don' t think I could cope with having to inject insulin for the rest of my life :( I'm only 26 and information I've read talks about sight problems, circulation problems and reduced life expectancy.... I don't have any one in my life who really understands either as there is absolutely no family history of diabetes and none of my family even know of anyone who was ever diabetic. My husbands father is type 2 diabetic but he is 54 years old and extremely obese and unhealthy and so I don't think he can offer any insight at all as he just takes loads of Metformin and acts like he hasn't even got the disease.

Sorry for the essay folks but I didn't know what else to do the doctors are pretty useless and can't seem to tell me anything concrete.

Thanks for reading.
Elaine
:wave:

CambridgeLass

Hi Elaine,
I've just come across your post. I'm not a clinician so I can't help with your results, suffice to say there are many type 2s who turn out to be type 1. Type 1s will show high antibody production and may have residual insulin production, especially once the beta cells have been given a rest and they enter whats termed as the 'honeymoon phase'. Were you on meds before your blood tests? Your doctor is right in that you should go back after a while to be tested again. You just don't fit the textbook Type 2 they normally see. What I would do in you position is keep a log book/diary until your next appointment. Record what you eat, results of your testing, any activity you do and how you are feeing etc and take this with you. This is really helpful. Post meal BGs of 7-8 are fine (wish we could have these:). What are the pre meal ones like? - you're already in single figures my dear. Try not to worry and concentrate on your toddler who I'm sure is keeping you busy :) Don't worry about all complications and things you are reading - I was in tears reading all this textbook blurb until I found this forum and talked to other diabetics to realise things are much better than say 20 years ago - diabetics who have good control should have no reason to NOT be like anyone else. Insulin injections, by the way, are not like vacination jabs - that was my initial fear as we all know what they're like! My little girl was diagnosed 2 months ago and she doesn't even feel it, the device they have now is like a pen. She has a completly normal life as before with this just slotted in. We have no history and I was completely ignorant myself. I know its not helpful as nothings been confirmed for you but what ever the outcome is you CAN do it and I, and many others, are here to support you.

Nike69

You can do it because you are a strong Mumma!
Sometimes I read stuff on the web and even on here and I think OMG I cant do this.
My advise is to try to chill and stay calm Stress is BAD BAD BAD for our numbers. I suggest you eat really really healthy, no carbs only a small amount of complex ones, NO SUGAR at all, unless its naturally already in veg, not a lot of fruit, loads of really good veggies, all lean meat and loads of lovely fish. If you can seriously control what goes in your mouth it will help, you will feel better getting all the **** and additives out of your diet, after a while you will wake up and think............. Diabetes I will slay you!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Sorry to hear of your problems. Around 20% of those diagnosed as 'Type 2' are not overweight and insulin resistant. There are a range of reasons for this 20% having a failing pancreas including anti-bodies, pancreatitis, viruses and so on. You appear to have had anti-bodies detected via the GAD test and the low insulin confirms a below par pancreas. Metformin will help keep some of the sugar under control and Gliclazide sometimes helps for a while. With a positive GAD, you sadly fit the profile for Late onset Type 1 i.e. LADA or 1.5. As you realise you will eventually need insulin; hopefully not for a while. I'm a 'type 2' starting insulin this week, so you are not alone in this! I also have no family history of diabetes. Take care.

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Elaine, your story is very similar to mine, I was diagnosed in pregnancy buy when it didn't go away I was diagnosed with type 1, I write a post a while back in total panic feeling so miserable about this, I didn't think I would ever manage. Are you on insulin yet? I was diagnosed with what they thought was gestational diabetes in 2010, I was only 18 at the time and a BMI of approx 22, which is why they tested be for type 1 in my second pregnancy. My honeymoon phase lasted 2.5 years (from original diagnosis to being on insulin again) and honestly whilst it is annoying and I have my bad days, it does get better and becomes more of daily routine rather than anything else. Please pm me if you need any advice, being diagnosed with this can be a horrible time for lots of us, but your little one will get you through the tough days, it will get better I promise!

Sent from my HTC Desire C using DCUK Forum mobile app

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry my post was abit mis-spelled I'm on my phone so often press the wrong keys x

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I would say you are slow onset type 1, in 2010 my insulin levels were normal, July 2012 they were 95, metformin is sometimes prescribed to slow onset type 1's, it often works for a while, but it will shorten the time you produce insulin as it basically makes your pancreas produce insulin and use it more effectively, so most likely you will be insulin dependant. Children who get diabetes have type 1, that can start anytime from birth onwards.