please support n help me out

noosrat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hello am a new member of this association and i aged 36; my name is Nooosrat and one of the main aim y i join this asso is may be i badly need support to control my diabetes. i have got that illness during pregnancy of my second child and i am morally down with this illness. i am the sole one with it in my family and i know all the things n care to take in theory but my blood sugar keeps on shooting. sometimes i am so scared that i do not eat n got prob of gastrics. i am desperately trying to count the no of carbs in my food meal but with less success! i am on lantus 30 and novorapid 30 ml but i can not control it. i need HELP AND SUPPORT. just thinking of a visit to a doctor make me nervous and i know my bp rise up! so please no doctor. if i can get some friends for counselling HOW MUCH to eat i will be very grateful. i am a great fan of sweet things but i eat moderately but i want to STOP it. at home i got no support no guide so please HELP ME OUT i dont want to die with that illness. please HELP

carb-counting-mum

Hi,

Are you type 1 or 2?
Sorry you feel so down :( . Do you not have a diabetes team you can contact by phone? I understand you do not want to see your doctor, but there must be someone you can phone for advice on your insulin/carbs etc?
Re. food...have you tried slow release/(low glycemic index) carbs to keep you feeling fuller for longer? Thinking of porridge oats, all-bran, rye bread, wholemeal pasta etc. Perhaps try filling up on more proteins (meat/fish/cheese/eggs/vegetables/nuts) without spiking your blood sugars? If you have a sweet tooth, how about the following to try: sugar-free jelly, sugar-free squash, low sugar yogurts, Weight Watchers hot chocolate, a small square of plain chocolate (if only chocolate will do!), certain fruits may be OK, i.e kiwi, berries (but be careful with banana, melon, pineapple, dried fruits).

Do you have your own glucose monitor? Are you testing 2 hours after meals to see how your food affects your blood sugar? I test my daughter quite regularly throughout the day. I keep a food diary and this, together with the post-meal testing, has helped me tremendously in keeping her glucose levels under control. I can highly recommend a food diary, try it if you aren't doing this already.
I hope you find some support, you are obviously scared and want to get better control. You can do it!
x

noosrat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi dear
first of all, thanks a lot for your reply. i am of type 1 since 5 years and got it from pregancy. actually i am doing the test after 2 hrs meal and frankly the level is going down. i have tried it since this week after regristering with this site. can u foward me a model of your food diary may be i can adopt it. the main problem is that i am hungry but dare not eat. i just cut down completely with the cold drinks once i drank only a small amount. my blood test in the morining is gradually going down but the prob is that i am hungry before going to bed and taking a fruit is not enough!
i take novorapid(depend on how much i feed on) n lantus (30). i am now trying to count the level of carbs in my meal followed by test in two hours after meal. what i really craze for is some biscuits or cakes which i take at teatime. during the day more or less am ok since i have a busy schedule at work so i got precise time to eat. but when reaching home i am starving and want to eat something with my tea.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I'm T2 but if I'm hungry the only thing that solves the problem is protein, not fruit or carbs. Once I start eating enough protein at meals and in snacks, I rarely feel hungry. But when I just eat carbs or fruit hoping to fill the gap, I'm hungry again ten minutes later.

noosrat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi dear i will try it but what protein food u eat? meat, chicken? dont u count the carbs? and can u eat it at any time even between the meals? thanks for answering.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Noosrat,

Is there a long gap between your lunch and getting home from work?
If you are lowish (ie say in the 4s) then a biscuit to tide you over whilst you're getting dinner might be OK. I tend to do this if dinner is delayed a bit, I'm more likely to go for a couple of cheese straws than sweet things though. I then adjust the insulin with my meal a shade upwards to account for it (doctor doesn't like it though and she's probably right, see below)

Regular snacks as a T1 can cause problems. If you eat something with anymore than a few carbs in then you would definitely need extra insulin. It's possible to do this but then you risk stacking your insulin (ie you are adding more insulin when earlier insulin hasn't stopped working, it can be difficult to calculate the right amount) Unfortunately you may also find that eating protein snacks can still also cause a rise in glucose levels so it's not necessarily a good answer. (this seems to vary between people a bit, I certainly find protein affects my glucose levels)
I don't live in the UK and where I live snacking isn't part of the culture for anyone except children. My doctors are very insistent that 3 regular meals a day and no snacks is more likely to lead to better control. I tend to think that they are right.
It depends though on eating a reasonably sustaining meal at lunchtime. If as many people do you have a small breakfast, not much for lunch then you will be starving before your evening meal.
The advice I was given to make sure that my lunch and dinner are well balanced with enough food from all food groups.
One way of balancing a meal is to divide your plate into quarters. 1/4 of the plate is the protein ie meat/fish, 1/2 the plate veggies or salad, 1/4 plate lower GI starchy carbs , add some dairy ie a plain yoghurt or a small piece of cheese (30-40g is considered a normal portion here) and some fruit. (so you could mix in some berries with your yoghurt) Obviously the size of your plate (ie the amount) will depend on your size and needs.
If you have to eat a sandwich for lunch you can still adapt it by having some salad + the fruit and dairy on top. It's a bit more difficult if you don't eat meat or fish.

You then need to take the right amount of insulin for your meal, obviously too much and you will be hypo later (and need to eat) and too little and your blood glucose will rise.
I've read that you are trying to learn to count carbs , it really is useful (I'd say vitally important) to learn to do this so you can adjust your dose.
I don't know if you've looked at the little booklet on the DUK site or the Bournemouth online course but both could be helpful to you
link to both here:
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-dia ... e-Counter/

carb-counting-mum

Hi Noosrat,

Well done for bringing your levels down this week. I think it really is a case of watching what certain foods do with your levels.

I don't have diabetes, but my little girl has. If she is hungry in between meals and if her sugars are high (2 hours after meal) I will give her protein snacks: cheese, chicken, salami, egg...that sort of thing. This fills her up nicely, without it affecting her blood sugars. I also give her nuts which do have some carbs, but these don't seem to affect her. Or some vegetables (carrot sticks, cucumber, sugar snaps)

I'll give you some idea of what my daughter eats on a typical day.

breakfast: porridge made with semi-skimmed milk and water. To sweeten it: some grated apple and cinnamon, a few raisins (about 10g maximum)

other cereal which she has; oatibix, oatflakes, weetabix. We try to stay away from high sugar ceral like coco pops.
Sometimes she has a cooked breakfast. You can fill up without taking in too many carbs really. Sausage, bacon, egg, mushroom/tomato, a small portion of sugar-reduced baked beans, 1 slice of toast. All that and only 25g carbs or so.

lunch:

1 slice of wholemeal bread/pitta (usually with cheese or ham), some fruit, low-sugar yoghurt, some cheese, some nuts.

Dinner:

baked sweet potato (doesn't make her sugars spike as much as normal baked potato), phillidelphia cheese filling, some salad.
or wholemeal rice/pasta (small portion though) with lots of stir fry vegetables and steak/chicken.

for puddings: Sugar-free jelly or some blueberries/raspberries/strawberries, sometimes a yogurt, small ice lolly.

I hope this gives you some ideas.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
noosrat said:
hi dear i will try it but what protein food u eat? meat, chicken? dont u count the carbs? and can u eat it at any time even between the meals? thanks for answering.

Hi noosrat ... this explains it all ... http://www.dietdoctor.com/LCHF

Personally, I've found eating this way keeps me nourished and satiated and happy.

I very, very rarely feel hungry at all and my brain feels sharper than it has for years. I steer clear of all the obvious carbs like bread, pasta, rice, cakes, sweets, chocolate etc in that I don't buy it REGULARLY. It's not part of my daily diet. However, if I'm attending something and lunch is provided, I'll eat a sandwich rather than go without so I do go off the wagon occasionally but the main thing is they're NOT on my shopping list.

I've been eating this way for 6 months now and am amazed that not only can I refuse sweets and chocolates, I actually do not like them any more, not even the smell of them. Never in a million years would I have expected that. Occasionally I do fancy a cake or a biscuit and I will have it, but it's not a frequent thing and once I've eaten the cake I usually think "Yuk! Didn't really want that." and that's it for another couple of months.

This LCHF diet has really kept me feeling satiated rather than full, it seems to nourish me far more than a carb diet and for a lot longer than if I was eating carbs. I haven't lost a lot of weight :roll: as most people seem to do on it, but I'm happy with the other benefits I'm getting from it.

In my opinion, it's worth a try even if just for 2 weeks because it only took a couple of weeks for me to feel the difference. :thumbup:

meJulie

Hi

I have started low carbing this week, but do crave some carbs, I was wondering when you are testing blood levels before and after meals how should they compare?

noosrat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
:wink: thanks dear i have been in the site and i will try to implement it hope it works for me cos i always hungry and this is frustrating i am as from today trying to fulfill my hunger by drinking a lot of water just to full my belly :sick:

noosrat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
:roll: hi again dear htanks for the moral support really am touched. i dont KNOW WHY my bs in the morning remains so high. 17.1 in the morning today and surprisngly 4.9 at 22 hrs last night. i started to eat a balanced meal like chicken, lentils, carrot salad and wholewheat bread last dinner with a dose of 12 novorapid but i was so down to see the result in the morning. of god! what more to do. i even join an aerobic class session 2 times per week with no result dear! :problem: what to do now; my lantus today i take 34 instead of 30; according to this forum said by someone, i take 17.2(bs in moring)-4.9(bedtime)/3.0 (lantus dose)*10. i then increase my lantus by adding that but it came to 41!!!!! i think that is too much for me so i inrease the lantus dose by 4 to 34. i wonder if its ok?