T1 carb counting

Hilary52

Hi there. I have been type1 for 20 years and realised reading forum that I dont count my carbs In relation to amount of injection it's very confusing reading all the posts on here!!! How much carbs should I have per 1 unit if novo rapid? Is it total carbs as says on packets or do I have to work out more according to fibre and sugars ?

Much appreciated

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

katto

It may not be 1unit for 10g of carb for everyone. You may need more if you have been diagnosed for a while or you may require different ratios at different times of the day. I require far more insulin in the morning than the evening for example.

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
Hilary52 said:
Thanks. Is that the total carb listing on packets e.g. Cereal ? I don't have to take into account sugar and starch on label?

Hi Hilary, yes, it' the total carb amount you use. :)

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's definitely not as simple as 1unit for 10g of CHO!

I used to have to take 2units for every 10g of CHO. Since being on victoza, it went down to 2units for every 15g of CHO and now it's nearer 1 unit for 10g. And your requirements can definitely change throughout the day so the ratio will change.

It's a matter of trial and error and checking your sugar levels to see how it works for you.