any 16-18 year olds out there?

EllieLou

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey
I've recently been diagnosed with type one and have found this forum really helpful.
I just wondered if there are any 16-18 year olds on this as it would be nice to talk to someone nearer my own age :)
Feel free to private message me if you want!
Ellie

Charfills

Hello Ellie,
I am 17 and have been diabetic for 11 years! I've never really spoken to anyone my own age who has diabetes before, so would be interesting to see how you are getting on! Hope your coping okay with all the adjustments :)
Charlotte

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

EllieLou

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey
it's been a bit **** really but I suppose you know all about that! my blood sugars arent what the doctors want yet but they have come down a lot so thats good :)
do you use a pump or inject?
Ellie :D

Charfills

Yeah I'm afraid it is! But that's great your blood sugars are going down. I inject but I have recently emailed the nurses about looking into the pump as my blood sugars have never been very good! What do you have?
Charlotte

EllieLou

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
im on injections, ive been looking in to the pumps but I don't know if they will let me get one as ive not even been diagnosed for a month yet! im a bit worried about it being seen though and about having a pump when on holiday as obviously your constantly by the pool and in and out of water and you can only have the pump disconnected for an hour :S
ive been really confused today as I had an injection with breakfast then I forgot to do one with lunch but my sugars have been alright they were 7.8 a few hours after lunch and then I did it at about 5:30 and it was 5.9 so I dont understand why they were low, surely they would have been too high?!
Ellie x

Charfills

Well if you were interested in getting information about the pump I'm sure the nurses will talk it all through and let you know if you are entitled to having one. But with regards to going on holiday I seem to remember them once saying that you can totally disconnect the pump when on holiday if you decide to and inject instead for a few weeks :)
That's strange that you did go low without insulin! Were you hypo before lunch do you know?
Charlotte :)

EllieLou

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ah thats good then! and I have no idea what my sugars were before lunch but my morning reading was 6.2.
Ellie :) x

Aneela Ahmed

Hiya Ellie and Charlotte,

I was also newly diagnosed about a month back, I would like to talk to you because at the moment, I don't know anyone who is of a similar age and a type 1.

I look forward to talking to you soon. :)

EllieLou

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
how old are you?
how are you finding things?
Ellie x

StevenKnott

Hey guys,

I'm 18! Ive been Diabetic type 1 for 10 years now.
I inject. Ive tried the pump, but I didn't feel it was for me.
Im more than happy to chat, offer advice etc. Feel free to private message me :)

Diabetick

I'm 15 male type 1 diabetic and had diabetes for just under 2 years now I tell people about it and some people don't understand we'll girls mainly
And I'm afraid when I'm talking to a girl that if I tell them bout me having diabetes then they might be Putt off any 14-17 year old girls out there who want to chat ?

[Personal details edited out by Mod.]

Last edited by a moderator:

EllieLou

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
dont worry, if girls dont understand then that's their problem and their loss, I've had diabetes for 2 months now and am still going through some down stages where your alright one minute and feel like a freak the next.
some people dont get it, but personally I wouldnt be bothered even before I was diagnosed, you cant help it, im sure if your a nice enough guy the girls will be fine.
private message me if you want :)
Ellie

BeccaaClayton

Hi guys,
I'm Becca, I'm 16 and I've had diabetes for 4 years this Christmas. I'm on the insulin pump. I know this post is quite old but if anyone wants to chat then I'd love to get to know some other teens with diabetes.

[personal details edited out by Mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

AngelaY

Hey guys. I'm 18. Was diagnosed during my freshmen year in high school. Everything was going well at first, then I started to struggle with diabulimia. Skipping my shoots so I could lose weight. I was hospitalized for a summer then started to realize how dangerous it is. Now I'm back on my shoots, the weight is coming back, I struggle so hard to take my shoots. I try my best to eat an low carb and exercise everyday. I hope I can get support from u guys to keep me going. And hope for some suggestion for losing weight.

RhiannaMorgan

Hey there :)
I'm nearly 17, and was diagnosed in December last year... its been tough, as I'm one of only a few in my college, but I dont know who they are. I set up a Facebook page to meet other diabetics in my area which really helped :) going on the pump next week!