How much do you take?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
willb said:
I take 150units of solarstar each night and 55units of Novorapid flexpen with each meal (3 times a day). I hope this helps.

Hi willb I couldn't help noticing your intake of insulin, am I reading it correctly ,150 at night and about 165 combined for the 3 meals?

Wow, it just goes to show how very different our medication amounts are. I take about 30 for the complete day including the night time dose. Is it working well for you?

Best wishes RRB

dcoppard

JontyW said:
dcoppard said:
Just out of interest I have been taking Lantus for 3 years and Novarapid for 1. It was only a short while ago I realised that 1 unit of insulin is actually 3 units on the pen. Therefore when I inject 60.units of lantus that is only 20 units of insulin.

I just wonder how many people realise this and whether this ever causes any problems. Certainly it was never pointed out to me when I started injecting. :!:

Hi dcoppard,

Please could you clear up the confusion that this statement has caused ... "It was only a short while ago I realised that 1 unit of insulin is actually 3 units on the pen."

Who told you this ... surely not your HCP?

Jonty

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Jonty

Sorry for the delay in replying as I have been away for a few days. I'm also sorry if I am confusing people which was never my intention.

I have been a type 2 for almost 20 years so I hope one day I'll get it right. :grin:

My confusion is that I take Lantus once a day. I dial up 60 units on the pen and as the pen lasts 5 days it holds 300 units in total. Where I got it wrong is that the leaflet seems to indicate that the pen holds 100 units of insulin and therefore I assumed that 1 unit of insulin must be 3 units on the pen.

Rereading it shows my mistake in that what it really says is that there are 100 units of insulin per ml, therefore 300 units in a 3ml pen.

Again my appologies as the last thing I wanted to do was confuse anybody. The sad news for me is that I had convinced myself that I was taking 20 units a day but its really 60. Never mind :mrgreen:

de130770

it used to be your hight in meters ie 1.70m = forget the meter so - 70
so you shuld weigh 70 kg and taking apx 70u of insulin a day
but you also need to take count of excersise and your food intake.

de130770

the insulin is 100u per mill there for there is 300 units in a pen cartrige or 3ml
it was back in the 80's when insulin was i 3 strenths
ie 20u/ml
40u/ml
and 80u/ml
but it is 100u/ml now
ie 1 click on your pen is eather 2u or 1u depends on your pen type
or syringe type

Fireflitzx1

I take 25 units of Lantus at nightime and between 10-25 units of Apidra depending on that amount of carbs in my meal.

I'm 17 and have been diagnosed 11 months now.

JontyW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance & Arrogance.
Bodybuilder type1 said:
I take about 9injections a day for every 12grams of carbs I take 1unit of insulin I take about 12 blood tests a day also

Hi Bodybuilder type1,

I'm sure we are all keen to learn the reasoning for you doing this rather large number of injections .. 9 per day? I would call that about double the normal amount for a T1. Perhaps your UserName of "bodybuilder" is a clue, so I can understand that if you are doing strenuous exercises there would be a need for your 12 blood tests per day, but I really don't understand why you need to do so many injections if you are in GOOD control i.e. not many correction doses required.

Please share with us why you test and particularly inject so often?

I test & inject 4 times per day (x1 Lantus plus x3 Humalog for carbs plus infrequent correction not done with carb Humalog), plus occasional ad hoc tests pre driving etc. If in control why is there any need for anymore?

Jonty

AMBrennan

Maybe he occasionally has snacks (1 apple = 20g carbs)? I believe that eating a lot of snacks is what the various men' health/fitness magazines recommend (fun read if you don't take them too seriously)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
de130770 said:
it used to be your hight in meters ie 1.70m = forget the meter so - 70
so you shuld weigh 70 kg and taking apx 70u of insulin a day
but you also need to take count of excersise and your food intake.

I'm 5ft.2ins ( 1.5748 mt) tall and weight 57 kilos. That amount wouldn't be possible for me :shock: by the sounds of those calculations, I would be seriously ill and constanly in hospital :shock: My average 30 units per day, seems to be working :)

Best wishes RRB

kareeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being so high I can barely open my eyes :(
Hi

I also have a minimum 9 injections per day which can be broken down into 2 x levemir 3 x humalog for meals 1/2 for snacks and correction doses as I run high lots of the time. i'M 35 DX 14 yrs ago and weigh approx 11.10 height 5.9. My results today show a HBA1C of 8.4 which is my highest ever reading (bizarre seeing as I have increased exercise, lost half a stone, cut carbs and have had metformin for two months)

Confused and frustrated, I have been given Apidra to try today in the hope that will stop the highs quicker :crazy:

JontyW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance & Arrogance.
kareeta said:
Hi

I also have a minimum 9 injections per day which can be broken down into 2 x levemir 3 x humalog for meals 1/2 for snacks and correction doses as I run high lots of the time. i'M 35 DX 14 yrs ago and weigh approx 11.10 height 5.9. My results today show a HBA1C of 8.4 which is my highest ever reading (bizarre seeing as I have increased exercise, lost half a stone, cut carbs and have had metformin for two months)

Confused and frustrated, I have been given Apidra to try today in the hope that will stop the highs quicker :crazy:
Hi kareeta,

Do you do carb counting and do you know what is your Insulin:Carb Ratio for each of the 3 main meals? I suspect that you don't, because if you knew all this data it is not that difficult to .. 1) know the carbs of next meal 2) ratio will tell you how much bolus to inject 3) check BG after 4 hours will tell you if that was correct 4) adjust ratio if 3 days readings are not good.

Record ALL data and check the trend and only adjust RATIO if 3 days are showing poor control .. simplies. Change to Apidra (I've tried that also) I suspect will make no difference since QA (quick acting) insulins works all much the same. It is ALL about working to the bolus:carb ratio for each meal. You need to record all this data on a spreadsheet (my method) or smartphone app, to help you know how much bolus for each meal. I've done this, without spreadsheet or smartphone, for 43 years and have been well controlled and NO complications with HbA1c of <7.5% on average.

Hope this helps ...

Jonty

Bodybuilder type1

Sometimes I take more but I don't think I take a lot I think I take the correct amount I take a blood test for every time I eat .I eat every two hours to keep my metabolism burning fast and gaining muscle weight

lynde89

I'm glad I've found this thread! I am currently trying to sort my basal out & then bolus from there (I'm on lantus & humalog). I have been told by diabetic nurses that my insulin intake has been too much & I have to reduce it so have been a bit too scared/worried/embarrassed to increase it, but it is nice to know how much it varies for each person!
I am 5ft4 so about 1.62m & 135lbs or 61kg & am currently on 30 units of Lantus & at the moment am doing about 1.5 humalog to 10g carbs.
I too can also inject & test quite a few times a day, depending on what I'm doing, how I'm feeling & what/when I eat.

gabriele

Hi all,

some years ago I was on Lantus / Novorapid but I put so much weight on, whitin weeks . My BG was normal but It didn't feel right.
I went back to Insulatard / Novorapid . Then I had problems with my BG. It went up and down . I suffered from Retinopathy and my eyes got really bad.
Last year I decided to loose weight . I liked the idea of the Dukan diet but the high intake of protein scared me because of the kidneys. Then I read Diabetics Solution from Dr. R Bernstein and after some reading in the net I found my diet, LCHF.
I feel very good , my insulin came down and my ups and downs have stop now .
I take Insulatard 6 unit in the morning and 6 in the evening , Novorapid 3 units at breakfast and 3 units at dinner. My so far average BG is 5 - 7 mmol/L . I love the diet and the best is I' m not hungry anymore.
I 'm 1.55 m / 55 kg . Per day I eat < 20 g Carbs , 50 g Protein and my Fat is more than 100 g .

I can't wait for my next Bloodtest .
I do this diet now for 7 weeks and my eyedoctor told me 2 weeks ago that the Retinopathy has stopped now .
Please forgive my poor english , I 'm not a native !

best
Gabi

JontyW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance & Arrogance.
dcoppard said:
Just out of interest I have been taking Lantus for 3 years and Novarapid for 1. It was only a short while ago I realised that 1 unit of insulin is actually 3 units on the pen. Therefore when I inject 60.units of lantus that is only 20 units of insulin.

I just wonder how many people realise this and whether this ever causes any problems. Certainly it was never pointed out to me when I started injecting. :!:
I realise that when I replied before, back in Feb, that I mistakenly asked "ewelina" this question since she had just quoted it without any comments.

So this is the question for "dcoppard" to answer please .....

Eh? What are you talking about? I use a Lantus Solostar pen which contains 3mL in total. The strength is 100u/mL so the pen contains 100 x 3 = 300 units. The graduations marked on the pen are from 300 to 0, so if I dial up 60, that is 60 units and NOT 60/3 or whatever you seem to think it is.

Please explain why you think "1 unit of insulin is actually 3 units on the pen"?

Jonty

H

Hooked

JontyW - I believe your recent question has already been answered, see below. :wink:

dcoppard said:
JontyW said:
dcoppard said:

Hi dcoppard,

Please could you clear up the confusion that this statement has caused ... "It was only a short while ago I realised that 1 unit of insulin is actually 3 units on the pen."

Who told you this ... surely not your HCP?

Jonty

Jonty

Sorry for the delay in replying as I have been away for a few days. I'm also sorry if I am confusing people which was never my intention.

I have been a type 2 for almost 20 years so I hope one day I'll get it right. :grin:

My confusion is that I take Lantus once a day. I dial up 60 units on the pen and as the pen lasts 5 days it holds 300 units in total. Where I got it wrong is that the leaflet seems to indicate that the pen holds 100 units of insulin and therefore I assumed that 1 unit of insulin must be 3 units on the pen.

Rereading it shows my mistake in that what it really says is that there are 100 units of insulin per ml, therefore 300 units in a 3ml pen.

Again my appologies as the last thing I wanted to do was confuse anybody. The sad news for me is that I had convinced myself that I was taking 20 units a day but its really 60. Never mind :mrgreen:

jules65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Spirit of Eden said:
For me (I weigh 68kg) and eat about 150g carbs a day

16u Humulin I (Basal) at bedtime
14 -18u of Humalog (Bolus) split between 3-4 meals over the course of the day

:thumbup: Interesting topic. I'm always badgering my HCP's to tell me where i am "in the scheme" of things. In other words how much insulin would i need if the pancreas produced zero insulin. I'll have to ask her next time, but I seem to remember she said for me it would be in the 40's units a day. My total daily dose is about 30u. I guess I am therefore 3 parts injected and 1 part self produced insulin. A higher dosage would be to due to insulin resistance

I weigh 50kg, eat anywhere between 80-100g carb a day, My average TDD is a approx.20- 25 units and I had my pancreas removed, so zero self-producing, we are all so different I don't think there can be a "in the scheme of things" :)