Night time hypo's

Mummyrobinson

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site. Only found it last night. I'm after some advice if that's ok :)

I'm Tracy and my daughter age 11 has been diabetic since she was 3. Obviously I went through all the emotions you all have in the early days and I thought I'd got over it and was coping. I'm married so not alone by any means but lately since her last appointment when her hba1c had risen again to 8.7% and the doctor suggest this may be due to night-time High's I've been worried sick again. I've realised that I tend to feed her up at bedtime after years ago she suffered 2 diabetic seizures during the night after going hypo on separate occasions scared me half to death. Obviously not a nice thing to see. Now my worry is its going to happen again. I've been told to give more levemir and no supper. This is so out of my comfort zone as you can imagine. I've spoke to the nurse who I feel doesn't understand my worry. He says its unlikely to happen again and that she will wake if low but what if she doesn't and fits Or worse still.

She is very thin and small in height for her age. She looks around 8yrs old. Injection sites are limited to her belly at the moment due to lumpy arms and thighs. We are also carb counting on a ratio of 1-15 with 3 novo rapid injections and one levemir a day.

That last appointment was over 2 weeks ago and I've not slept a full night yet. I'm constantly waking and testing her or asking my husband to. Throughout this time I've only given her the recommended levemir around 6 times and out of those she's gone low twice to the 3's. I only know this because I was awake and tested her. My daughter hasn't realised I'm doing this as she doesn't wake and I haven't told her so not to make her anxious too but she does seems very tired by evening so maybe she is suffering from the interrupted sleep. Also I've found I'm crying again every day although I'm not sure if this is down to fatigue or anxiety.

Thank you for reading If you got this far. Any advice would be greatly received.. Thank you.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jayne15

Gosh I am no expert but I really feel for you, I am so sorry you are going through this difficult time. It sounds to me you need to contact the team again and show them your daughters diary and make them listen to your concerns You cannot go on feeling like this it will make you ill. could you not ask about a pump it sounds like your daughter would meet the criteria and this would give you some control back- I am sure other posters will come on with more expert advise thinking of you.

Mummyrobinson

Hi Jayne I've spoke to our DSN several times and I feel he isn't listening to me. I've mentioned a pump a few times but just get told it won't help us I definitely need to be more assertive I know that, I'm a timid person generally. We're going to keep a food diary for a week and contact him again. Thanks for your reply.

jayne15

arm yourself with the nice guidance and go in prepared try not to feel intimated (easier said than done I know I am a nurse and I feel similar when I go to clinic) pumps cost a lot of money I find they are quite selective sometimes on what they offer you ask for their local protocol for the pump every hospital should have one and see for yourself if your daughter meets the criteria, from what I have read HBA1C is a factor and also fear of Hypos is another, basically if this new regime isn't working they need to consider other options-be strong and try and take control there job is to support the whole family, if you are still not satisfied ask for an earlier appointment with the consultant. good luck and let us know how you get on.

Mummyrobinson

Thanks very much Jayne. Its nice to know I'm not over reacting with my concerns. A fear of hypo's seems quite common on here. Wish I'd found you sooner. She's got a Friend sleeping over tonight so going to have to give less levemir as I can't keep waking them both up.

elainechi

its never easy to get bs right especially with growing kids....how about giving her her normal supper and giving an extra unit of levemir ....my daughter will if shes going to hypo at 3 am. so how about testing then for a rew nights.....its difficult doing it on a school week as tired from her broken sleep but difficult in half term as not such a normal routine perhaps...
my friends boy has had a few seizures when hypo at night and he has now a pump ......so keep trying...and an hba1c even in the 8s is still a dream to us.......xxxx

Mummyrobinson

I've been testing since 26th Jan during the night. At the moment she not complaining about no supper it's me whose worried so in a way I'd like to get over the fear and keep with no supper unless she needs it. Last night she was low a bedtime 3.3 and needed supper so she agreed to eat a banana instead of the usual choc biscuit she'd usually go for. It worked well as never went low again My husband said he'd get up to give me a rest last night and it went well. I don't feel tired today and generally happier which makes me believe my mood is down to fatigue mostly. Wish every night day could be the same.

Mummyrobinson

Also can you inject levemir at tea time with the novo rapid and what are the benefits of this. I've heard people do it this way and was just wondering why?

elainechi

i rarely check daughters bm during the night...she doesn.t let me near her...she often hypos at 3 am and raids the fridge after exhausting her dextrose tabs supplies....she doesn.t wake me but looks awful in the motning.... as shes over compensated and hi.....life eh
shes on humilin m3 twice a day so needs to have bm of 15 plus at 9 pm to avoid hypo at night .she refuses any other regime and eats what she wants....teenagers...pure darlings !!!!!!!!!

hkerins

Like you it's a constant worry, my daughter was to diagnosed at 3 and is now 11. No weight on her and her last long term test was 10.1 the highest it has ever been. Not experiencing many hypos at the moment as her bloods are terribly high we can't seem to get them down, levemier been increased to 17 units before bed, I keep waking up in the night panicking that she has dropped! I think it's all trail and error, Aimee has never been stable since being diagnosed! I feel for you all x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App