Coffee raising bg?

blackbird

Does anyone else have a problem with coffee raising their bg? I can't function when I get up until I've had a couple of cups of weak coffee, no sugar, small amount of milk. This morning my bg was 5.7, half an hour later and two cups of coffee later it had risen to 8.9, that's okay as I can correct with insulin when eating my breakfast shortly after, but I'm not happy that maybe I might have to forgo my mid morning and afternoon coffee.

lionrampant

It's been known to happen. In fact I think I recall properly documented cases of it a while back, but I could be wrong.

Don't forego it, just compensate ;)

Rach79

Dislikes
Poverty, violence, manipulative or materialistic people and too much bad weather such as wind and rain.
Hi blackbird - it won't be the actual coffee itself - more the milk in the coffee which has a small amount of carbs. This does this to me also when I have my (very necessary) morning cups of coffee :D

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi Blackbird,
I'm sure its not the milk, at 11.3g carbs per 250ml the amount you are use is not going to have much impact on your BG.

Regards Graham

ChezMorgan

Dislikes
Peppers , Spiders, War and people who think they are better than me, we are all equal !
Try drinking something else just for a couple of days, and see if your results are any different, then you will know if its really the coffee.

OR You could try without milk, or a different brand......any combo you like really, its an easy fix to this problem :)

Nemo

Is it actually the coffee? Bms can rise in the morning anyway. Do you drink coffe at any other time of day and if so, does it always have the same affect?

blackbird

I can't function without coffee when I get up! I haven't thought about testing at any other time of day to see if drinking coffee has the same effect, but I'll try it tomorrow. I did wonder why it should have the effect of raising bg when the carbs are negligible, but even eating a cream cracker with a small amount of cheese raises my bg too. There's a lot to learn about diet and the effect it has on bg. Thanks for your replies.

Rach79

Dislikes
Poverty, violence, manipulative or materialistic people and too much bad weather such as wind and rain.
I found this rather interesting. Below is just one of some studies I've researched online regarding this subject. It appears that caffeine possibly has an effect on insulin resistance thus the insulin doesn't work as well for some reason when caffeine is consumed.

http://www.naturalnews.com/005983.html

Trinkwasser

If you dig around you can find pretty much an equal number of studies claiming coffee improves BG as those which claim the opposite

(he said swilling down another cup before heading out into the garden)

Rach79

Dislikes
It's a weird one. My BG's were again 4.9 this morning but rushed out the door with litte time for breakfast. Had nothing to eat and then one big mug of coffee and my BG was 7.9mmol. I had another near lunch and they were above 9mmol for fasting so although I ate nothing and have been rushing round they raised. I don't know what would happen without the coffee if my BG's would stay the same. I guess one way to find out is to give up the caffeine. Although this would be somewhat difficult :!: :|

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers
Have you tried the Twinings Lemon and Ginger tea? I'm not much of a coffee drinker anyway but I need a bit of extra energy sometimes, and I find it hits the spot first thing when you've got a busy day ahead of you.

Rach79

Dislikes
Ok BG was 13.1mmol this morning. Skipped breakfast but had two cups of coffee. By lunchtime it was 10 mmol (yes high I know but will work it out someday). The coffee actually decreased my BG as opposed to increasing it :?

Rach79

Dislikes
An update... I've cut down on caffeine from nearly 10 cups a day (yes I know it's bad) to one to two cups a day (sometimes 3 if I'm having really bad cravings). So far it hasn't made a blind bit of different to my pants BG levels but hopefully my kidneys may be saved now :!: :)

Will let you know of any future improvment though ... if any.

Rach79

Dislikes
It's now one cup of coffee a day as from today :!: I'm craving caffeine... especially as I don't sleep well at the moment but I'm fighting the urge. At least my kidneys will be thankful LOL!

C

catherinecherub

Hi Rach79.
With the gi diet it is only decaff. Took me a long time to find a brand that actually tastes good. Will p.m. it to you as cannot advertise.
Regards, Catherine.

Rach79

Dislikes
Bubsy Malone said:
Have you tried the Twinings Lemon and Ginger tea? I'm not much of a coffee drinker anyway but I need a bit of extra energy sometimes, and I find it hits the spot first thing when you've got a busy day ahead of you.

I've gone my first half day without caffeine!!! :D I actually feel fine and that I don't need any. Also I've tried the above herbal tea today Busby as we have it in our office and it's fab!

I want to add also that when I had my cup of decaff today my blood sugars didn't rise and stayed 8.4mmol (which is still high for fasting but the best I can do right now). I'm chuffed they didn't rise and hope they stay the same tomorrow also. After that I'm on breakfast again as it was a little trial I was doing to see if it really did make my BG rise.. which for me there is strong evidence to support the fact it does!

Rach

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers
Thats brill rach! Glad my suggestion has been of some use. Let us know how you get on,

Bubsy

Rach79

Dislikes
Well I'm doing alright on the coffee front. It seems my BG's are not too bad either which is just typical because I'm here stuck with a monitor on me for the diabetic clinic to find out what's wrong and my BG's have been better than ever Grrr!!

I did have only one hypo last night which is great in the respect I don't want to have a few hypos or any but not great in the respect that the diabetic clinic will think I was making stuff up. Aah well if it is the case my BG's are great then I'll just have to wear the monitor again sometime.

Anyway I admit I had two cups of coffee yesterday (hangs head in shame) but my work had told me off about something and I felt your typical Friday tiredness so I thought "What can cheer me up right now?" and coffee and chocolate were the words screaming back at me and that's precisely what I had. :lol: