meters

jd67

I am not complaining but just a question why those on insulan are able to apply for free meters while those who are Type2 are not ableto.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I believe it's mainly because of the risk of hypo's. However, some type 2's are on meds which can produce hypo's including insulin. It seems to be a bit of a healthcare lottery as many type 2's are prescribed monitors and strips.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a type 2 and when I was on just Metformin and diet I was not prescribed a meter. However I progressed and was eventually prescribed Glimepiride and the leaflet in the box says.

"During Glimepiride treatment regular monitoring of your blood sugar level is necessary"

This is because the drug helps to lower your sugar level and you have to guard against the possibility that it will bring on a hypo. I remember that somewhere else I read that it is a requirement that you do a blood test before driving.

I can't see how it would be possible to prescribe Glimepiride without issuing you with a meter.

Emmerdale

Good Morning, Just contact the meter suppliers and most will GIVE you a meter ,the money is made thru the strips,but there is plenty of info on here about cheapest meters and cost of strips if these are important . :thumbup:

peecee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Insulin users will need to test far more often than non insulin users and therefore will use more test strips. As the meter companies make loads of money on their test strips they will gladly give their meters away for free, knowing you will be using 4-8 strips or maybe more every day!!

nissan

HY EVERY ONE

IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE THAT HAS A CONTOUR NEXT METER, IF SO I WOULD VERY MUCH LIKE TO TALK WITH YOU.
I HAVE SUCH A METER BUT CAN NOT GET IT TO SET UP PROBERLY.
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
nissan said:
HY EVERY ONE

IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE THAT HAS A CONTOUR NEXT METER, IF SO I WOULD VERY MUCH LIKE TO TALK WITH YOU.
I HAVE SUCH A METER BUT CAN NOT GET IT TO SET UP PROBERLY.
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

Yes, I have one, what problem do you have with the meter?