Can I eat snickers with diabetes?

GrumpyOlGit

Hello, depends who you tell, don't eat too many and remember to hide the papers from whoever checks up on you... that's what I do, 1/2 Snickers/night cut into four, wonderful, delicious slices... after 'She Who Must Be Obeyed' goes to bed then clean up the chocolate crumbs and bin the wrapper... not too much though, watch those glukes :silent:

Tron2112

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm newly diagnosed type 2. Yesterday I tested myself before and after a snickers to see what effect it has on my Blood glucose. My results satisfied me that it's a food I can have occasionally. Your results will be different from mine. Just test yourself before and after to make an informed decision as to whether your blood glucose is within the safe range after eating it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

peecee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
You can eat as many Snickers as you like..........as long as you don't swallow :wink: :wink: :wink:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not something I would want to eat on a regular bases but as an occasional treat it would be fine if your injecting insulin, most people who like something sweet such as a desert find that eating one after their evening meal reduces the postprandial spikes, if the person is injecting insulin then they need to incorporate the chocolate bar into their insulin dosage for that meal.

Phoebe13

I do love a Snickers, so I have them in the house and in my sports bags - usually reserved for when I am having a hypo (or have had a bad day at work!)

That way I get to eat them every now and again, so I don't feel like I am depriving myself of my favourite chocolate bar, but I wouldn't eat one every day!

Sameer

Again how can you eat a sweet chocolate in daibetes ???

Newly diagnosed taking insulin novomix 30 , 21units in morning and 17 units at night , have issues in late night snack very lazy always get high sugar in morning from 130 to 140

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sameer said:

I treat chocolate like any other food. If I want to eat chocolate I keep the quantity down so that my meter is fine at the two hour mark. You'd be surprised at the things you can eat (and drink)

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sameer said:

Technically, if you're T1 and counting carbs you can eat anything you want to eat, sugar or no sugar. You just take the correct amount of insulin for the amount of carbohydrate. Obviously it's not healthy to eat loads of sugary foods but having diabetes doesn't mean you CAN'T eat them! Moderation is the key!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
People, it's only a snickers bar ! 1 won't kill anyone ! Don't let diabetes ruin and control your whole life. Sensible and healthy eating is key but treats are allowed. As previous posters have said, everything in moderation and adjust insulin if necessary.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: lcarter

Sameer

I don't know I have not eaten any chocolates 3 months now and also the soft drinks I am just scared to get sick more

Newly diagnosed taking insulin novomix 30 , 21units in morning and 17 units at night , have issues in late night snack very lazy always get high sugar in morning from 130 to 140

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Gaffer type 1 you can eat chocolate but will have to bolus for it, possibly a split dose depending on type of choc.

Legionnaire

Just wanted to chime in on this thread since Ive recently discovered that in my case I can eat an entire large Snickers and a sugar free Red Bull and my blood glucose will actually do DOWN! Didnt believe it the first time so I ran 3 more controlled trials and same thing every time. At no point did my glucose level ever spike either. Strangest thing Ive ever seen!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wanted to chime in on this thread since Ive recently discovered that in my case I can eat an entire large Snickers and a sugar free Red Bull and my blood glucose will actually do DOWN! Didnt believe it the first time so I ran 3 more controlled trials and same thing every time. At no point did my glucose level ever spike either. Strangest thing Ive ever seen!

Hi there Legionnaire - How are you measuring your blood glucose? Are you using finger prick test or something like a Freestyle Libre?

There are many many combinations impacting movements in blood glucose, and whilst what we eat and drink (especially for those living with Type 2) is a key element in that puzzle, so are many other factors.

Could you describe how you ran your experiments, what time of the day it was, and what else, if anything, you did around it? I'm thinking sleep, exercise, manual work, like gardening, sitting at a desk, just as examples?

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As a type 2 I’m not even going to try a snickers. I eat enough stuff with sweetener that don’t effect my levels. My plan is to wean off the sweet stuff completely once my work becomes less stressful.

I agree with @DCUKMod that there are many factors so you need to be aware of what may have contribute to the result I suggest that those would also include your levels before and for at least 3 hours after. The physical activity is also a factor.

I don’t like snickers enough to take the risk.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a type 2 I’m not even going to try a snickers. I eat enough stuff with sweetener that don’t effect my levels. My plan is to wean off the sweet stuff completely once my work becomes less stressful.

I agree with @DCUKMod that there are many factors so you need to be aware of what may have contribute to the result I suggest that those would also include your levels before and for at least 3 hours after. The physical activity is also a factor.

I don’t like snickers enough to take the risk.

Don't worry, it's not compulsory! Anyway they will always be known as Marathons to me and at the risk of sounding ancient, they taste nothing like they used to anyway. x

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the taurine in the Red Bull may have had something to do with the lower than expected BGs. Not sure that's a good reason to drink Red Bull though (speaking for myself only)

Reactions: Oldvatr