"Newcastle" Diet

FrancesB

Thanks, Finzi :) I have been really buoyed up by the weight loss.

Since I've only been doing this diet 3 days, I think the weight loss is more likely due to cutting out carbs last week. Hopefully, it will continue.

Last night, I had my first moment of feeling that I was "giving up" something. I felt like I was looking forward to something, and then realised that eating tea is not really an event anymore (given that it was homemade tomato soup). It passed.

Yesterday, I also made half of my shake with water, and it occurred to me that the protein content listed includes the protein in the milk, so now I am wondering how to go about getting adequate protein to encourage fat loss rather than muscle, without breaking the calorie threshold. I'll do some research on this in a bit.

I should also say my GP has advised me to continue on 500mg of Metformin, but not to increase the dose yet until the effect of the regime can be determined. I had stopped taking them at all for a couple of days before seeing him as I didn't want to endanger myself, but he says the metformin can't make my BG too low, so that's a relief.

Frances x

FrancesB

Ughh... went back to bed for a bit as my energy levels have fallen back to depressed levels. Someone shoved a leaflet through the door, and my dogs jumped off the bed and started barking. I wished they wouldn't so I could go back to my dream, and I never want to go back to my dreams... but this one was about food.

Steak and ale pie, and mashed potato with gravy... Feel guilty even though I've only dreamt it.

Desperately need to go to the shop for something other than food, but I daren't yet. My brain is trying to trick me with the dream and the imaginary guilt into a "what the hell" moment.

*sighs*

It can be done.

Frances x

Reactions: 2 people

FrancesB

After some thought about protein, today for breakfast I had half a can of John West Mackerel Fillets in natural water without brine. Later, for tea, I'll have more of the soup I made the other night.

BG reading: 9.7

Frances x

youngmanfrank

I sometimes hesitate before posting here,but I would like to offer support and advice based on my experiences.

I did the Newcastle Diet in 2011,finishing in early November.Prior to the diet I was a full blown type 2 with fasting bloods averaging in the mid 7's and an HbA1c to match.Weight had declined from 16.5 stones to 13.5 stones but was going back the other way and when I started I was nearly 14 stone even on 3xMetformin per day.

On completion of the diet I weighed 12 stone,which I still am today.HbA1c since then have been 38,39 and then stabilized at 40.I am off all pills and and special foods/diets,I just try to consume about 2000 calories a day to balance energy in with energy out.Fasting bloods vary normally between 5.2 and 5.6 ie mid 5's.

In my opinion (as someone who has actually completed the diet) you must follow the Slimfast/Optislim/Optifast route as attempts to make up your own diet diverge from the original experiment.To this you can add the recommended salad type vegetables as per original Newcastle suggestions.My twist on the diet is to combine it with exercise.This prevents the body "shutting down" and wasting muscle and lowering the rate of metabolic activity to conserve fat,which is normally the argument against starvation diets.

At the moment I have been described (by a consultant) as being "in remission".My diabetic nurse,in whom I have great faith,simply said after my recent annual review that possibly I would always have a tendency towards diabetes but if I continue with my current lifestyle of avoiding excess food consumption and exercising daily she sees no reason why I cannot maintain natural control over my blood sugars.

I hope this gives you some encouragement that the effort you are making does have some chance of succeeding in at least some cases.

Reactions: 4 people

DaveNN

Re: "Newcastle" Diet

FrancesB said:
Update:

So I had a late breakfast, and have been drinking plenty of water.

Off topic, I recently bought some silicon egg poaching things, and they are rubbish! I had to scrape my egg out, and it ended up a combination of rubbery and snotty. Next time I'll poach the old-fashioned way!

My BG reading for the day is: 11.8.

Onward!

Frances x

Try lining the egg poaching thing with a little butter before you pop the egg in....

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

DaveNN

youngmanfrank said:
I sometimes hesitate before posting here,but I would like to offer support and advice based on my experiences.

I did the Newcastle Diet in 2011,finishing in early November.Prior to the diet I was a full blown type 2 with fasting bloods averaging in the mid 7's and an HbA1c to match.Weight had declined from 16.5 stones to 13.5 stones but was going back the other way and when I started I was nearly 14 stone even on 3xMetformin per day.

On completion of the diet I weighed 12 stone,which I still am today.HbA1c since then have been 38,39 and then stabilized at 40.I am off all pills and and special foods/diets,I just try to consume about 2000 calories a day to balance energy in with energy out.Fasting bloods vary normally between 5.2 and 5.6 ie mid 5's.

In my opinion (as someone who has actually completed the diet) you must follow the Slimfast/Optislim/Optifast route as attempts to make up your own diet diverge from the original experiment.To this you can add the recommended salad type vegetables as per original Newcastle suggestions.My twist on the diet is to combine it with exercise.This prevents the body "shutting down" and wasting muscle and lowering the rate of metabolic activity to conserve fat,which is normally the argument against starvation diets.

At the moment I have been described (by a consultant) as being "in remission".My diabetic nurse,in whom I have great faith,simply said after my recent annual review that possibly I would always have a tendency towards diabetes but if I continue with my current lifestyle of avoiding excess food consumption and exercising daily she sees no reason why I cannot maintain natural control over my blood sugars.

I hope this gives you some encouragement that the effort you are making does have some chance of succeeding in at least some cases.

That is extremely encouraging and of great interest.
I'm doing something similar ( though i have slipped off the chocolate wagon, so I'm starting again), with a calorie input of around 6 to 800 a day.
I know one and of another who have gone through the mill when using shakes to lose weight, buggering themselves up in the man time.
BUT... If things don't improve further over the next few months I may well give it a go.

FrancesB

Morning all :)

youngmanfrank: Thank you so much for the encouragement and for sharing your experience. In the days to come I'll be looking back at your post here time and again, and it'll help me ignore the temptation to cheat on myself.

Although I added the fish yesterday, I am keeping within 600 cals per day (including the shakes as they're 230 each). Also, very penniless this first week, so I'm limited to what's in my fridge and cupboards. I'll move on to the fresh veg once I have some money.

Real exercise is a difficulty too right now. I take my dogs out every day, but I have a meniscal tear in my knee which is slowly healing (and I mean slowly). Yes... I am very unlucky. My doctor and I established that years ago ;) Hopefully, next week I'll be able to go swimming regularly, which will probably help.

I'm not too concerned about my BG readings atm, given that a couple of weeks ago, they were hitting 14 - 17 fasting. I think it's an amazing improvement to be in single figures after eating, and I intend to give it at least three weeks before I worry if they haven't dropped to normal levels. My doctor will have input here, I'm sure.

Oh, and DaveNN: I'm such an idiot! Thanks for the tip, although I won't be eating eggs very often anyway (they're nearly 100 cals each!). Good luck with your diet. It's very challenging to stay within the calorie limit, shakes or not. If you ever feel like falling off the wagon again, don't hesitate to lean on me/this board first :)

Peter, thank you for the offer - I've sent you a pm.

Ok... onward with day six.

That's all folks!

Frances x

youngmanfrank

Thats uncanny,some time ago I also tore the cartilage in the middle of the knee.In the end I had to give in and have a knee arthroscopy to relieve the pain.It took months to heal but what did it for me finally was the swimming I was doing while on the Newcastle diet.This really helped me ( I was doing 30 lengths five times a week as part of my exercise) and by the end all pain had gone.

There is light at the end of the tunnel.

DaveNN

FrancesB said:
Morning all :)

youngmanfrank: Thank you so much for the encouragement and for sharing your experience. In the days to come I'll be looking back at your post here time and again, and it'll help me ignore the temptation to cheat on myself.

Although I added the fish yesterday, I am keeping within 600 cals per day (including the shakes as they're 230 each). Also, very penniless this first week, so I'm limited to what's in my fridge and cupboards. I'll move on to the fresh veg once I have some money.

Real exercise is a difficulty too right now. I take my dogs out every day, but I have a meniscal tear in my knee which is slowly healing (and I mean slowly). Yes... I am very unlucky. My doctor and I established that years ago ;) Hopefully, next week I'll be able to go swimming regularly, which will probably help.

I'm not too concerned about my BG readings atm, given that a couple of weeks ago, they were hitting 14 - 17 fasting. I think it's an amazing improvement to be in single figures after eating, and I intend to give it at least three weeks before I worry if they haven't dropped to normal levels. My doctor will have input here, I'm sure.

Oh, and DaveNN: I'm such an idiot! Thanks for the tip, although I won't be eating eggs very often anyway (they're nearly 100 cals each!). Good luck with your diet. It's very challenging to stay within the calorie limit, shakes or not. If you ever feel like falling off the wagon again, don't hesitate to lean on me/this board first :)

Peter, thank you for the offer - I've sent you a pm.

Ok... onward with day six.

That's all folks!

Frances x

You are most kind, though I did fall off again....but spent some time on the weights to compensate.
I have cack will power and new **** well that I would do this.....

FrancesB

youngmanfrank: That is a weird coincidence! I'm glad your knee finally got better. I'm not sure I can manage 30 lengths (I'm not that strong a swimmer), but I can definitely put the effort in. The embarrassment of turning up in a swimming costume will just have to be borne. *gulps*

Dave: I think the wagon you keep getting on needs seatbelts :lol:

Ok, so today I had two shakes, loads of salad leaves (spinach, rocket, watercress etc) and a few little cherry tomatoes.

My BG for the day is: 8.3 :!:

That's my lowest reading so far! Woohoo! Party! *without the party food or alcohol, obviously, but I am accepting balloons and those cute little party favours you get on table that blow bubbles*

So, um, yes.. quite happy here. Well, except that since seeing my gp I've gone back onto taking one metformin a day, and it's making me suffer some truly horrible (and painful) IBS symptoms... Eurgh...

Frances x

Finzi

Frances, is it the slow release Metformin? Apparently that's better (I've been lucky, I've never had any trouble with it, except remembering to take it, which I'm rubbish at!)

Congratulations on your latest blood glucose - fantastic!

FrancesB

hi Finzi, and thanks for the congrats... I'm well chuffed.

I think it's just ordinary metformin looking at the box. I'm only on 500mg/day while I'm doing this diet to see what happens (gp's advice). I'm not sure what the alternatives are, but we might have to look into them if the pain doesn't ease off.

Remembering medication is a pain. I'm on other stuff as well. I've got organisers, a watch that beeps when it's time for one tablet or another.... and yet, the only thing that really works for me is to leave bits of meds everywhere important. On the computer desk, next to the remote control, on the bedside table. Eventually, it enters my head to take one.

Frances x

NICKY1966

I went on a simular diet to this 18 months ago.600 calories. Just low fat yogurts for 8 weeks. I managed to lose 3 stone ,. I have now lost 6 1/2 by eating properly but much less , low fat low sugar. It is brilliant instead of having 5 injection a day i now have 2 and my blood sugar is really good. The insulin has gone from 60 and 50 in the morning to 10. and 90 at night to 18. I can't thank my diabetic doctor enough.

DaveNN

NICKY1966 said:
I went on a simular diet to this 18 months ago.600 calories. Just low fat yogurts for 8 weeks. I managed to lose 3 stone ,. I have now lost 6 1/2 by eating properly but much less , low fat low sugar. It is brilliant instead of having 5 injection a day i now have 2 and my blood sugar is really good. The insulin has gone from 60 and 50 in the morning to 10. and 90 at night to 18. I can't thank my diabetic doctor enough.

Fair play!

FrancesB

Nicky, that's an awesome achievement! You must be amazingly determined and strong-willed *applauds*

I hope that you'll carry on going from strength to strength.

So, today I had a shake and made a vegetable curry, which was lovely!

My BG is back up to 10.1 today, but I have an idea that's my own fault as I allowed myself to get a bit dehydrated yesterday when I got completely lost in my writing. Plus, the side effects of the metformin don't help in that dept. As I suspected a few posts ago, drinking enough water is much more of a challenge to me than sticking to the calorie restriction.

Well.. that's today. Roll on tomorrow! I believe I've lost half a stone or so this week, but I'll find out for certain tomorrow.

Frances x

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I've been following a diet of cutting out processed foods.
Upped my fruit and veg intake and watch the calories, avoiding trans fats and monosodium glutamate.
I drink filtered ( therefore dechlorinated) water and green tea.
I take a multivitamin and flaxseed.
My average blood sugar (type 2, no metformin or statins) is 7.
I'm inspired to get it lower. My total cholesterol is 4.7 , but my triglycerides are currently too high at 2.3.
Work to be done,.
I'm guinea pigging myself with a new natural treatment and for diabetes and will see if that helps .

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

FrancesB

It's a miracle!!!

Ok, the first bit of good news is that I have lost 7.5 pounds this week... yay!

The other is that my lowest ever BG is now.... 7.2!

If only I hadn't let myself get so dehydrated yesterday, I bet that would be lower. In fact, it would be normal. It's incredible. Down from 19.2 two weeks ago.

I just can't believe it.

I am so celebrating with a salad.

I'm just soooo happy! :D

Frances x