Neuropathic Pain

ElleDee

Type of diabetes
LADA
Dislikes
Having diabetes :-(
Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone could advise on neuropathic pain, peripheral and focal. I have recently been prescribed gabapentin for this, any experience of this working or are there better options?

Thanks, Elle

cs41

Dislikes
DIABETES!!!
Hi ElleDee,

I also suffer badly from neuropathy with my feet. I was also prescribed Gabapentin and it worked for a while but then I had to have it supplemented with duloxetine which made a massive difference to me. I started on some drugs that were used for teating epilepsy but I reacted badly to these.

Kind regards
CS

eileen1951

ElleDee said:
Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone could advise on neuropathic pain, peripheral and focal. I have recently been prescribed gabapentin for this, any experience of this working or are there better options?

Thanks, Elle
Hi Elle
i was on gabapentin an tramodol for a while as i suffer badley with pains in my feet,they were ok for a while then stopped working,you could take up to 9 a day but they made me sleepy so could only take 5 a day i had to stop them, i going back to docs to see if there is anything else to help me.I now on LYRICA an tramodol these have stopped helping me also,i also take ampitripilene.Dont know about you but i dont get a good nights sleep.

glenmoray

I have had neuropathic pain for some years now.I have been prescribed Amitriptyline 100mgs and it is taking the pain off slightly.I was getting severe pain in my feet and lower legs.it felt like someone was using a stanley knife up and down my lower legs of rubbing course sand paper over my legs.Even at rest they ached and started to keep me awake at night. My suggestion to you is if the drug does not seem to be working for you get your doctor to try another drug on you until you find one that eases the pain so you can get on with your life as best as possible.

ElleDee

Type of diabetes
LADA
Dislikes
Hi thanks for your replies. sadly the pains are getting worse and I now appear to have them in my back and neck too. I am now taking pregabalin, I also have taramasalata and dihydracodeine but to be fair these do nothing other than make me sick and woozy, not good while I still try to get to work whilst in immense pain :-(. The pain is relentless, even my beloved hot baths do nothing . . . . . . I struggle to sleep at the best of times but must admit that I'm almost becoming an insomniac these days, this itself is never good but coupled with the pain which never leaves is becoming unbearable. And through all of this I still have to force myself to get up and get ready to go to work everyday . . . . . It's not an easy struggle lol

WhitbyJet

ElleDee said:
Hi all,

Thanks, Elle

I used to suffer from horrendous neuropathic pain, legs, hands and my back were affected, I was prescribed a whole range of medications and nothing ever worked, that was in the bad old days of poorly controlled diabetes.

Now over 5 years later its a different story, tight control of bg to non-diabetic levels and ALA worked for me, not overnight, it was gradual recovery for me. A word of caution, if you are on insulin therapy you may find that ALA can cause hypos, you would need to reduce your insulin dose.
As always do discuss with your medical team before taking any remedy, over the counter or not.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All.
Like eileen1951 I use lyrica [pregablin] and only use/take a tramadol when the
pain 'keeps' me awake at night-time!
Am under a fabulous podiatry team they see me every 4 weeks and are
keeping a close eye on my feet.
Any sign of anything they see me every 2 weekly.
Have found 2 fabulous podiatrists who do ALL they can to help me.
Footcare is vital - as well as the meds/drugs to combat the pain levels.
I encourage all to 'check' that you are seen by the diabetic podiatry/footcare team
As WHEN the weather goes colder like it is now, I 'do' find it goes much worse!
Last time I saw the podiatrist she made me some thermal insoles for inside my footwear.
To help keep the heat trapped inside shoes and seals around my feet keeping them warm.
I do find lyrica affects my memory as it is used for epileptics its a neuro blocker - stops
pain signals reaching my brain as it stops brain signals to trigger a fit with epileptics.
Only trouble is - it blocks things I want to file away in my memory :roll:
So I may be painfree but found I could'nt remember things like I used to ...
We reduced the dosage as I wasnt happy being so forgetful.
Only take 50mg of this now plus co-codamol during the day.
If I am kept awake with severe pain then I will take a tramadol.
So I can then get a bit of restful sleep more successfully.
Hope this helps?
Anna.

ElleDee

Type of diabetes
LADA
Dislikes
It's scary just how many of the medications that we get from doctors which just don't work . . . . . To be fair right now I am willing to try anything.

PS The taramasalata in my last post should have read tramadol lol. Dang predictive text xx

ElleDee

Type of diabetes
LADA
Dislikes
Sorry, posted a bit early there ;-(

I must admit that I haven't found pregabalin any better than gabapentin, although I have been asked to give it another 2 weeks.

I had noticed a bit of brain fog but to be fair, I have had that for a while now as the pain seems to help create that too :-(

I feel kind of lost as to what to do, what to try etc. I sadly do not have a good podiatry team, in fact I found out more myself online than they have ever told me. I am due another appointment, I actually think that may be overdue but then again they don't really do anything of any use. Probably a stupid question but what SHOULD I expect of my podiatrist and my appointments with them?

Nberri

I use Lyrica and it has been a life saver, still get pain in feet but its manageable. The pain in my head has almost gone just get the odd bad day here and there.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ElleDee said:
PS The taramasalata in my last post should have read tramadol lol. Dang predictive text xx

Have to say, did wonder when I first saw your post what help a Greek fish-roe dip could possibly be for neuropathic pain, but thought it would be smart-a**ey to ask, LOL :lol:

duranie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Winter!
Pregabalin sent me mad. I now take MST, gabapentin and tramadol for breakthrough pain..

ftt1960

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not a lot
I was diagnosed a year ago despite always having good diabetic control. I have been type 2 for 30 years. I was initially prescribed Amitryptiline but struggled with tiredness. I was then put on to Duloxetine, which helped me cope with working. In August I was also prescribed Gabapentn. Things are now pretty good. I have low dose Cocodamol for the more painful times but rather have to take them. I'm trying Alpha Lipoic Acid and am also going to start taking Methylcobalamine. I would rather take supplements than prescribed medicines if I can. I'm hoping I can wean myself off the meds. I also suffer from osteoarthritis but can't take anything for it. Supplementing with Turmeric seems to be helping.

teddy2702

Hi I'm new to the forum. I've been a diabetic for 45 years im 50 now. Ive had painful neuropathy in my legs for 13 years and I've tried loads of medication and creams without any success the only thing that keeps the pain under control is MST twice a day, morning and night. Its great to be pain free. Hope this helps somebody.

emmaw_13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
spiders, ants, wasps, ignorant people, people with no manners.
Hi I was diagnosed with neuropathy in my feet 3 years ago I started getting pain in my left thigh, hip and knee and diagnosed proximal neuropathy which is apparently rare in my age I'm 26. What I've read sounds like pain management for the rest of my life I don't want to end up in a wheel chair but can't find any help or information about us.

Reactions: Siddhantkhankal

ElleDee

Type of diabetes
LADA
Dislikes
emmaw_13 said:
Hi I was diagnosed with neuropathy in my feet 3 years ago I started getting pain in my left thigh, hip and knee and diagnosed proximal neuropathy which is apparently rare in my age I'm 26. What I've read sounds like pain management for the rest of my life I don't want to end up in a wheel chair but can't find any help or information about us.

Hi Emma,

Well I am STILL struggling to get my pain under control and apart from my endocrine clinic I also attend a pain management clinic.

We have discussed everything from epidurals to quacky out there meds LOL

However, I am still taking gabapentin on the max dose, I also take duloxetine, dosulepin and dihydracodeine. None of these seem to be doing anything other than taking the edge off. I have focal, peripheral and autonomic neuropathy. Like you I am only just in my 30s and have had this for a long time now :-(

Sarahfergo

Having neuropathy should I be entitled to see a podiatry? My doc Told me to go and buy Insoles and put me on gabapentin he didn't tell me how much to take or when or how long for or Infact anything! He is **** he is a diabetic doctor at my surgery and doesn't know anything about the pump. It is on the box what to do tho but he should have talked to me about it side effects etc

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Westie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sarah
There are a number of guidelines available in the Internet and NICE are revising their existing guidance which should be published later this year. You can also contact your local Pharmacist and ask for a Medicines Use Review for your Gabapentin, they should then be able to help you, especially if you give advance notice.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App