Status
Not open for further replies.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: Is there anybody out there that is happy to have diabete

No, no and no. Not ever. Not for one single minute. I have had diabetes for 27 years and in that time I have swung between denial and acceptance many, many times. I still hate it. I get on with things because I have to. I have at this point formed an uneasy alliance with diabetes and I believe that is the best it will get. The constant thinking about carbs and blood glucose levels and basal and bolus and hypos and complications and injections and testing and doctors and nurses and constantly defending myself if my control slips. It is mentally, physically and emotionally exhausting. I was 12 when I was diagnosed and do not remember what life felt like before diabetes. I truly envy non diabetics and feel like shouting from the rooftops to people to please eat well and exercise. No one wants diabetes. I am thrilled for this guy that he is happy with diabetes and for all those others who are too. But in my wildest imagination I cannot picture being happy with it. I remember when I was diagnosed nearly everyone said the same thing - it could be worse, it could have been cancer. What!!! Of course cancer is worse, a lot worse. But it doesn't make you feel any better about things.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity

Bodybuilder type1 said:
I know how to describe how one might love diabetes it could be like Stockholm syndrome
Like you have been taken over my someone/something agents your will but you still manage to gain attachment to that thing/person
Humans must adapt to our surroundings it's a coping mechanism ! Either join them or fight them ? No ?

For me, even though I didn't and still don't WANT to have diabetes, being diagnosed was the best thing that happened health wise in over 20 years. It answered a lot of questions, it solved a lot of issues and it finally allowed me to do something about the myriad of disabling symptoms that I'd been diagnosed with separately, that were really spoiling my quality of life. So, I definitely feel an element of Stockholm Syndrome where my diabetes is concerned. It was like a masked marauder that had held me hostage for two decades and when the mask was off I just felt "Oh! It's you is it? Might as well learn to get along with you."

I wouldn't say I'm attached to it, wouldn't mind if I never saw it again. I'm not it's friend and I haven't fallen in love with it, but it's there and I can see it and so I've had to accept it and get along with it. Yep, survival.

Sunhat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I am happy to know I have diabetis, not happy to have it though. I count myself llucky as I knew for about 5 years that I had IGT whereas my dad and brother both ignored the symptoms, dad died at 69 with gangrene in both feet (he was a heavy smoker, refused to give up after diagnosis) and my brother died at 61, he too ignored the symptoms and had a leg amputated ( he did not go to the diabetic clinic). He was totally blind and had end stage renal failure. So yes I am happy to know, but not happy to have it, especially at Easter time!

Ebba

I consider myself a healthy human being but just as Peter was saying, as a diabetic you will never be as healthy as one withouth it. Sure you as well can be healthier than someone that hasn't have diabetes. BUT if you compere two people with healthy lifestyles and one them have diabetes, who do you think would be considered healthier?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Thundercat said:
No, no and no. Not ever. Not for one single minute. I have had diabetes for 27 years and in that time I have swung between denial and acceptance many, many times. I still hate it. I get on with things because I have to. I have at this point formed an uneasy alliance with diabetes and I believe that is the best it will get. The constant thinking about carbs and blood glucose levels and basal and bolus and hypos and complications and injections and testing and doctors and nurses and constantly defending myself if my control slips. It is mentally, physically and emotionally exhausting. I was 12 when I was diagnosed and do not remember what life felt like before diabetes. I truly envy non diabetics and feel like shouting from the rooftops to people to please eat well and exercise. No one wants diabetes. I am thrilled for this guy that he is happy with diabetes and for all those others who are too. But in my wildest imagination I cannot picture being happy with it. I remember when I was diagnosed nearly everyone said the same thing - it could be worse, it could have been cancer. What!!! Of course cancer is worse, a lot worse. But it doesn't make you feel any better about things.

I know exactly where your coming from, I wish I didn't have it ( oh dear,there I go waving a magic wand :wink:) i have always just got on with it,even when diagnosed and in hospital, but that's what you do, Its part of you and its part of life. There are jobs we are not happy with, but we still put up with them, like relatives, companies and/or some people :roll:
It's just part of everydays ups and downs, but I must admit, I do prefer the up's (like good BS readings all day :D or being told by your consultant that eye laser treatment is not being done at your appointment :thumbup: )
The downs, having more and more auto-immune medical conditions, asscociated with Diabetes :thumbdown:

No one knows whats around that corner :?:

Take care and I hope you have a good trouble free diabetes weekend :thumbup:

Best wishes RRB

Bodybuilder type1

Ebba said:
I consider myself a healthy human being but just as Peter was saying, as a diabetic you will never be as healthy as one withouth it. Sure you as well can be healthier than someone that hasn't have diabetes. BUT if you compere two people with healthy lifestyles and one them have diabetes, who do you think would be considered healthier?

I must admit you make a valid point I suppose they would be considered healthier in retrospect to them having to monitor sugar levels and food and exercise but I still believe that you can be healthy

Bodybuilder type1

Ok I don't have a clue how much insulin people take and how many blood tests is "normal" but maybe you don't do enough
for eg from Monday to Thursday I will take around 12 blood tests a day and take 9 injections. today is Friday I know I will be going out tonight and I know I will probably take as much as 12injections and 20 blood tests at least today.

So what is the average amount that people take ?

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!

That seems an awful lot of injections in a day! I only have 4 and only test my blood 4 times a day.

Elrevdh

Dislikes
dont lie and dont sweet talk me. say it like it is.

Hey there, I am new to this forum and I must say for a first discussion, this is the wierdest thing ever!

I was diagnosed at 10 months. I am 27 now (turning 28) and I can in all honesty say I hate being a diabetic. I eat whatever I want, I have uncontrolled blood sugar levels and feel terrible most of the time.

Now, people say " nah it cant be that bad, you grew up with it". What a bunch of nonsense!

I envy you. I wish I had your dicipline and attitude. I hope as well that you can say the same in 30 years time.

Bodybuilder type1

Elrevdh said:
Hey there, I am new to this forum and I must say for a first discussion, this is the wierdest thing ever!

I was diagnosed at 10 months. I am 27 now (turning 28) and I can in all honesty say I hate being a diabetic. I eat whatever I want, I have uncontrolled blood sugar levels and feel terrible most of the time.

Now, people say " nah it cant be that bad, you grew up with it". What a bunch of nonsense!

I envy you. I wish I had your dicipline and attitude. I hope as well that you can say the same in 30 years time.

So what exactly is stopping you from achieving your goals I presume you are type1 which means you can eat whatever you want when you want, don't you ?

kjw123

Bodybuilder type1 said:
Here is a fact for you all, diabetics can be more healthy than people without diabetes that is just a fact I was thinking about this today and maybe it might be a bit harder for women because they can't grow as much muscle as men. growing muscle especially for men with diabetes will greatly improve your well being .muscle will soak up sugar in your blood much like a filter more muscle equals better bloods and you can gain more muscle easier because you can use insulin to send all them yummy nutrients straight to the muscle eating **** food is ok now and again but it's a habit that can be broken if you eat healthy like lean and clean all the time you don't even want ****** food it's like I like the taste of pork but I don't eat it because of how ****** the meat is its not lean or clean
Like I said before you either make the choice or it will be made for you there is a lot of planning involved

A quick question for people. how many injections and blood tests do you take ever day ?

To bodybuilder type1..... Eat lean and clean like horse meat eh! Pity muslce pumping doesn't grow your brain, then you may talk some real sence instead of the self worship **** that you do.....pushing your way to front of a queue and using diabetes as your reason kind of reveals your immaturity. :lol:

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!

Bodybuilder type1 said:
Sarah69 said:
That seems an awful lot of injections in a day! I only have 4 and only test my blood 4 times a day.

Do you only consume 3 meals a day which contain carbs/sugars ?

Yes the normal breakfast, lunch and tea. However many meals a day do you eat then?

kjw123

Bodybuilder type1 said:
Well I would love if everyone had diabetes haha if everyone was a type1 diabetic none of us could moan because everyone would have it and everyone would just have to get along with it and we would all be just "normal" hAha .
A woman I have known for years came up to me in the pub one night and said I have diabetes the first thing I said was congratulations ! she looked shocked i said thats great news i explained how i thought it was a good thing. now is the time you turn your life around and become a competent confident woman she said no one else had ever responded to the news in a positive way and it was a good change .you become what you think about if you think about bad things bad things are more prone to happen if you get proactive now and focus on the better things then you think about it differently . A good nlp/hypnosis trick to use is
Try thinking about your goals in your mind as if you could see them on a big cinema screen .big, bright pictures bring them close to your mind and focus on them if you keep focusing on bad things then they say imagine you see your fears and distractions are on that screen well make them small in the minds eye have them very far away ,with only black and white. And they keep getting smaller my brain responded to this technique it does not work for everyone
But it might change your life muuhahahahah aaaa

To Bodybuilder type1.....this has to be biggest load of rubbish you have written so far....now I realise your purpose is just to wind people up which is is evident in......."muuhahahahah aaaa".....something a 5 year old would put I guess.

I'm all for people expressing an opinion but not someone that express their opinion on other's as if it is the whole truth.

Bodybuilder type1

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App[/quote]

To Bodybuilder type1.....this has to be biggest load of rubbish you have written so far....now I realise your purpose is just to wind people up which is is evident in......."muuhahahahah aaaa".....something a 5 year old would put I guess.

I'm all for people expressing an opinion but not someone that express their opinion on other's as if it is the whole truth.[/quote]

Wow I made someone mad lol
The muuhahahahah a aaaa was a joke because people will often think that people are being crazy to say something like I said it was funny well I thought it was. if you don't find it funny that's ok we don't all have a sense of humour
Seing as you know what and what not I am saying is right. can you please explain how I am trying to wind people up ?
Instead of just pointing the finger and saying I'm talking a load of **** please explain where I am going so wrong
For one thing I was asked to give a talk on diabetes at a local school I gave talked to new diabetics at my hospital and am currently working with a young guy from where I live to help him and to show him that diabetes is grand it's more than grand its great !

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!

You think having diabetes is great??

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Sarah69 said:
You think having diabetes is great??

It made me choke on a peanut too :shock:

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

Bodybuilder type1

Sarah69 said:
Bodybuilder type1 said:
Sarah69 said:

Do you only consume 3 meals a day which contain carbs/sugars ?

Yes the normal breakfast, lunch and tea. However many meals a day do you eat then?

"Normal" can not be used with people but how and ever I take a injection every time I eat or need to bring my sugar level down a bit I take a injection every time I eat .not including my 12 hr shot ,if I eat 9times a day I take 9injections I eat two breakfasts 3dinners and a protein shake with 1360 calories and snacks all lean all clean I keep my body anabolic most of the time but if I want to loose a bit of weight I try go catabolic and use fat as energy black pepper is great for fat loss beet root is great for increasing blood flow

Bodybuilder type1

[

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App[/quote]

To bodybuilder type1..... Eat lean and clean like horse meat eh! Pity muslce pumping doesn't grow your brain, then you may talk some real sence instead of the self worship **** that you do.....pushing your way to front of a queue and using diabetes as your reason kind of reveals your immaturity. :lol:[/quote]

Well actually yes it does grow your brain look it up also I could have not been effected by horse meat because I do not eat burgers or mince.that is not lean or clean, so shove it !
Muscle is the best bit of any animal and horse is just muscle there is nothing wrong with eating horse in fact I would eat it before I would touch most beef and I am a chef ! Where is the self worship I am telling people they can live healthy you are so funny you would rather think bad of me being happy because your not happy ,no who's the selfish one ?? And you too mate can change that attitude

And if that is immature to skip the line then yep I must be immature or a genius! whooooopaa !! Haha :) as I said before use diabetes to your advantage always

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Bodybuilder your name seems to say it all. I didn't want to comment on the things you were saying,but felt I had to say something.

I dont think you are delibratley winding people up,Its just who you are, but to me you come across as, I'm a body builder...........and hey,I've got diabetes........... did I tell you that I'm a bodybuilder and I've got diabetes, WE ALL KNOW YOU ARE A BODYBUILDER and HAVE DIABETES. I HAVE DIABETES TOO, an active person in my mid 50's with a 12 yr old, a carer for my elderly parent, and many medical conditions to boot. Its the unsung heros that get my respect and admiration. Bodybuilder, less is more sometimes. I'm afraid I take most of what you have said with a pinch of salt :thumbdown: You certainlyseem to have set the cat amonst the pidgeons, haven't you?

RRB

Status
Not open for further replies.