Metformin

Martyn jack

My meds have recently changed from 40 mg gliclazide to 2x500 metformin. I have been suffering from aching muscles for days and when I checked my sugar this afternoon it has jumped to 16, normally stable at around 5/6. Doc suggests no statin until I can see him tomorrow. Panic button pressed! Any comments welcome

amandajane

I am no expert, but Metformin has never had that effect on me. Could you be unwell with flu like symptoms of aching and high BS? I have heard that statins can cause muscle aches - so have always turned them down. I am sure there will be someone along soon with greater knowledge and expertise.......

Gillian

BobCornelius

There is a lot of stuff out there linking statins with muscle pain! In my opinion, statins do this, but I personally have other pain issues being treated, so no noticeable muscle pain on 40mg Simvastatin per day.

Were you taking Metformin and Gliclizide together?
Normal or slow release metformin?
Why did your meds change?

I know, so many questions! :D

Edit: Welcome to the Forum!! :)

:)

Bob

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, why did your meds change? Metformin is a good drug but won't have much effect on your blood sugar. If your pancreas is in a reasonable state then Gliclazide can have quite a big effect on sugars. Neither drug is know for causing muscle aches, but statins can. What was your last HBa1C and are you overweight?

Martyn jack

Hi, thanks for replying. My nurse put me on metformin due to changes in dvla rules which, it transpires, have no impact on me. I was getting on fine with gliclazide and statins with no major side effects and very good BG control. Cheers, M

Lesley r

My dr has put me on top level oral meds metformin x 4
Glyclazide x 2
Junevia x1
Then announces he's off on his hols till after Easter if I have anymore problems see practice nurse, thanks for your concern!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

BobCornelius

Hi Lesley,

30 is not good, that's for sure!

I've done the range from 33+ to 1.6, but control is out there!

Don't trust other people to understand, places like KFC I have insisted on a bottle of Pepsi Max, not from their dispensing tap!

What kind of numbers are you averaging?

:)

Bob