Pumps for small children?

layla42

Hi,

I have a 3 year old daughter with Type 1 diabetes. Our consultant has just retired and the new one is very "into" pumps. She has suggested informally to our diabetic nurse that my daughter would be a good candidate for a pump.

I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how difficult or easy this would be, how suitable, effective etc???

I am a stay at home mum and competent at maths so should be able to manage the carb counting. I worry about school and if anything happened to me - as she is too young to be in charge of it herself.

Any help appreciated thanks,

Layla x

layla42

Thank you so much for your quick and helpful reply!!! That website looks great too, I'll have a good look round it - just read the bit about toddlers and pumps, it sounds ideal. I would think Grace would have packed lunches when she starts school (in a year's time) as she has always been a fussy eater so that will help...

I just bought some nutriscales and got them out yesterday. I've started a little document on the computer noting down carbs in things she eats so I can get an idea of it - mainly because the nurse had already said our new consultant is into carb counting so I thought I'd get a head start... I've also started a course on the internet about carb counting too.

Thanks again, will go and investigate that website further xxx

C.J.

Hi.

I have a two year old son who is a T1 diabetic. He has just gone onto 4+ injections a day and the knowledge of carb counting would be very useful, it will also help when and if we transfer to the pump. I just read your post and you said you were doing a carbcounting course on the internet. Could you please give me the address of that site :) .

If anyone reading this has a young toddler who has had success with the pump would you mind sharing your experience with me. I am considering the pump for my son of 2 1/2 years and would like to know how others with children of that age have got on with the pump.

Claire.

kaz

Hi :D
My daughter is 3 and diagnosed last year T1. We had our 1st trainning session on weds and it went really well!! We were really apprehensive but our diabetic nurse is brillint!!!!. Gigi has been wearing her pump ever since (not yet connected) we sourced a bumbag from America and she has been wearing it into nursery. Myself and hubby have been doing our homework and we have a revision on weds and then we will using the insertion device and we have both decided that we will wear a cannula too just to show her that we too are brave!!! Whilst at the hospital on weds we were told that her blood tests came back positive for Cealiac disease but that she has to go back for a biopsy. Has anyone else had this experience?

C.J.

Hi S.

Thanks for the information of the carbs site - I have had a look and it seems very helpful. :mrgreen:

Claire.

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Kaz
was scouring through the posts and came across yours. My son Andrew tested positive to coeliac disease 2/2/07 a year after being diagnosed with T1 diabetes, and went on to test positive through an endoscopy, so i'm afraid Gigi will probably do the same. Any questions re endoscopy/coeliac disease, i'm here for you.
Take care,
Suzi x

kaz

Hi Suzi
Thanks for your reply its good to hear from someone else in the same boat! How are you getting on? People that I have been talking to have said the the coeliac is hardrer to deal with especially with children. About the biopsy is it a big thing? Will there be much pain? Have you any hints or tips?

Thanks
Kaz

suzi

Dislikes
Hi Kaz,
The endoscopy is relativily painless, Gigi will have an anaesthetic so will be totally asleep during the procedure, a small tube is passed down her throat and a very small piece of gut is removed for testing. Procedure takes about 15-20mins and will wake in recovery to plenty of hugs and fluids. Andrew didn't even have a sore throat after, this was his 3rd anaesthetic, having had a tooth and his tonsils removed. Test results should be back within 2-3 wks, or sooner depending on the lab. It is important to continue giving normal meals containing gluten/wheat until endoscopy is carried out, for a correct result.
If you go onto the Diabetes Uk webstite there is a link to Coeliac disease and also Coeliac Disease UK website has tonnes of imformation. We cope pretty well, though i'm a cr*p baker, never have got to grips with the flour!! it takes a bio degree in physics to work out recipes, as gluten free flours don't have the same raising/mixing properties as normal flour. Spend a small fortune on gluten free products, some are good some are like my baking cr*p.
Have you a date yet for Gigi's endoscopy? Hope things are well regarding her Diabetes
Take care
Suzi x

kaz

Hi Suzi

Just the thought of her being put to sleep will give mw nightmares!! LOL (overprotective mum!!). We are going live with the pump on Dec 2nd but anything will be better than the injections she has taken a real dislike to them recently. Overall her control isnt too bad but we have to check her at 2.30am as she is having hypos and not waking up!
we are looking forward to her going live with the pump although it will be hard to start and i will have to go into nursery everyday to bolus but if it makes her happier then it makes us happier.
We have no date yet for the biopsy consultant said it could take a couple of months and i suppose it will give us a chance to get our heads around the pump.
How are you finding things?

Kaz

suzi

Dislikes
Hi Kaz,
things beginning to get better, new to DAFNE regime but getting there, going to carb counting class tommorrow, feels like i'm going back to school! just hope i'm not in the back row, i'm a sucker for a good carry-on :lol:

Don't worry about biopsy, the hardest part (for us mums especially) is when they put them under anaesthetic, Gigi will be fine.(Andrew had tonsils out when he was 3)
Getting a pump must be exciting for Gigi, i work in a playgroup with 3-5yr olds, she'll be showing it to everyone and will probably be so excited about it, whilst you'l be on tender hooks all day, she'll be fine. Tell her i think she's very special and brave xoxoxo

Goodluck with it all, i'll be thinking of you,kept in touch and take care
Suzi x

olliedig

Hi

My son (now five) has been on a pump since the summer holidays last year. It was mad at the time because we were dealing with him starting school and having the pump. He is on an animas 2020 and although we have had a few teething problems he is doing really well. The school has been fab and deals really well with giving him bolus doses and checking his bloods. He has always taken packed lunches (he is very very fussy) and we list what he has got in his lunch box and how many carbs are in it and then have another list with what dose to give him.

If you want to chat more that would be great - I understand how scarey it is sending them off to school with a pump attached. :D

Fearless Finn

I just registered for this website - and I am so delighted to find other people who actively think about their diabetes self care and figure out new ways of getting in control of their insulin use.

My youngest daughter has had Type 1 Diabetes since the age of 5 and is now 25 years old. She has been on insulin pump for the past 4 years and in that period has had one gorgeous baby and is now expecting her second one - 17 weeks into her pregnancy. If anyone doubts that pump therapy will not help them, I would like to offer some evidence from my daughter's experience. From two months into pumping, her HbA1c has NEVER been above 6%, the latest one 4.3% at 15 weeks pregnant, a working mum with a 15-month-old toddler to look after!

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
excellent we have a real Diabetes Nurse on board! Hope you can stick around!