Diabetic nurse advise to me

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All

I went to see my diabetic nurse last wednesday and she looked through my blood glucose dairy where it showed untold amounts of HYPOS through the weeks. She then asked me what do i do if i have highs of which i replied if over 16 i do a correction dose of insulin, she then asked how do i treat hypos of which i said i have some lucazade then i eat some food with carbs in to bring my levels back up. I had not seen this nurse before but she then rang me a few days later telling me not to do no correction doses of insulin and instead of doing my 1-1 ratio (1 unit of insulin to each 10g carbs) to do 0.5-1 ratio (0.5 units of insulin to each 10g carbs)
i thought this to be abit strange as i have never known of anyone doing this before but i thought i would give anything a try. But a few days on my sugar levels are really high as i am not having enough insulin, so my hubby said don't do it anymore high sugars will cause more harm then good my levels were ranging from 18 to 24. I'm seeing my consultant wednesday to see what he says but i find her idea very strange.

tracey167

iHs

Hi

I can understand where your dsn is coming from as she wants to help you stop having the amount of hypos that you are getting. However, it seems as though the 0.5u per 10g carb is making you go the other way. How about 0.7u per 10g carb instead or use 1u per 12g carb (which might be easier to work out). Also, what is your target bg level that you are aiming for before you eat your main meals?

bethan90

It is quite a jump to half your insulin like that so I agree with post above- maybe try a different ratio. Also, it is correct that you shouldn't give corrections 18-24hours following a hypo. This is because it can lead to more hypos and then hypers, then more corrections lead to more hypos, etc etc.

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Thanks for your replies, i am going to see my diabetic consultant on tuesday i will speak to him about it, i understand the not doing a correction dose 18-24hrs after a hypo but the DSN told me not to do any corrections at all but when i done a glucose test the other day my levels was 24 before dinner so if i done a 0.5 unit dose to what i was eating i would'nt be able to get that level down.

tracey167

iHs

Tracey167 said:
Hi

Thanks for your replies, i am going to see my diabetic consultant on tuesday i will speak to him about it, i understand the not doing a correction dose 18-24hrs after a hypo but the DSN told me not to do any corrections at all but when i done a glucose test the other day my levels was 24 before dinner so if i done a 0.5 unit dose to what i was eating i would'nt be able to get that level down.

tracey167

Hi

What bg level are you correcting to (your target) using your correction factor and the 100 rule. On MDI you should only be correcting if you need to, before your main meals and not mid morning or mid afternoon unless your bg level is way above 15mmol for instance. Although your total daily dose is a bit too much, what is it anyway?

In my book, a good bg level for someone who has lost some of their awareness is to aim for a bg level of 7mmol before each main meal and allow for a bg level to reach 9-10mmol by mid morning/mid afternoon (if lower than that, then probably need to eat a small carb snack) and then hopefully bg level will fall back to being somewhere between 6-7mmol before the next meal is due.