Alternative to sugar

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was wondering whats the best alternative to sugar. i dont need it for tea or coffee but baking only. i dont really like the taste of sweeteners (Ive tried few and then gave up on trying different brands) and try to avoid them. They seem to be not very healthy and full of chemicals (maybe Im wrong here?). Ive been using fructose for baking and it works fine for me but Ive been wondering if there is any better alternative. Ive heard of Stevia (pure,green powder) or agave nectar (Ive heard though its similar to fructose). Whats your favorite alternative to sugar used in baking that tastes nice? Thanks a lot for advice

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've tried truvia, mostly in porridge, and its not too bad. I also baked some bran buns and tried it there. Again it was OK. Neither were as good as sugar though but better than sweeteners.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks :) I will try Truvia. I think its available in my local supermarket

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Whats wrong in using fructose? I know you will end up with few extra carbs (but still less than sugar and lower GI) but the taste is great. Is there anything about fructose I dont know?!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
ewelina
Fructose is thought to be very harmful. There's a lot of evidence against it. Yes it does have a good taste, but I no longer use it. It doesn't follow the same metabolic pathways as glucose, so it doesn't raise blood glucose, but it's bad points are many. Just Google them
I have bought some fairly pure Stevia [the sweet taste in Truvia] on-line. The amounts used are TINY, so even if it's pricey, it's good value.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ive just looked up on internet. It seems to be bad :( not sure if worse than sweeteners but its bad :( :( I feel devastated now. i really dont like the taste of sweeteners and was looking for some alternatives. Agave nectar not great, all the sweeteners are like pure chemical mix. tried to mix sweetener with fructose and I thought i had found the best option.
Is pure Stevia ok for baking? Does it taste nice? i know its natural so I hope it wont leave that terrible after taste.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Stevia all the way!

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

volaer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Don't like pricking...
I think stevia is still the best choice. It's natural, that's the best thing unlike
Other artificial sweeteners.

Sent from the Officially Diabetic

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have just ordered stevia online. Tomorrow im going to make some cake or dessert. Hope it will be nice. Thanks for advice :)

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ive tried xylitol as well. It tastes good and doesnt affect sugar levels. Im not sure about safety as there are some bad reviews and it seems to be similar to fructose (metabolised through the liver)

ulidian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been using xylitol for some time with no ill effects. great in all places that I would normally use sugar, espically with Rubarb

misterdj

Ewlina did you bake a cake with stevia? How did it turn out?

I tried to make some ice cream with stevia and it was a bit of a disaster as i couldnt get the amount right. But ive had some stevia chocolate which is good so going to persevere>

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
To be honest i dont like Stevia's taste. i know its all natural and i bought a bag of it but i dont think i will use it much. It leaves that horrible after taste which i hate :( Ive tried Splenda and i like it much more. Probably its not very healthy but at least i enjoyed what i baked