FROZEN VEG

brunodog25

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
HOSPITALS AND CERTAIN STAFF DOCS NBOT BEEN STRAIGHT WITH ME PREFER TRUTH THEN GET IT OVER AND DONE WITH
HELLO, I ASKED MY WIFE TO CHECK THE FROZEN PEAS, AND SWEET CORN AS I HATE TO SEE HER CARRYING TINS, AND WITH BEEN DIAGNOSED IN DEC GONE IT IS ALL NEW TO US . SHE HAD A LOOK IN THE SUPERMARKETS THIS MORNING AND SAID SHE WAS UNSURE WHETHER TO BUY THEM OR NOT AS THE SUGAR LEVEL WAS 9.2. WETHER PER PORTION OR BAG SHE COULDN'T SEE. WE BOTH SAID AT THE SAME TIME THEY SAY THAT FROZEN VEG IS EVEN FRESHER THAN ANY APART FROM GROWING IT YOURSELF SO I WONDERED IF ANY READERS HAD ANY IDEAS
THANK YOU
JOHNTY

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Frozen veg is excellent quality and value for money. However, not all vegetables are low in carbs. Pulses [peas, beans and lentils] all have significant amounts of carbs, either sugars or staarches. Corn is a grass, so its seeds contain starch. In fact the Americans call cornflour "cornstarch" and you can certainly starch cloth with it.

I do eat these vegetables, but in SMALL portions. In fact the easiest way to reduce carbs is to have smaller portions. [a portion of veggies is as much as you can hold in you hand.]
One of the best things about frozen veg is that it avoids waste. You use as much as you need.
I also believe it's better than canned, because canned veggies have been cooked under pressure at high temperatures during the manufacturing process.
Root veggies can be high in arbs too. So carrots and onions contain sugar and parsnips and potatoes contain starch.
As a general rule, if food is sweet, it contains sugar. [hence fruits!] Starch thickens liquids!
Hana

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Jonhty, frozen vegetables will not have any more sugar in them than tinned or fresh vegetables, a veg is a veg. However sometimes sugar is added to processed vegetables.

Check the Carbohydrate content per 100grams and work out the portion size you are cooking and that will tell you the amount of carbs in that portion of veg.

For example if a bag of frozen peas says 9.7g per 100grams and you eat 50 grams then its easy to work out that that portion will contain half of 9.7g which would be 4.4 (4.35g rounded up). To work out more complicated portions just divide the grams per 100 by 100 and then multiply that answer by the amount of grams in the portion you will eat.

ie. a food with 10g carbs per 100g of food and you eat 45g. Divide the carbs per 100g, 10g by 100 = 0.1 then times that by the portion size of 45g. 0.1 X 45 = 4.5g. This is best done with the help of a calculator.

Most Microsoft keyboards have a dedicated button to open the Windows calculator just look for a picture icon of a calculator.

The of which part sugars is best ignored as it just tells you the amount of sugar in a food when all carbohydrates will turn to Glucose in our intestines. So always check the Carbohydrates and ignore the sugars.

The sugars just give you an indication of the GI (Glycemic Index) of a food, that tells you how hard and fast a food will be converted into glucose in the intestines, a lower GI food will be digested over a longer period so will have a lesser effect on blood glucose levels for a given amount of carbs as they are digested over a longer period and will enter the blood stream slowly, little by little. A very high GI food ie 'sugar' will be converted to glucose faster and enter the blood stream almost all at once so effecting blood glucose levels more

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Frozen Peas have 9g carb per 100g
Frozen Sweetcorn (Tesco) has 19.6g carb per 100g

I live in France and need to count carbs for insulin use .
Interestingly, the dietitian here puts sweet corn in the feculent category ie a starch . (so would be considered in the same way as potatoes and pasta and form that part of a balanced meal, rather than the veggie part) .
I have to say though I don't find it needs as much insulin as the potato (I think a lot doesn't get digested :roll: )

Peas sit in between, as Hana says they are technically a legume.(which are normally treated as feculents) They are treated as a veg that has to be counted carefully when calculating carbs in a meal.

brunodog25

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
HOSPITALS AND CERTAIN STAFF DOCS NBOT BEEN STRAIGHT WITH ME PREFER TRUTH THEN GET IT OVER AND DONE WITH
HI THANK YOU BOTH FOR REPLYING QUICKLY THOUGH 1 THING I SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED I AM TYPE 2 ORAL MEDS FOR NOW SEE IF A CHANGE AGAIN IN A MONTH OR SOS TIME
THANK YOU
JOHNTY

volaer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Don't like pricking...
Corn is better than rice. Though it has a high carb content, it has an anti diabetic properties like manganese.

Sent from the Officially Diabetic

brunodog25

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
HI I KNOW PEOPLE ARE SAYIONG USE THE GI SCALE NOT THE SUGAR BUT WHAT IS THE NUMBERS ONE SHOULD BE LOOKING FOR AS NOTHING IS SAID WHAT TO WORK FROM AND TO AND WHAT ARE TE BEST FIGURES FOR DIABETICS I FEEL A NUMBSKULL HAVING TO ASK WHEN I WAS A Q NURSE BUT THERE WASN'T GI SCALES WHEN I WAS NURSING GOODNESS KNOWS WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN IF THE CONSULTANT DECIDES TO PUT ME ON INSULIN WHEN MY DAILY STEROIDS ARE INCREASED IT WILL BE ANOTHER BALL GAME ON A DIFFERENT PITCH BUT THER WIFE AND MYSELF HAVE GOT THIS FAR WITH HELP FROM THE FORUM AM SURE WE CAN DO ANY OTHER STAGES
THANK YOU ALL
JOHNTY