bs

lopper

i tested my sugar level a little time ago 3.3
i had a bite sinse
any ideas on a quick pick me up
tia

Addy

I use full sugar fanta, it works fairly quickly.

...falling is not the problem, it's when you land...

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Lopper

A glass of fruit juice concentrate is good (something like breakfast orange).

fergusc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
When I've been a bit low, I've tried everything to see what brings me back up quickly, but also doesn't send me too far the other way.

There's nothing quite so depressing as a low followed by a high, then everything begins to unravel.

In the end, I've found that Dextrosol tablets do the job very well. I know fairly accurately how much 1 tablet will raise my bs, so it's much easier not to overshoot. 1 tablet typically raises my bs by 0.7mmol/l, so 3.4mmol/l plus 2 dextrosol would get me to 4.8, 3 would get me to 5.5 etc etc.

Plus they taste fine, easy to carry around and last forever.

All the best,

fergusc

sofaraway

I use glucose tablets normally, as i find this easiest not to overtreat with.
i get really really thirsty when I'm low so juice, lucozade aren't ideal as I will drink far too much.

Rick

Got to be a good chocolate bar, anything really but my favourite is biscuit Boost.
By-the-way, how much levemir/lantus are you on fergusc; as one dextrose tablet would cover a hypo as well as any chocolate bar, if I had three my blood sugar would be about 20. I take about 10-14 units of levemir and just be interested to see the differences.

Cheers,
Rick.

fergusc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi Rick,

I'm on 12 units of Humalog and 8 units of Lantus per day at the moment. I'm amazed that 1 Dextro has the same effect as a chocolate bar for you. There's got to be, what, 50g of carbohydrate in a typical bar and 3g in a Dextro tablet? The fat in the bar could be slowing things down for you, what would your levels be, say, a couple of hours later?

All the best,

fergusc

Rick

This afternoon I went for a 1.5hr bike followed by a 1.5hr run, my blood sugar was 7.3 when I started and I had a Twix 45mins in, a dextrose tablet at 1.5hrs and another tablet at about 2hrs 15mins. I expected my reading to be around 4 when I got back and was pleased to see it was 3.8 - bang on! Golly I was pleased!
I've don't tend to look at the pure carb levels of food, only the sugar content and, am I not right in saying, is dextrose not just like pure sugar?
This is all very interesting; I've spent the last four years just sorting myself out without ever thinking that things such as this varied so much between people.
Thanks for the feedback.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Rick,

Anything ending in "ose" is pure sugar.

Fugs

You can buy some stuff in Boots and probably most other chemists. It's called hypostop and costs about £4. I've never tried it as I always hyper but a good friend who's been diabetic for over 40 years swears by it

Out of my mind,
Back in 5 minutes

>^..^<